1965/1966 Rochester Crusaders

The ancient ones are fading away, but by chance is there anyone out there who can answer a few questions about the Rochester Crusaders in 65/66.

My best memory of them was their 65 Dream performance in the midst of a wicked lightning storm - they hit their classic finale of Tonight as the lightning flashed all over and the crowd went wild.

Their drumline in 65-67 was superb - esp their snare line. Who was the instructor during those years ?

When they edged Cabs at 65 Legion and Sky at the 66 Legion - I assume they did that with a nice cushion in drumming at boths shows. If not - what captions put them over these corps at those shows ? I've searched online for recap sheets - but alas no luck.

Bill Reid

St Pat's Cadets 62-66

Edited by coloradocorp

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

percussion was VERY strong... headed by Colin Campbell... standing next to him in the snare line was Tom "Fuzzy" Falzone who many claim to this day to have had the fastest hands in the business...

Rudimental basses were Way ahead of their times... considering most corps bass drummers were still only carrying one mallet...

Both were prominent at Vince Bruni's funeral 17 months ago along with their "student" Stevie Gadd who marched with them prior to 1965.

Frankly, I don't remember the breakdowns - I'll have to look it up...

• 1 month later...

"Cru at the 1965 Dream":

The Rochester Crusaders performance at the 1965 Dream Contest was one fopr the books. The "Funnel" that hit the field near the end of their show looked like it came straight from Kansas, via dropping a house on my sister in Munchkinland.

How those guys held on through all of that "Flash & Thunder" I'll never know. A very belated "Congrats" to all the 'Survivors'.

Great job.

Elphaba

on behalf of all remaining 1965 Crusaders... you're welcome...

unfortunately, the honor roll of those who were on the field that day who are no longer with us continues to grow...

and of course Vince Bruni is at the top of the list... but there are others worth mentioning... Guard Captain Bob Aston, Ray Mura who had several solos including the last one in "Still of the Night"... Wally Filkins... bass drummer extraordinaire... George Grau who marched next to me in my French Horn Section... and a number of others

Hey all,

Not about the 1965 corps but about another rainstorm @ DCA finals Aquinas/Hollinder stadium in 1975 (?)....If my memory serves me correctly Crusaders went on twice....Once during a downpour (the corps deceided the rain was to heavy to continue) and again after the rain let up a bit.....I think Sky won the show by .05...Great memories.....

John G

• 2 weeks later...
The ancient ones are fading away, but by chance is there anyone out there who can answer a few questions about the Rochester Crusaders in 65/66.

My best memory of them was their 65 Dream performance in the midst of a wicked lightning storm - they hit their classic finale of Tonight as the lightning flashed all over and the crowd went wild.

Their drumline in 65-67 was superb - esp their snare line.  Who was the instructor during those years ?

When they edged Cabs at 65 Legion and Sky at the 66 Legion - I assume they did that with a nice cushion in drumming at boths shows.  If not - what captions put them over these corps at those shows ?  I've searched online for recap sheets - but alas no luck.

Bill Reid

St Pat's Cadets 62-66

When the Crusaders "edged out" the New York Skyliners at the AL Nats in Washington, D.C. they had a LOT of help from "Doc" Shranker one of the drum execution judges on the field that night. Shranker had an 8 point spread (that's 8 full points, NOT 8/10ths of a point, but 8 points, 80 ticks) BELOW the other execution drum judge. In order for there to be an 8 point spread between these 2 execution judges it would mean that Shranker saw the New York Skyliner drumline as a bunch of neophites. Now, if there had been an 8 point spread between Shranker and the other execution drum judge for every corps that performed that night it would be legitimate but no such spread was there with any of the other corps, only the Skyliners. So in the record books Crusaders "edged out" the New York Skyliners. But I'm sure that somewhere those execution score sheets are in someone's possession. I'll never forget us marching off the field and the drumline throwing there sticks in the air and ripping the AL patch off of our uniforms. It was the final nail in the coffin. The AL was no longer the beacon of Drum Corps. After that show the mantle was past on to DCA.

