Cruel and Unusual Punishment?

Also might contribute to BD's incredible run at the top....since 1975 they's been no lower than 5th...and that 5th was a one time deal in 91.

The low stress within the staff/member relationship probably mirrored to a certain degree that within the staff.  members can tell when there are tensions...and it affects their own work ethic.

As I mentioned earlier, problems between individual corps members were always dealt with by veterans and senior members. The staff rarely got involved. They're main focus was the season at hand. There is no doubt that the Blue Devil style of discipline (self-discipline) contributed, and continues to contribute to the longest Championship run in drum corps history. IMO DCI will never see a Championship Finals without the Blue Devils in the top 5. The winning attitude is embedded in the Blue Devil culture.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing the posts from the various BD alumni can’t but make me believe the reason they never experienced any uncivil behavior from their staff was because of Jerry Seawright! I don’t think Jerry would ever tolerate that type of discipline.

Agreed!

Jerry exuded confidence and was a complete joy to interact with. You never saw him question the staff. He would watch a run through, tell us what his thoughts were regarding the corps, and always ended his conversations with "...and people...turn in your birth certificates and tour fees....".

On tour, it was always a blast to grab a coke, or whatever beverage was near by, and b.s. with Jerry.

And long after Jerry retired from the Blue Devils, and all of us under his direction aged-out....we could always find him at a show. He always gave us undivided attention when he saw one of "his kids". You could tell where Jerry was at a show....look for a large cluster of people surrounding an older gentlemen with an Admirals style baseball cap with a Blue Devils patch and on it.

Jerry was truly a great person!

Yes he was....as was Gayle Royer.

So, yes. The attitude and style of the staff most definitely mirrored what we all saw in Jerry.

I think to a person, we all feel lucky to have been offered the experience of being in his drum corps. It was a fun ride...........