I got my 1986 Legacy DVD yesterday.

Thanks Mike, and yes it was "Putting it together" after "Sunday in the Park with George", which I loved playing that opener. I was in the mellophone quartet.

I loved Les Eclipse that year! I remember doing a lot of shows with y'all that year.

Yep, remember Allentown that year? I think we had our best show and saw Phantom in the parking lot pulling their tapes from critique. I seem to remember almost beating them coming close to it, as well. I think we did beat Star once...so long ago!

:worthy:

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definately remember touring with you guys alot that year.

Yeah I remember Phantom - it wasn't a really good year for them (although '87 was phenomenal). And I'm pretty sure you beat Star somewhere during first tour. I think you either won the show, or came in second to Garfield.

Les Eclipses was the coolest corps. For some reason everyone thought that we could only speak French and couldn't understand English (although we kinda played along - we thought it was funny). The things people said about us - and the faces they made when we "All of a sudden" started to speak in English - priceless!!!!!!

One of my friends from Les Eclipses was marching in 27th's guard in '86. I think we were both really dissapointed after semi's. We had scored just under Sky Ryders in quarters, so we thought we had a chance at top 12. In semi's Sky ends up ninth, our score goes down 3 or 4 points, and we end up in 14th.

Didn't you guys go on like last at prelims???

It seems like yesterday!!!!!!!!

Later,

Mike

I definately remember touring with you guys alot that year.

Yeah I remember Phantom - it wasn't a really good year for them (although '87 was phenomenal).  And I'm pretty sure you beat Star somewhere during first tour.  I think you either won the show, or came in second to Garfield.

Les Eclipses was the coolest corps.  For some reason everyone thought that we could only speak French and couldn't understand English (although we kinda played along - we thought it was funny).  The things people said about us - and the faces they made when we "All of a sudden" started to speak in English - priceless!!!!!!

One of my friends from Les Eclipses was marching in 27th's guard in '86.  I think we were both really dissapointed after semi's.  We had scored just under Sky Ryders in quarters, so we thought we had a chance at top 12.  In semi's Sky ends up ninth, our score goes down 3 or 4 points, and we end up in 14th.

Didn't you guys go on like last at prelims???

It seems like yesterday!!!!!!!!

Later,

Mike

It seems like I remember you guys doing that to us! I had a southern accent and I was ragged on alot marching there in 27. Anyway, I seem to remember that somewhere we were talking to y'all alot. I remember somebody from the guard who was with Les Eclipse. Wasn't their also a guy who marched in the drum line with us from there as well? Anyway..I can't remember when we went on..old age you know! But I remember we were taking that group picture when the scores came across the intercom. We were so happy we thought for sure we had made finals. I remember George Z. was running around happy for us. :( Sad..Anyway..I remember we were worried about you guys beating us as well!

Oh the good ole days! :) Who did you age out with?

I got to age out with my all time favorite drum corps - The Cavaliers, so I guess I really can't complain. Got to march with them in '88 and '89 (after marching a horrible '87 year with Connexion Quebec).

We also had members who really couldn't speak English at all. I remember one of my friends ordering a coke with no glass ("glass" being the French word for ice). I was too busy trying not to laugh to help her out. :P

BTW - the guy on the drumline was her brother. They had been marching Lancers on and off since 1983.

Later,

Mike

Jacques something was his name... :worthy: Yes I remember them!

Lucky you, getting to age out with Cavaliers..I'm jealous! :P Oh well, I wouldn't have been able to march with them! But... :)

The only thing to say about BD in 86 is perfection. Every caption won. If anyone wants to know why the "BD Attitude" exists, just watch this show. No gimmicks, just pure excitment.

*starts to think '76 was only a dream*

:huh:

Rich (and Rob Brown actually),

'76 Blue Devils :worthy:

'78 Blue Devils :huh:

'82 Blue Devils :beer:

'84 Blue Devils :beer:

Those are my top 4 BD shows out of the 10-year span the two of you marched.

There....my good deed for the day

:angel: :beer:

Re the Spirit vocals in the opener...it's just scat.  One of Dream's mellos (who just walked up to the corps one day in '03 and said "Hey...you guys need a mellophone?") was in the corps that year, and I adsked him the same question last year.  I believe he still remembers it!

Dave Landers from Renegades was also in the line that year, so he might remember it too.

The "scat singing" was straight off the Manhattan Transfer Album. We did the first half of one phrase and the back half of the second phrase. With my best guess at spelling, to the best of my memory, what we actually "sang" was

"Flat dat bottle uut, skeet zoot za bottle uut, flappy za ba da doo dah, hands are flappin'

Ba do ba woot doot, deet doot dat doot, Shoot the liquor to me John Boy"

And yes, we all thought the staff was crazy as #### when they taught it to us the first day...... until the crowd reacted it to it every night, even if they couldn't understand it. 5 years of great shows and that was without a doubt, the most fun I had on the field every night. The staff did a GREAT job programming effect, after effect after effect into that show.

Later, AA

I think 86 Spirit is probably THE BEST Spirit I've ever watched or heard, ESPECIALLY after 85's BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-boring "Piano Concerto" show--eeeeeeeeeek...sheesh...but seriously 86 rocked! And Reginald (DM) was the COOLEST!! So was that black soprano player--TINY???--he rocked! And talk about all the fancy-schmancy choreography nowadays in corps...take a look at Spirit! They were WAY ahead of their time!!

I think 86 Spirit is probably THE BEST Spirit I've ever watched or heard, ESPECIALLY after 85's BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-boring "Piano Concerto" show--eeeeeeeeeek...sheesh...but seriously 86 rocked!  And Reginald (DM) was the COOLEST!!  So was that black soprano player--TINY???--he rocked!  And talk about all the fancy-schmancy choreography nowadays in corps...take a look at Spirit!  They were WAY ahead of their time!!

Sweet-Pea, I believe was his nickname...86 is my all time fave Spirit show...I would KILL to play the hymn and closer...justr amazing stuff!

Some stuff about 86,

Les Eclipse started thier season score sowewhere in the 30's.....

Madison Scouts, Spirit, Star, SuncoastSound & Garfield were neck and neck.

Garfield made a move late season.

Madison and Suncoast tied for 6th in Semis

Phantom beat Star early in the season

Les Eclipse moved up 50 points

We in Madison were tight all season with Spirit in guard :(

Edited by Cop