Remember The Spectacle City Mariners?

J.C., that makes sense about Diane.

BTW, Jim Gio was always a big fella!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We met and became good buddies of Phantom Regiment at the VFW Nationals in Minneapolis in I believe 1973.

Hi again Jimmy,

I'm having a great time reading your posts. They bring back tons of memories for me..

VFW was in Minneapolis in 1972. Here are the results from finals:

1 Cavaliers 86.950

2 Racine Kilties 86.650

3 Argonne Rebels 86.350

4 St. Andrew's Bridgemen 84.150

5 Racine Scouts 78.650

6 Kewanee Knights 78.600

7 Pembroke Imperials 77.550

8 St. Paul Scouts 75.950

9 Colt .45 73.350

10 Stockton Commodores 70.750

11 St. Francis Xavier Sancians 67.750

12 Milwaukee Mariners 64.650

Thanks J.C. It was 1972, not 1973. Thanks for sharing the info. Obviously we didn't do too well. :(

Wow, so many memories are coming back to me about that contest other than how we finished, Phantom, and the Commodores.

We had a contest in Whitewater prior to leaving for Minneapolis. I left half of my personal clothes there. We changed out of our unis on the bus on the way up to Minneapolis and imagine for a minute how I was freaking out when I realized I lost most of my clothes. I had enough to get me through except for one thing --- no flippin' shoes! All I had was my Cap'n Crunch boots. Imagine seeing some scrawny 14 year old kid in shorts with riding boots on!!! LOL.

Then I hurt my knee in practice during the day so I had to march with a bum knee. Making matters worse, I left my white uniform belt back at the school we were staying at so John Brazale took off his white belt (yeah, it was the 70's and white belts were stylish!!!) for me to use.

That certainly is Joe and yes, you look like a nice Italian boy!!!

I think in the late 60's St. Greg's changed to some really gawdy looking unis. Sparkling gold as I recall.

So Paul, do you remember what Joe Bruno did immediately after he left the Mariners?

So Paul, do you remember what Joe Bruno did immediately after he left the Mariners?

Sorry, but I don't. I moved to Chicago after the '64 season and lost touch with him and his sister Cookie. I later realized he was the guy announcing a lot of the midwest drum corps shows in the 70s and 80s, but it was after the fact.

So you remember Cookie too! Man, what a small world.

He went to U.W.-Milwaukee and received his degree in broadcasting. He join WZUU radio station as a weekend DJ:

"Joe Bruno with you on WZUU!!!"

The best parade marching stories always revolved around marching through some horsey dung!

When I first joined Mariners I was a drummer. That was September 1969. They just got back from Murphysboro, IL and won the show and I was so excited to join them.

A couple of months later, Bruno and Mac decide to give him some little sidekicks instead of another Cap'n Crunch. So, being that I was an assistant DM with the Militaires, I was supposedly an obvious choice. The second mini-DM was a kid named Melvin Collins. Melvin was even too wild for Mariner standards and after a couple of practices, he quit. Mark Eidson was a 3rd soprano and his teeth were giving him fits so, they decided to make him the second mini-DM.

I will never forget my first practice as a DM with Joe. We were in the gym at Greendale High School and he brought the sword to practice. I was on one side of the gym and he was on the other side. He yells at me and I look up and the flippin' sword is heading toward me. All I remember doing was putting my hand up and somehow I caught the friggin' thing. He's laughing his a^s off and I am now dropping my a&s. Must have been a funny sight because everyone was laughing!