How Heavy is It?

BD_Fan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to try out a Bb euph from Dynasty once and it felt a whole lot lighter than its G counterpart. In terms of "player skill", that's something that I suppose varies from corps to corps. In Pioneer, we had 6 euph players, myself included, and had 2 of them playing the lead parts, 2 playing second, and 2 playing 3rd, while in CR, we all played the 3rd bari part. The range is a little less, and I suppose the bari will sound a little better in the upper registers. The weight/balance factor's already been discussed, but nobody's mentioned the darker tone of the euph (the reason I prefer it to bari) and the fact that it's a large-bore instrument.

The five pound ankle weight sounds brutal...I used to tie a pair of shoes together and hang them off the bell of my bari. It was ####, but when you took them off it felt like you weren't carrying anything at all...that horn just floated up there all by istelf.

As for the original question, it varies somewhat from corps to corps. I'd say the "standard" is a 1/3rd euph, 2/3rd bari split, with the lead baris carrying most of the melodic burden, with the euphs providing harmonies and often doubling the contra parts.

Regiment is very different...I hear they're all euph nowadays. Even when they were 2/3rds euph and 1/3rd bari, the competition was for the euph spots.

It's my understanding that (and I could be wrong)

that Kanstul G barry's weigh 8 or 9 lbs,

Kanstul G euph's are about 13 lbs.

You have to have large swinging nuts to carry either one ... (properly that is)

as for these Bb things, I have no idea what they weigh but I'm guessing they are pretty light ... saw some at DCA and had to remark, "That looks kind of small..." heh heh.

It's my understanding that (and I could be wrong)

that Kanstul G barry's weigh 8 or 9 lbs,

Kanstul G euph's are about 13 lbs.

You have to have large swinging nuts to carry either one ... (properly that is)

as for these Bb things, I have no idea what they weigh but I'm guessing they are pretty light ... saw some at DCA and had to remark, "That looks kind of small..." heh heh.

Kanstul's website says that the G bari is about 6.5 pounds, and the euph is 8 pounds.

academy's line was 10 baris on a 4-6 first/second split, with second part splitting occasionally, and 9 euphs (used to be 10 but we lost one too late in the season to replace him) that had split parts sometimes. in general, the parts were harder the higher up in range they got (lead bari)

I want to audition to play bari or euph at Magic of Orlando. I know fingerings and scales and other basics(which I have been learning without a horn), but the one time I had a baritone in my possession I didn't really learn much. My biggest problem is that I read in treble clef and I don't know how the octaves are supposed to sound on the baritone. Can anybody help me with this?

Its actually pretty simple. Whatever you read in treble cleff, just take the note up two spaces. If its in a space, take it up two spaces, if its on a line, take it up two lines. If its sharp in treble cleff, you'll have the natural note in bass cleff. I could explain the rules of its relations to sharps and flats, but that would take a while and Im a little pressed for time. But thats a good tool to use to get used to hearing and seeing the similarities.

Here is what I found out when I looked up the specs. online:

Kanstul:

G Euph - 8 lbs.

G Bari - 6 1/2 lbs.

Bb Euph - 8 lbs.

Bb Bari - 6 lbs.

Yamaha:

Couldn't find the weight...

Dynasty:

Bb Euph - 7 lbs. 14 oz.

Bb Bari - 5 lbs. 13 oz.

Does anyone make G baris and euphs other than Kanstul? I couldn't find anything else...