Where are all the TRADITIONS gone....

To fix scoring they need field judges doing ticks and the rest of the judges doing subjective score.

Well said...........but then again, that's to prudent an idea. :worthy:

To fix scoring they need field judges doing ticks and the rest of the judges doing subjective score.

Well said...........but then again, that's to prudent an idea. :worthy:

Hmm, well isn't that what we used to have? Tics on the field and build up from the Stands? You know, the Corps move SO fast now that I think that it would be virtually impossible to do a fair tic system.

I can't remember exactly how they did it back then, but when a whole group of people made an error and each individual couldn't be counted, they would just do .5 automaticly or something like that. Was that fair? And if they chose not to "see" the mistake (wink,wink, say no more) then they didn't have to mark it down. Was that fair?

And then there is a level of judgement. There was one time I destinctly remember. For the one and ONLY time mid season, our flag line was ticked for having a little "space" between our two hands when our poles were at right shoulder arms. I mean, come ON now. The angles were so perfect that that was all the judge had to look at and penalize us for? Was he mad that he didn't have anything else to tic us for, so what the heck? I KNOW that no one REALLY had that much Space for heavens sake. So there you have that "subjective" tic thing going on. Why should we have been penalized for 1/4 of an inch of space showing the pole between our hands compared to another flag line not having their angles perfect or the timing of their flag work off? Each tic was still 1/10 of a point and could make or break a win.

If tics came back, they would have to hash out exactly what they are ticing. And with the advanced level of equipment work done at sonic speed now, I would think it would be impossible to do it fairly.

Edited by MsBusDriver

Ooooooh! And "inspections!" Let's bring them back, too!

Reading Maggie's comment about the space between hands on the pole being tic-ed because the rest of the stuff was so precise as to be un-tic-able that that would even be noticed.

I recall being on the starting line with Anaheim just before they left for 67 AL in Naw'leans. All American judges though they'd give us a harsh inspection as prep for Nationals. I can vividly recall Chief Judge Underberg working me over from top to bottom for a real long time because I was like ice.......Buckingham Palace guards had nothing on me! Finally after spending eternity going over me and my bari he finally tic-d me for the tinest amount of wear on the horn way down deep next to the piston someplace....just to teach me a lesson, I guess.

As the Chief Judge moved down the line, DM Bill Buckley came over to me and said something like "Man, from the look in your eyes, I thought you were ready to snap and kill him!"

Hey, it was our last competitive performance and the end of an undefeated local season....I wasn't gonna let down yet!

Retreats must remain! It's one of the most beautiful parts of the entire drum corps ritual......as meaningful in the stands as it is to those on the field, slightly different, but basically what it's all about.

As for changes, I blame the 60s and 70s. #### hippies couldn't leave things like they were: pushing the envelope and all that "creative" stuff. "We has met the enemy and they is us" sort of thing.

Interestingly enough, at least to me, I just got finished watching my old friend and once-fellow "young turk," Stan Knaub's guard clinic tape from Sharper Vision....thing is probably ancient, and in fact I just remembered he said he was 33 at time and he was just going around 50 when he passed a few years back...think I am 5 or 7 years older than he....point being they showed at the end of this thing a Band Of America performance and I was amazed how much it looked like modern drum corps.....in fact, it WAS drum corps: but with woodwinds.

So I guess the distinctions between drum corps performance and band performance at a national level are pretty blurred and have been for a long time?

Drum corps is band without reeds?

Not trying to start a fight but how big is the difference and does it really matter as long as it's just brass, percussion and some sort of auxillary unit?

Except for the un-plugged part, because that was the point in the first place: the loud stuff outside where they didn't have to stifle themselves for the sake of not overpowering strings and reeds.

I mean, if you were to redesign the beast, what would you do?

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3