When the Crusaders "edged out" the New York Skyliners at the AL Nats in Washington, D.C. they had a LOT of help from "Doc" Shranker one of the drum execution judges on the field that night. Shranker had an 8 point spread (that's 8 full points, NOT 8/10ths of a point, but 8 points, 80 ticks) BELOW the other execution drum judge. In order for there to be an 8 point spread between these 2 execution judges it would mean that Shranker saw the New York Skyliner drumline as a bunch of neophites. Now, if there had been an 8 point spread between Shranker and the other execution drum judge for every corps that performed that night it would be legitimate but no such spread was there with any of the other corps, only the Skyliners. So in the record books Crusaders "edged out" the New York Skyliners. But I'm sure that somewhere those execution score sheets are in someone's possession. I'll never forget us marching off the field and the drumline throwing there sticks in the air and ripping the AL patch off of our uniforms. It was the final nail in the coffin. The AL was no longer the beacon of Drum Corps. After that show the mantle was past on to DCA.

Thank you for the feedback. Appreciated.

I marched in the 60's and honestly never heard the name of Shranker as a drum judge and we had the pleasure of being judged by just about everyone who was anyone during those years. An 80 tick differential is unbelievable - no wonder the uproar. I don't think any corp on the field that night had 80 percussion errors alone. Certainly this guy must have been a real kook. I recently got the Fleetwood recording from the show and have listened a number of times. Recordings don't tell the whole story, but from my ear - Cabs were hot that night on the brass side, but percussion was easily 4th best - being generous as they were really sloppy on attacks and releases. Soloists were unreal. Sky had some isues as well on percusssion, but certainly not that bad. Hurks were nice and clean. As for the Crusaders - they were sizzling in their percussion set. Snare execution was phenomenal. I recall the late Bobby Thompson telling us at our St pat's drum practice a few days later that he thought the Crusaders line was 'flawless' that night. Obviously Sky got their revenge at DCA. Sorry you guys had to go through that down experience.

Edited by coloradocorp

There are a few of those guys still playing with St. Joe's Alumni...one in particular, Mike DeMura...man he has chops of steel!!! There are a couple more guys that are always reminiscing with him but I am not sure if they marched there or not.

I am sure that Mike will remember that show...

Donny

Thank you for the feedback. Appreciated.

I marched in the 60's and honestly never heard the name of Shranker as a drum judge and we had the pleasure of being judged by just about everyone who was anyone during those years.  An 80 tick differential is unbelievable - no wonder the uproar. I don't think any corp on the field that night had 80 percussion errors alone.  Certainly this guy must have been a real kook.  I recently got the Fleetwood recording from the show and have listened a number of times.  Recordings don't tell the whole story, but from my ear - Cabs were hot that night on the brass side, but percussion was easily 4th best - being generous as they were really sloppy on attacks and releases. Soloists were unreal.  Sky had some isues as well on percusssion, but certainly not that bad.  Hurks were nice and clean.  As for the Crusaders - they were sizzling in their percussion set. Snare execution was phenomenal.  I recall the late Bobby Thompson telling us at our St pat's drum practice a few days later that he thought the Crusaders line was 'flawless' that night.  Obviously Sky got their revenge at DCA. Sorry you guys had to go through that down experience.

As I recall Shranker gave us an 11. something while the other judge (can't remember his name to save my life) gave us a 19. something. Don't recall if the sheet counted as 20 or 25 points toward total score. And remember, back in the day the judges changed sides during concert, so Shranker "heard" the same type of "junk" from both sides?

On another note, being from St. Pat's I'm sure you remember John Iglasias. He taught me drums back in 1963 when I was with Madonna up in Fort Lee, N.J.

On still another note, if you're still in Jersey City and have halfway decent "chops" why not stop over to St. Andrew's parish in Bayonne on February 13 at 12:00 Noon. I'm sure it would be fun.