Well DCI is trying to get rid of another true TRADITION of drum & bugle corps,

RETREATS!!!!!

Let's see over the past 20 years they've done away with:

- The starters pistol

- The TIC system

- The G BUGLE

- The Prelims - the ONE chance to make finals, now they have

quarters, semis and finals.

I know I'm missing at least a dozen or so more things DCI has changed in the best interest of modern drum corps. BULL!!!!

Unfortunately, DCI and it's BOD have stripped drum & TRUMPET corps of today,

of some of it's most valued drum & BUGLE corps TRADITIONS!!!!!!!!!

Pretty soon, those of us who built this magnificent activity during the first 80 years,

won't recognize it, some don't now.

NOW, DCI wants to take away the high caption awards at every show and get rid

of retreat. All for the sake of progress, more like degression to me, IMHO anyway!!

TRADITION in the DCI dictionary means "0"

During the first 80 years? ####, if you were around drum corps 80 years ago, you wouldn't recognize it in the 50's. If you were in drum corps in the 50's, you wouldn't recognize it in the 70's. Quit feeding me this crap that DCI is the only one to ever bring change to the activity.

No doubt drum corps has made many changes in the last 80s....some for the better, but I will say it has taken a turn towards the "marching band" corner. Why some BODs' think this is the route to go is beyond me! Sure we can thank the music majors getting involved with drum corps over the last 20 years.....it's the reason why most corps can now play musically.....but let's keep the rest of the "band" part out of it. God forbid woodwinds! :worthy:

Disclaimer: I am a cycnic when it comes to leaders making changes.

My three (cynical) thoughts are:

1) Some (Many?) DCI leaders are more familiar (or comfortable) with the Marching Band world so they are more apt to follow what MBs do.

2) There are more MBs and MB players than DCs so the MB people must be doing something right and DC must follow along the same lines. (Not my thoughts, the DCI leaders thoughts).

3) I've worked for the US Govt for almost 25 years and if things aren't going too well then you REORGANIZE EVERYTHING (readers of Dilbert) will understand. In DCIs case this year and the last instead of reorganizing its "tweaking/changes". Last year amps, this year no retreat/caption awards. Either they think making major changes like this help or someone is running scared.

I'd welcome any blasts at these, I started in corps in '74 and just don't understand why the major changes in only two years.

During the first 80 years?  ####, if you were around drum corps 80 years ago, you wouldn't recognize it in the 50's.  If you were in drum corps in the 50's, you wouldn't recognize it in the 70's.  Quit feeding me this crap that DCI is the only one to ever bring change to the activity.

Not sure how long you've been around, Maedhros, but the rate of change has risen exponentially since the formation of DCI. Some changes very beneficial, others not so hot. Just lately, pretty crappy.

During the first 80 years?  ####, if you were around drum corps 80 years ago, you wouldn't recognize it in the 50's.  If you were in drum corps in the 50's, you wouldn't recognize it in the 70's.  Quit feeding me this crap that DCI is the only one to ever bring change to the activity.

Not sure how long you've been around, Maedhros, but the rate of change has risen exponentially since the formation of DCI. Some changes very beneficial, others not so hot. Just lately, pretty crappy.

Actually, the changes made from 1942 to 1972 are as extensive as those since 1972 IMO.

Valves....slipslide....rotors....

New horns such as contras and mellos. Into the 50's there was a range limit from top to bottom....

Multi-drums such as tri-toms and latin percussion (bongos/timbales, etc).

Timpani, mallets (until the VFW put a stop to it for Boston in 69)

Double/triple basses

Guards that did guard work, even if very basic as compared to today.

The "cadence" requirement.

I'm sure there are others I'm missing.

Many of the things seen as major changes since 1972 are just expansions on things initiated before that time.

Of course, there have been lots of changes as well since 72, but I just don't see it as a disparate number to those that happened BEFORE 72.

Mike

well ####, they've already made the music anti-climatic, so why not keep that train rolling.

####, sooner or later they can have Corps fax their show in. [/sarcasm]

AH, BDL, that's on the agenda for the October meetings!!!!

That way all the corps can safe on travel and the kids don't have to break a sweat.

Not really but I just don't like the direction that DCI is taking this train. If they're not carefull this train could be derailed and soon, IMHO!!!!

well ####, they've already made the music anti-climatic, so why not keep that train rolling.

####, sooner or later they can have Corps fax their show in. [/sarcasm]

:worthy:

Yes, yes, yes!

Dci hasn't made any rules regarding a requirement for esoteric music that I know of. Although I guess in that regard GE makes more/less sense to me than ever.

As for retreats, as I'm sure you recall small shows won't have retreats but large shows (regionals, finals) will STILL HAVE RETREATS.

As for the tick system it was a horribly flawed system much like today's scoring system is. To fix scoring they need field judges doing ticks and the rest of the judges doing subjective score.

As for drum and trumpet. With inflation, gas prices, insurance prices and instrument prices the idea that a corps can buy new brass without worrying about not having a large source of customers to sell their old brass to is a good thing.

As for good changes: front ensemble (pit), shows are allowed to be a production rather than the old "opener, present colors, honor guard, drum solo, symmetrical" shows.

Now before I get lumped in with the "yay amps" crowd: I think that for the most part DCI is very perilously close to the point here they run out of changes to the activity.