Remember The Spectacle City Mariners?

That's it for now. I really wish I would have kept all the dozens and dozens of photos I mailed to the originator of this thread. I had 'em from the late 50s and early 60s. Tons of jr. and sr. corps photos from AL Nationals in Chicago (including pictures of Holy Name Cadets performing in shorts and tee shirts, with the Cavaliers horns and drums, since the church pulled the sponsorship right before Finals. They still won!).

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first joined Mariners I was a drummer. That was September 1969. They just got back from Murphysboro, IL and won the show and I was so excited to join them.

A couple of months later, Bruno and Mac decide to give him some little sidekicks instead of another Cap'n Crunch. So, being that I was an assistant DM with the Militaires, I was supposedly an obvious choice. The second mini-DM was a kid named Melvin Collins. Melvin was even too wild for Mariner standards and after a couple of practices, he quit. Mark Eidson was a 3rd soprano and his teeth were giving him fits so, they decided to make him the second mini-DM.

I will never forget my first practice as a DM with Joe. We were in the gym at Greendale High School and he brought the sword to practice. I was on one side of the gym and he was on the other side. He yells at me and I look up and the flippin' sword is heading toward me. All I remember doing was putting my hand up and somehow I caught the friggin' thing. He's laughing his a^s off and I am now dropping my a&s. Must have been a funny sight because everyone was laughing!

Funny, I was a mini-DM with Joe Bruno for a few practices too (in St. Greg's). I was so small for my age that they didn't have a drum for me. So, they tried me at mini-DM. Eventually they found a light-weight snare drum (thank the lord!!).

DARN IT!!!

I just realized I wasn't in the "old corps photos" thread. I am NOT gonna' repost all of these. Anyone have any suggestions?

Grrrrr . . .

Big thanks to our mod (Blue Devil Legend) for moving all my "old corps photos" pics from this thread to the correct thread. Sorry about all that gang . . .

So you remember Cookie too! Man, what a small world.

He went to U.W.-Milwaukee and received his degree in broadcasting. He join WZUU radio station as a weekend DJ:

"Joe Bruno with you on WZUU!!!"

Last time I saw Joe Bruno was at the big Kiltie Klassic Alumni Corps spectacular in Whitewater in 1997. Not only did Joe announce the show, he appeared on the field as Cap'n Crunch in the grand finale during the mass playing of Auld Lang Syne. It was a true drum corps moment!

Edited by J.C.

We had a contest in Whitewater prior to leaving for Minneapolis. I left half of my personal clothes there. We changed out of our unis on the bus on the way up to Minneapolis and imagine for a minute how I was freaking out when I realized I lost most of my clothes. I had enough to get me through except for one thing --- no flippin' shoes! All I had was my Cap'n Crunch boots. Imagine seeing some scrawny 14 year old kid in shorts with riding boots on!!! LOL.

Umm yeah Jim that contest in Whitewater would have been the very first DCI prelims! In which we took 29th I think and by far the best bit of trivia from 72, Mariners side 1 won M&M execution with a score that wasnt even beat in the DCI finals.