1977 Seneca Optimists

I just watched 77 Optimists on the DVD - and I was very impressed with them. The use of the parachute was unique. The music was not your typical fare at the time. When I marched in 78, I was surprised not to see them in the running. What happened to them after 78? Was it the usual reasons (finances, management, etc.)?

Not nowing their particulars, the same thing that happened to most of the merged corps from CANADA!!!!!

People just lost interest!!!!!

Or a combination of things, no one really knows for sure, and if they do know, they aren't talking!!!!

Oakland Crusaders, Northstars right down the tube, that really sucks!!!!

Along with the corps folding a lot of pride in these corps went with them!!!!

Anyone from Seneca - please correct me if Imis-represent you here.

There was a big turnover of members in 78. Seneca took in a lot of members from a failing corps, the Kinsmen Crescendos from Peterborough, Ontario late in the off-season. There were noticeable differences in the marching style. In addition, to try to make the corps look "big" the drill was concentrated to the centre so there was never the full field coverage. I loved the "Sorcerer and the Latin" opener. I wish they could have taken a stab at that when they had a bigger hornline.

My future wife marched there that year. B)

When the Royal Coachmen disbanded in May a couple guys went to march in the drum line. From what I was told it was quite a part corps, but then, what corps wasn't LOL. I was not impressed with the '77 corps as I was the year before. Both Seneca and Oakland began to die at this point and even the addition of North Star didn't help to make drum corps big in Ontario.

What happened? Hmmmmm good question. Maybe some former members can help us here

With regard to Northstars, we had a problem in '77 and that just took the wind out of our sails. Kids from both Flying Dutchmen and Dutch Boy Cadets quit like wild fire after the '78 season which was nothing to write home about. In 1979, Northstars merged with the Guelph Royaliers and became a senior corps for one

season and then packed it in.

This is when the Cadets of Dutch Boy became just Dutch Boy and the rest is history. A change of staff and board members and in 1982 Dutch Boy won the

A-Class World Championship in Montreal. Then in 1990 Dutch Boy became the LAST Canadian corps to make the top 12!!!!