TAN horns

Crownmember

I played prototypes of these back in the 80's and didn't care for them. Recently I played a TAN soprano in G (I won't mention the manufacturer) and still did not care for it. I think that a combination of good ears and good chops can correct for pitch much faster than your thumb on a spring-loaded slide.

I'm only offering my opinion here.

I think that the TAN feature is a definite plus, though not always needed. One can easily fix some pitches by ear without having to use one of the TAN features, though i have found that there are quite a few notes that are pretymuch impossible to tune without the TAN features.

The Kanstul Euphs that we have did not have such a feature for all notes, so we learned the pitch tendencies off all notes within the range of the show.

Using a TAN takes practice, and it takes instructors to train younger students (sometimes older ones, haha) on how to use it. Nothing beats playing with a tuner, both high and low, figuring out when you should use the thing. It seems hornlines tune one note, forgetting about some of the other valve combinations. The only thing though is that on my Kanstul, it sits all the way in, so it's not alot of help if I'm flat, but as long as I tune before I play and adjust the main tuning slide, it is not an issue. Ok, I am done on this subject.

• 1 month later...

I always liked having a trigger on my soprano. the fourth space E and the 3 notes coming from that harmonic were a good 30 cents flat. A bit too much to lip and keep a good sound. I never had trouble with any other notes on it, and since I had the trigger, I never really had trouble with those either. It became part of the fingerings for those notes.

I can see the TAN feature being very useful on bugles of various sizes. The Bb sopranos/trumpets I've played have no need for it though. I've heard the Bb bari is the same way.

• 4 weeks later...

the TAN feature on our Kanstul Contras at Spirit was a life saver. We had a lot of Db's and C's that registered about 30 cents sharp. With the TAN feature we would kick out our slides and get those notes in tune. Basically anything involving the third valve on those horns required the TAN feature.