When did pit percussion first appear?

Okay, I have a pretty simple question. What was the first year that a corps used a front ensemble instead of marching mallets? And which corps was it?

Also, if you happen to know, did marching bands begin using front ensembles before drum corps did? Or vice-versa?

Thanks!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not sure I'm right, but....

Corps couldn't even ground the instruments permanently (the concert piece must've been an exception, though instruments were still on the field proper) until 1980, I think.

I believe some corps took immediate advantage, but, despite my having the DVDs, I've not really paid attention.

Since it was a rules change, I don't think you could label a first corps to do it....just a first year.

I decided to look at the DVDs....

The rules change definitely took effect in '80...

But, I only saw the timpani being grounded, except for the Bridgemen (couple more drums...think I saw some roto-toms).

Not all corps permanently grounded instruments (Santa Clara didn't, Madison didn't, Phantom didn't, Spirit didn't, 2-7 didn't), but more than one corps took advantage (Blue Devils, Bridgemen, Cavaliers, Cadets to name a few).

I don't have '81...but, by '82 you see a couple keyboard instruments grounded.

Noticeable increase in number of keyboards and other toys in '83.

Edited by sooneralum2001

You're welcome....

As for marching bands, I would assume that they copied drum corps.

My high school band had a pit the size of the '82 Blue Devils (actually, smaller since we didn't use timpani) in the fall of '91.

I know for us (Crossmen) in 1980 we used one grounded set of tympanis, one set of mallets, (sorry, not sure which kind, it may have been marimbas) and roto toms placed on the sideline. In the opener you only saw the timp. player and the one mallet.....the other four marching mallets were with the rest of the drumline until they reached near the sideline when the four came to the front and stood there for the remainder of the show. Another member "popped up" from behind the tympanist to play the roto toms. By the end of our opener, there were 7 people down front in a pit ensemble that stood there for the rest of the show.

Hope this helps with your question. B)

Edited by Malibu

I decided to look at the DVDs....

The rules change definitely took effect in '80...

This was my experience as well. I think in the circuit I marched in, the Ontario Drum Corps Association, there was some sort of phase in for the rule, as I can remember the timpani being grounded in 1979 as well. At that time though there wasn't any dedicated space for the pit. They had to be grounded up at the front sideline. I'm am not sure if this placement was a rule though. Perhaps you could ground them anywhere. No corps did that that I can remember though.

yea, we grounded tympanis in '80.