The Best Baritones

King_ReMO

My band is getting new baritones for next season. I'd be cool to hear some reviews or some experiences with different brands of baritones, and which you'd recommend. Thanks.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kanstul! Loud and proud b**bs :whistle:

No on Die-nasty! :sshh:

Yamahas are pretty good....light weight is a benefit for high schools :)

See, I've heard different things about Dynasty horns.

A Bluecoat friend of mine says Dynastys are not the best, but not the worst. The deciding factor with my band will probably be price and the Dynastys are selling for $950. Good price, eh?

My BD also looked into buying some of the Cavaliers' Yamahas, but since those are twice as expensive and we need to buy some sousaphones, too, he's not going to get them.

So, why are Dynastys so bad, and the other so much better?

Having played the Knastul, Dynasty, Yamaha, and King (all in Bb), I would reccommend, without a doubt, the King 1124 (or 1124S) for marching band.

It's light, it's balanced, and it plays very, very well. I played one for several years in college, and after many years as a brass instructor find that the best bari sound in any marching band comes from a line using the King.

The Kanstul is an excellent horn, but is FAR overpriced. The Dynasty is also quite good, and I would reccomend it, but not over the King. I wouldn't use a Yamaha bari for anything but maybe a plant potter or paperwight. They are stuffy as heck, and aren't balanced that well.

The only King I've played is a two-valve G baritone. If their B-flats are anything approaching this, they should be good.

I have not played the Kanstul.

I've played a Yamaha, but it's been a long time. No thoughts.

As for the Dynasty, I didn't like the Dynasty baritone as much as the Dynasty euphonium, but take into consideration that I played Dynasty euphs for 5 years and only screwed around on the baris. The baritone should be fine.

Im my junior days I played Olds Ultratones and liked them. Now I am very comfortable with their logical successor the Kanstul Grande, which is very similar but much more controllable.

Zyg Kanstul as I understand worked for Olds so the similarities are not surprising.

He also worked for King.My favorite,btw.Thats a king 2v in my avatar.As for Bbs,for marching,I liked the kings PR used.Legit horns,a Besson is good.A wilson is fab.Yamaha is ok(just say no to Dennis Wick :P ).Never played a Dynasty.If they're anything like their G horns,fooey.

Edited by JeromeyBush

The King baris (1124) are excellant horns. Well-built, play great! They are also considerably lighter than any of the other horns - this could be an important factor in a HS Band. Kanstuls are wonderful horns, and if you are considering $950 for a Dynasty, you should just put that money toward Kanstuls! In the past couple of months, I bought a Kanstul baritone, AND a Kanstul baritone Grande. Together, I paid $950! Both horns are used. The Grande is in great shape. The standard baritone is practically new!!! My point being this: you would do better to buy a clean used Kanstul or King than to waste your money on a new Dynasty.

the King euphs of today are the finest i've played on.....my dynasty euph has A LOT of back pressure......dunno about their baris......the yamahas are stuffy but have found that a dennis wick works well to clean some of it up...