Remember The Spectacle City Mariners?

Jim - welcome to DCP and even more important - there are people out here who value and treasure your participation in Drum Corps - AND in the Mariners!

You guys rocked way back - people like me always LOVED the Mariners and your shows and the DM of course!

Welcome to the best drum corps site on the web - you are officially now a National (Drum Corps) Asset, man!

From a fellow cheesehead, born and raised!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cc1c.jpg

This is the photo I think some were talking about. (Colorized and manipulated a bit as the original was from the cover of an old drum corps magazine)

Wow - how great to see this stuff! For you Mariners Vets - please know that your performances on hot July nights at Ames Field during the Michigan City Summer Festival show profoundly affected one child's life. Besides the amazing Cap'n (who I tried desperately to emulate in band and baton corps), I also remember the flags forming a ship and rowing their way across the field. I feel like I'm 10 again!

Wow - how great to see this stuff! For you Mariners Vets - please know that your performances on hot July nights at Ames Field during the Michigan City Summer Festival show profoundly affected one child's life. Besides the amazing Cap'n (who I tried desperately to emulate in band and baton corps), I also remember the flags forming a ship and rowing their way across the field. I feel like I'm 10 again!

Its interesting you have the Troopers avatar as my first time seeing them was at Michigan City in 71, they were like giants to me and they were so friggin good too.

Wow, Michigan City, Indiana!! Believe it or not, we used to call this Mariner town. We loved performing there and the crowds were incredible. The first autograph I signed was in Michigan City.

Two other favorite haunts of ours was Woodstock, IL and Deerfield, IL. Dan will probably remember this one....the folks in Deerfield loved us so much they requested we come down during the week after the show to perform at the local country club. I think it was 1972 but could have been 1973. Kind of heady stuff for a 14 year old kid.

The ship rowing was a Mac McGrath special but John Brazale perfected it. It was a glorious site during winter color guard competitions too.

The personal topper for me was 1973, Frankenmuth, Michigan. Dan will probably remember this as well. Long-winded story so bear with me....

Times past, there was always a parade during the day prior to the evening's festivities. We show up for the parade early and are in the middle of the pack so to speak. We do warm-ups and break into a mini concert for the parade goers. One song I loved that we did was "One Fine Morning" (by Lighthouse). We break into this and it was one of those things --- everything clicked. Soprano solos were dead on and everyone was having a gas rockin' to this great song. I am hot dogging it pretty good too. After we're done, the primary organizer (his name escapes me) comes up to me and starts talking to me about the show, how much he loved our corps, etc. He's telling me he wants me to really ham it up during the competition and that there would be some Marine Corps Colonel accepting my salute saying we're ready to take the field for competition. For those that recall, I had a sword that we used to toss around during the show. But prior to taking the field and saluting the officer, I would come all the way up to where he's standing; customary was that I'd 'ground' the sword near the person's feet. Well, this guy tells me to shoot it right at the guy's feet. I missed by an inch!! All I can still recall is his eyes getting as big as saucers.....

I digressed a tad. Anyway after this mini concert we had time before the parade's kickoff so some of the guys were walking around and checking things out. Three of our sopranos, Bob Wiedel, Larry Odom, and Chuck Anschus (?sp) come up to me and start giving me sh&t. Also remember it was customary for Cap'n Crunch to kiss the queen of the show when we received our award during Grande Finale. Why were they giving me grief? The queen for the show was Miss America (how in the world I don't remember her name is beyond me!). They were daring me that I wouldn't have the cahones to kiss Miss America. Of course the show organizer did not tell me this....anyway, I didn't believe them. I mean, Frankenmuth was a darling town (very Bavarian for those that have never been there) but why in the world would they get Miss America to be the queen???

So, we do our show.....and we nailed it. It was one of those moments when you come off the field and just know that besides being exhausted, you kicked booty. Well, we line up for Grande Finale and had a buzz that we had a great shot at winning. Recall that all the Drum Majors came front and center for the award ceremonies. So, I get up there and ground my sword and am taking it all in. There were I believe 6 to 10 corps competing that night and the organizer, who was also the announcer, is reading the bottom ones off. I was feeling pretty good we'd be in the top three....so he gets to #3 and it wasn't us. I am really pumped. Mind you, I still had no idea that Miss America was queen. So he gets to #2....turns out it was us and a group I believe were called the Marionettes. He's announcing...."and in 2nd place, with a score of XX.X....the Mar.....ionettes (I think you get the drift as to why he placed a pause in there). O.K., so I turn around and see everyone with big 'ol smiles on their faces. We won!!! So now, he announces us but before doing so he announces to the crowd...."and presenting the winner of tonight's competition, Miss America XXX". My heart I think hit my toes! Holy flippin' sh&t....Miss America. I mean, yeah, I had kissed a queen or two but Miss America. I couldn't!!! Well, h&ll yes I could. No way I was gonna let the guys win the bet that I'd chicken out. So I go up there.....no one in the stands or her knew this was a part of my schtick (though the organizer did). So I take the trophy and planted one on her, dipping her --- what in the world came over me!!!! The crowd is gasping and oohing. I bring her back up and start heading back to the Drum Major formation before they dismissed us all. She leans over and tells the organizer, which of course he gets on the PA and relays her message.....NO ONE EVER stole a kiss from her before. Think I cared???!!!

I head back after being dismissed and from that point, all the way back home, I took grief from every guy on that bus!!!

33 years ago and it seems like yesterday (though I think if I bent her over today I wouldn't get up!!!).

Thanks for bearing (and letting me share) this story!

Jim Cap'n Crunch Piscitello

Jim, what a great story! Thanks for sharing that with us!

:wall:

Sally