I got some great nostlagia today

Personally I doubt that BD was Boo'ed at East... not saying you're lying or any such thing though.

I marched at East many times in Jr. Corps and Sr. Corp too and always found the East crowd to be insanely supportive of drum corps in general.

Further evidence that I don't think BD was treated that way is this example of how things can get misunderstood rather quickly...

In 1982 when we (Crossmen) were leaving the field at Olympic stadium after finals retreat many of us were flipping the bird at the press box in an, yes childish but somehow it felt just, effort of showing our general displeasure with DCI and their judges in getting 'bumped' back a place from prelims to finals by 27th.

As we were flipping the universal sign of birding at the press box one guy in BD's contra line turned to look at us as we were marching directly behind where they were  on the field.  He quickly motioned to a couple other contras and next thing we knew we had 4 BD contras running toward us with equal parts anger/confusion pasted on their faces.

They thought we were flipping them off.  We explained we were flipping off the press box, we all laughed, hands were shaken, smiles exchanged and all was well.  As they walked back to get into their retreat formation they even flew birds at the press box too and then looked back at us smiling... solidarity!

I'd bet Yocca's hot dogs to J's cheesesteaks that folks were chanting, "BLUE!!", in A-town.

I refuse to comment on the booing situation because that was Rich's personal experience and I have no reason whatsoever to doubt him. If he did in fact experience that type of behavior it is unnacceptable and we as individuals should be the sole judge of what does or does not offend us. My own experiences, however few, were extremely enjoyable at Birney Crum Stadium in Allentown. Not only is the city itself beautiful, but they seem to be supportive of the sport. I hope to attend another drum corps event there in the future if my schedules permits it. But what a beautiful venue and memories to last a lifetime.

Edited by felixh

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, I wasn't there... I was just trying to shine some positive light on your scene.  If I offended, I apologize.

-Zen

naw, I am not offended, no biggie.

Well, the beauty of the situation is you weren't there, and I was, and I know what I heard.

Through the whole "from Concord, Ca.........the............" thing, all you could hear was "East, East, East" AND the "BOO".

I was there - as an "east" coaster. Rick is absolutely right on the "east east east" chant. I personally heard it - but - I did not hear the same volume of "boo" chanting. However, I am sure there were some ignorant fans within Rich's ears. I was up high near the GE box as a 27th instructor watching. It was an awkward feeling to say the least.

I was there - as an "east" coaster. Rick is absolutely right on the "east east east" chant. I personally heard it - but - I did not hear the same volume of "boo" chanting. However, I am sure there were some ignorant fans within Rich's ears. I was up high near the GE box as a 27th instructor watching. It was an awkward feeling to say the least.

Okay, this is my humble opinion, but boo @#$%^&* hoo! I loved the East Coast crowds. They were passionate about their drum corps and their drum corps. If you could win them, you had them eating out of your hands. If not, watch your back on the way to the busses. Those were good times. Passion. Now on the West Coast, by contrast, things were very polite, unless you marched with SCV and BD.....I almost got into a fight in a bar with some guy who marched in BD in 75....and this was in 1991! Passion. I don't remember what it was about, I don't think he does either, but we were ready to go to blows over what ever it was. Passion.

Polite vs. passion? Give me passion.

I'm off the soap box now.

Okay, this is my humble opinion, but boo @#$%^&* hoo! I loved the East Coast crowds. They were passionate about their drum corps and their drum corps. If you could win them, you had them eating out of your hands. If not, watch your back on the way to the busses. Those were good times. Passion. Now on the West Coast, by contrast, things were very polite, unless you marched with SCV and BD.....I almost got into a fight in a bar with some guy who marched in BD in 75....and this was in 1991! Passion. I don't remember what it was about, I don't think he does either, but we were ready to go to blows over what ever it was. Passion.

Polite vs. passion? Give me passion.

I'm off the soap box now.

I would give my left #$@@* for that type of passion in Orange County (CA)...the drum corps scene here is dead and needs to be revived...imagine getting boos and chants of WEST, WEST, WEST...at Santa Ana Stadium...and boos and fights in the parking lot,....now thats the type of drum corps I would like to see (IMO)....if only Art West were still around!!!

Edited by felixh