2 valve saprano bugle

candie_366

Dynasty USA Bugle Fingering Chart

Bugles use trumpet fingerings, and from what I understand just ignore any notes written for third valve (for example, low D 1-3) because I was told they just didn't write those notes, or lipped it down (but I never played a 2-valve, so that's just hear-say)...happy blowing.

btw: Soprano

Edited by tubawarrior

Bugles use trumpet fingerings, and from what I understand just ignore any notes written for third valve (for example, low D 1-3) because I was told they just didn't write those notes, or lipped it down (but I never played a 2-valve, so that's just hear-say)...happy blowing.

Actually, it's because the old 2-valvers are physically incapable of playing 3rd valve notes in or below the staff (Low C#, low D, low Eb, middle Ab), so thye were never written. Above the staff you can play an Ab using the 1st valve and throwing the 1sy valve slide all the way in.

Above the staff you can play an Ab using the 1st valve and throwing the 1sy valve slide all the way in.

Some would call them A-flats. I would call them a close approximation thereof :P

That's one thing I don't miss about G horns anyway.

The other '84 B.D. Sam B)

Ahhh, what do YOU know....####ing French horn player! Trying to play on YOUR horn is like playing on the leadpipe!!

How ya been, Sam?? What's up with you...And Andy?

Y'know...my wife STILL laughs when I tell her stories of 1731 Pine St. #1...Andy jumping off the roof into the pool...Hedien ALWAYS being late to leave for Mars...about a billion people in a 2-bedroom apt, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a trick i learned this summer with SW. On a Bb horn when u play just hold down the third valve, by doing this it puts u in G. And while holding down the thrid valve play normaly with the same fingerings, as said b4 just ignore the third valve.

The Yetti

Heres a trick i learned this summer with SW.  On a Bb horn when u play just hold down the third valve, by doing this it puts u in G.  And while holding down the thrid valve play normaly with the same fingerings, as said b4 just ignore the third valve.

The Yetti

Except that puts the trumpet even more out of tune in G than the old G horns used to be. Still...that's how I trained myself after making BD...the most difficult thing for me was hearing the different key.

• 1 month later...
i have a 2 valve saprano bugle that i would like to learn to play but i can not find any info on how,

is there somewhere i can go to get a fingering chart or somthing so i can learn the fingering

or is there another instruments finering i can use that is the same

to the rescue I have no idea why a soprano would want to play below this so lets start at the effective range AND 1= first valve or closest to you in the playing position, 2= front valve, old horns it is rotor or slide, 1-2 is both valves. hear we go E=2 F=1 F#=2 G=0 A=1-2 Bb=1 B=2 C=0 C#=1-2 D=1 Eb=2 E=0 F=1 F#=2 G=0 Ab=1 A=1-2 Bb=1 B=2 C=0 C#1-2 D=1 Eb=2 E=0 F=1 F#=2 G=0 now just copy this chromatic scale to paper and you are set good luck any questions you can email nascarbmp88@yahoo.com

Heres a trick i learned this summer with SW.  On a Bb horn when u play just hold down the third valve, by doing this it puts u in G.  And while holding down the thrid valve play normaly with the same fingerings, as said b4 just ignore the third valve.

The Yetti

You should also pull the 3rd valve tuning slide way out to get it closer to the G bugle.

(This is how a lot of bandos first got the vibe of G bugle before auditioning/joining drum corps back in the day.)

Edited by strutta

• 2 weeks later...

Oh we played the low A flat and low D also, we just lipped it in!! As my mentor Pepe used to say, "the horn ain't out a tune, your ear is!!" He was the only person I know of who could play chromatic scales (on a G bugle of course) from C below the staff to C above the staff WITHOUT TOUCHING THE HORN. He would lay it on top of an upright piano, lean into it with his hands behind his back and play quarter note chromatic scales. This was his answer to you if you complained about the quality of a horn. After doing this he would just turn to you and say "Go home and practice, kid". Ah the joys of those old G bugles, you could make them play anything.....