I got my 1986 Legacy DVD yesterday.

1986 was the first DCI championship I saw. Hence I ended up marching the Blue Devils in the early nineties when they let guys in the guard :) I always enjoy watching that year. The only show that doesn't sit well with me is Garfield's. Where is the colorguard. What were they thinking. Well they had a miraculous recovery. I didn't know 27th missed finals by a few tenths. It is the only year I really enjoyed the Cavaliers. I can't really distinguish there show from year to year afterwards. (well I remember the planets). Anyway BD was the winner that year hands down :grouphug:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some stuff about 86,

Les Eclipse moved up 50 points

Man, I had totally forgotten about that. We were getting beat by division III corps first tour. We really, really, really worked hard that year - I remember Garfield actually watching us practice - we were always soooo intense at rehearsals.

Plus it was such a fun show to do.

I can't image any corps being able to go up 50 points in a season nowadays!

Later,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...
I'm pretty sure that it was because of the '86 Velvet Knights that DCI made a rule stating that corps should wear a head cover.  Could just be a rumor though...

Could also be possible that hats/cover/shako/etc. (and the potential GE that goes along with that) other corps realized that it's not a good idea to march without them...

Anyone know more about this??  Anyone?

There is no DCI rule requiring headgear.

I do not know of a DCI corps that does not wear hats, but there are two top senior corps that do not. Empire Statesmen (current DCA champs) do not wear them so that the faces of the performers can be seen. Renegades wear sunglasses as headgear.

Now I do like Garfield from this year, dispite my previous comments, and i'm going to make more bad ones before I make any good ones. I think that the potential of this show was never lived up to. They spent too much time doing special events, i.e. The Statue of Liberty re-dedication, and not enough time on the show.

Actually, the one and only special event we did all summer did not get in the way of anything, and was a genius event for any drum corps to be involved in.

The one key item that held the corps back that year was the three or four winter camps we had cancelled do to freak snowstorms that always seemes to coincide with our camps.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, the one and only special event we did all summer did not get in the way of anything, and was a genius event for any drum corps to be involved in.

Except for the ice cold showers at 2 am ^0^

The one key item that held the corps back that year was the three or four winter camps we had cancelled do to freak snowstorms that always seemes to coincide with our camps.

w/Stp:

Phantom beat Star early in the season

They beat us the first four shows of the year. If you remember they came out strong with their 'old school' show, but just couldn't seem to clean or sell it by July. I really liked the concept of what they were doing that year. Great music.

Those who saw us early that year will remember quite a different show from what they saw in Aug. Gerbil Wheels? In all only about 2/3 of the music and half the drill survived the summer. The final product was a bit disjointed. I think Zingali and Sylvester were determined to kill us that summer. Good times. :whistle:

Many think that we won our first show in the history of the corps that July, but in reality we won two in 85. Serious trivia buffs know which ones. :huh: