Obscure/Mysterious Drum Corps

OK, I like reading about Drum Corps before my time (waaaaay back when) and every now and then I come across a corps that sounds a like different. Either the name sounds a little bizarre or the location doesn't quite sound like a area where a corps would come from. There are some really informative web sites of DC but sometimes I feel like I ate one mouthful of a great meal and want MORE....

Anyway here is my "A" list of corps I am trying to find out about. Anyone have corps to add to the list?

Jr - Any corps from Hawaii (yes they used to exist)

Sr - Boomba Bombers from Portsmouth, NH. The Boomba (Bomba?) AL Post still existed in the early 90s when I took a business trip to Portsmouth.

???? - Bought a old pin off of eBay that has "On to Detroit - Malden Drum and Bugle Corps". Did some digging and it might be from an AL/VFW convetion in Detroit, but no corps from Malden are listed.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked Brain Tolzmann who is a drum corps historian and who frequently posts on Sound Machine.....this is his reply;

Yes, Hawaii has had quite a number of corps. There were about 10 corps active in the 1950's to early 1960's....50th State Diamonds, Koloa Scouts, St. John's Knights, Honolulu Scouts, Johnson Island, St. Roch, etc..

One corps from Hawaii is even listed as being field active during the DCI era.....The King's Guard appeared at a band contest in Hawaii back in 1978, thus being declared as field-active.

The Booma Bombers (one of my favorite names) were very active in local and national shows way back. Good to hear their post is still around.

The "On To Detroit" pin is a stumper. Does it look like it's REALLY old? It could be from the 1931 Legion Nationals in Detroit. (The slogan sounds like one that could be old.) There were lots of other Massachusetts corps there. Perhaps Malden didn't raise the funds to actually attend, since Malden doesn't appear to have had any corps there. It could also be from the 1960 or 1968 VFW Nationals.....another failed attempt to raise funds to attend in Detroit. Malden had quite a number of corps, so who knows. Sounds like a real keepsake!

BT

Thanks for the reply and yes, Brians name is very familiar from reading the History of Drum Corps books.

Ironic thing about the Bombers is that my wife and I were supposed to go to Portsmouth this summer for vacation. Real life and foot surgery got in the way. Hope to get there next year and get a photo of the Post.

Did some Googling on the Malden pin and the company that made it was in business from 1880s-1950s. I'm guessing along your line, it was the '31 AL convention and Malden never made it. Oh the stuff you find on eBay.....

Did some Googling on the Malden pin and the company that made it was in business from 1880s-1950s. I'm guessing along your line, it was the '31 AL convention and Malden never made it.

....or maybe they did. Not all corps participated in the field contest. "Back in the day", the convention parade was a big deal, and some corps would travel long distances just to represent their state in the parade.

Did some Googling on the Malden pin and the company that made it was in business from 1880s-1950s. I'm guessing along your line, it was the '31 AL convention and Malden never made it.

....or maybe they did. Not all corps participated in the field contest. "Back in the day", the convention parade was a big deal, and some corps would travel long distances just to represent their state in the parade.

Hey something I never knew before, thanks.... I've read that some of the AL parades in the 20s/30s lasted all day but didn''t realize that some corps did the parade only. According to the History of Drum Corps Vol I, Malden was not at prelims or finals. Maybe they just took the train for the parade and some hard core Legionnaire partying.

Mysterious Corps":

I came accross a corps called the "Burdett Golden Zippers" in a VERY old issue of Drum Corps News (mid 1960s). They were said to have been sposnored by the Burdett Zipper Company. I don't remember if it was a hoax or not, but Dick Blake, the Editor of DCN published a letter from someone claiming to be a member.

Elphaba

I seem to remember a discussion on RAMD or DCP awhile back about an all girls corps sponsored by Hormel...weren't they called the Chili Beans or something like that?? Something really odd...

I seem to remember a discussion on RAMD or DCP awhile back about an all girls corps sponsored by Hormel...weren't they called the Chili Beans or something like that??  Something really odd...

Spam Girls from Austin(?), MN. Hormel used the corp for publicity after WWII. History of Drum Corps II has a pretty interesting write up and pics on them.

Yeah, THAT Spam... :P

OT, but mentioning Spam and Hawaii together is something any kama'aina

could "talk story" about--

Howzit, Ron H??? :P