Bicentennial Rules!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if that was a conscientious programming decision or if the resulting "76" was by happenstance? I never thought of that particular era of PR as having that type of a sense of humor.

Mike

Sounds like a "fanfare" column to me!!!! :P

Someday, John, I hope we're relegated to the same nursing home so that we can hang around the dining facility, talk old school drum corps and annoy the heck out of the nursing staff!!! :blink:

but, did I get any right?

I don't plan to be in a nursing home for a very long time, and by then they'll probably park the wheels right next to the bed pan rack. of course that could be right next door to the dining room.

Regards,

John

Does anyone know if that was a conscientious programming decision or if the resulting "76" was by happenstance? I never thought of that particular era of PR as having that type of a sense of humor.

Mike

They did it on purpose. Program notes pointed out that order of tunes with reference to the bicentennial.

Regards,

John Swartz

but, did I get any right?

Of course, you got all of your answers correct!!!

I was especially impressed with catching the Seneca Optomist NO Bicentennial salute and the prism tape on the front of the keyboards!!!!

^OO^

Can I just say that if you ever wanted to win a quiz on history or trivia regarding DC, I'd want and need sarnia sam on my team or should I say "his team" :blink::blink:

2. Madison

--Who produced the "disco show" that was scrapped 1/2 way through the season?

Fred Sanford was program director in 1976 and came up with the "disco show." Jim Elvord also had a hand in it.

--Who plays the triple-tenor intro to "Mc Arthur Park"?

Greg Dalton. He was the tenor section leader. Unlike '75 when all four of us played the intro to "McArthur Park," in '76 one guy played it. In '76, we had split the tenors (2 on each side of the snares), making it difficult for us to play it cleanly with that much distance between us. Hence, one guy had the honor.

--Who is Phillip?

He was the Scouts's mascot in 1975-76. His name was a play on "Philly" and the split black and white face signified Scout unity and concord among the races.

OK, in answer--

SCV--  Hint, check corpsreps.com to see when the last time SCV DIDN'T play either YPG or Fiddler!!!! :)

Blue Stars--  Bicentennial Stars were not only on the tymps, but also on the.....?

Seneca--  Think of which country they were from--and this MIGHT be the only year that two corps made DCI Finals that were from the same metro area!!

Guardsmen--  Guess again.  12th place in horns.

Good job, Cliff.  I'm happy to see your memory is pretty well intact!!!

^OO^

OMG, I can't believe it - Guardsmen were 11th in M&M - what a hoot! We were always so terrible at that! I would have thought it was horns too.

Orange vistalite for the drums, that was ugly.

Guard was busbies, drums were tams, and horns wore the "horse guard" style helmets with the the trailing "plume" hairs, similar to Black Knights only all white instead of the silver ones that Black Knights used. And I agree with other posts, I hated the oatmeal boxes for hats and wish we had stuck with the other. The only advantage it gave us was looking taller and forcing us to march upright since you can't lean over too far when your top heavy like that ;)

edit for spelling errors, oops!

Edited by GmenBari78