Strad or Xeno?

BeachDrums

Hi All,

I have an opportunity to purchase either a Bach Strad 180/37 or as Yamaha Xeno 8335. I would appreciate some opinions on either trumpet. Use would be primarily indoors (not drum corps). I would especially be interested in Cadet responses as I know they use Xenos. Thank you in advance.

Eh, what's the bore on the strad? I know the 8335 is a .459 bore. The 8345 is a .462, and what we played on this year.

I prefer the bigger bore. Can get more air thorugh the horn.

But that's just me.

I have played both of horns and would not consider either, even if given to me for free.

I am a loyal Schilke owner and love them, for any amount of money nothing else comes close in tone, response, slotting, projection, and control in all registers over all dynamics.

Randy

Hi All,

I have an opportunity to purchase either a Bach Strad 180/37 or as Yamaha Xeno 8335.  I would appreciate some opinions on either trumpet.  Use would be primarily indoors (not drum corps).   I would especially be interested in Cadet responses as I know they use  Xenos.  Thank you in advance.

There is much, much more to the trumpet world than Bach or Yamaha. Both companies spend big bucks in advertising, however, to make you think that those are your only choices.

Regardless of what you hear from your band director, what you see in a magazine or read in this forum, the best advice is for you to play as many different horns as you can get your hands on. No pre-conceived notions, no marketing BS, no gimmicks. Just play and have a trusted set of ears listen to you. You just may be surprised at what you settle on.

I own a vintage Schilke and know it to be an amazing horn; it was hand-picked from the factory back in 1968 by a man who used to play side by side with Dizzy Gillespie. As well, I once had a Bach that was really good, but I had to play nine others to find it. One of my favorite horns ever was a 1978 Benge MLP that took me all the way from high school through my early professional years, but I foolishly traded it. My current axe is a Kanstul Chicago 1001 that I believe to be perhaps one of the finest horns I've ever played. It is a production horn, right off the line. No Reeves alignment, no smoke-and-mirrors. Just a truly responsive and resonant horn.

My point here is, in no way whatsoever should you limit yourself to just these two brands. Both manufacturers make a fine horn, both have good reputations, both are widely used. But there are other brands you should consider equally.

Edited by oldschoolVK

I auditioned a ton of Bachs and Yamaha when I was looking for a new horn.

The Yamaha are nice horns but the tone lacks character.

I don't see very many studio guys playing on Yama's.

Kanstul and Conn also make some great horns.Take a HARD look at the Conn vintage one.Its a sweet horn for the money.

Bachs can be absolutely great horns. They can get really rich sounds with fairly consistent tuning throughout all ranges. One horn will be great and the next horn will horrible. Make sure you play on the Bach before you buy it.

The Xeno doesn't quite have the brilliance of the Strad, but it can still make good sounds. The tuning get a little weird towards the upper register and I don't think its quite as easy to blow through. But you can count on every horn to play pretty much like the next one.

Played a Xeno in corps.

Play a Strad at home.

Like others have said, Bachs are inconsistant from horn to horn. I've played two nearly brand new Bach Strads that felt and played very differently. In fact, one of them is a complete piece of crap that is in the shop as I type this. I own a Bach that I like but the Xenos have much richer tone than any Bach I've ever played. However, the valves seem slow (maybe they just needed to be broken in). Whatever you choose, don't limit yourself to those two brands. Many other brands including Benge and certain Kings sound and play great.

If I decided to purchase a Kanstul Trumpet, which model would some of you recommend?

uh...neither i've hear good things about xeno but i still wouldn't get it and i will never ever touch a bach horn for the rest of my life...i absolutly despise them. If you take 4 horns of one model they all play differently. shilke's are okay getzen is up and comming but leblanc purchased a company based from france that i consider to be the best horns ever. its called coutois and if you wanna know more just pm me.

If I decided to purchase a Kanstul Trumpet, which model would some of you recommend?

Hi Mike,

My first question would be, what style of music do you play most? My second question would be, what model/set-up do you currently play? My third question would be what is it about your current horn that makes you most unhappy?

Regards,