Bass DRum heads

SpiritKid

so the best heads r, Evans,Remo SMooth White Emporer,and those foamy things on the outside....gotcha...thanks:)

BY THE WAY does anyone know what marching bass mallets Carolina Crown uses?.....they look like Vic Firth's old black models

woot!:-D

I can't speak for Crown but I never liked the Vic Firth mallets w/ the black shafts. I used them in college and they were hard to grip. The coating they used on the shafts just didn't absorb sweat and moisture like the natural wood finish does.

Another tip for placing foam on the outside of the head is to use 3M spray adhesive. Unlike silicon caulking glue, it will keep the foam in contact with the head.

Another tip for placing foam on the outside of the head is to use 3M spray adhesive. Unlike silicon caulking glue, it will keep the foam in contact with the head.

yeah, we used the yamaha foam on the inside and we had to super glue it on by the end of the season cuz it would keep comming off. we even reinforced it w/ the spray. the muffling still works/ed fine though.

Crown uses IP mallets taped with black tape....though, we used IP mallets at Coats and I didnt like the "fulcrum notch" thats in those mallets, took alot of get used too.

Vic Firth mallets all the way, and I also agree with the old school black VF mallets, I always scraped off the black on the bottom to get better grip...

as a player and a teacher ...i like evans.....yes you will pay more for them but the less time and effort it takes to make them sound good is worth the $$$...plus if you buy all the foam and glue...you will spend prolly around the same amount of $$.......

if your still stuck with remo....there is a great artical in the PASIC journal.....from one of the techs at cavies....about bass muffeling and tuneng.......it cam out prolly 2-3 months ago.....look it up and check it out a very helpfull read!.

Edited by wells84

Wow, I'm stunned that I'm hearing good things about the evans bass heads. Seriously, from everyone I've ever talked to (and my own opinion) I think they do not project well at all. I agree they are low maintenance and that the muffling system is good for those who dont have the money or experience with muffling to go for the remo and all the foam. But if you stand 20 yards away from an Evans bass line... it just doesn't do it for me. Off topic, but who in the top 12 uses evans?

-chris

Wow, I'm stunned that I'm hearing good things about the evans bass heads.  Seriously, from everyone I've ever talked to (and my own opinion) I think they do not project well at all.  I agree they are low maintenance and that the muffling system is good for those who dont have the money or experience with muffling to go for the remo and all the foam.  But if you stand 20 yards away from an Evans bass line... it just doesn't do it for me.  Off topic, but who in the top 12 uses evans?

-chris

The Evans bass heads are quality. I still prefer the Remo Emporers and the old school muffling technique but I used the Evans heads once w/ a high school line I taught. They had horrible Premier drums w/ no projection whatsoever. Those heads w/ proper tuning will sing.