Calling all tuba/contra players

corpsnewbie

Hey there everyone, I'm 16 years old and looking to vastly improve my tuba playing this upcoming year... call it a resolution if you may :whistle: ? In the competitive world of Texas HS band programs, I need all the help I can get, ideally from more experienced and knowledgable players (that i know lurk in these forums). Here's what I need:

A description of a good practice routine. I used to have a VERY good routine in my early years (the first 2 or 3) as a player, mainly because I felt pressure from my directors. After all, all my life I've been very devoted to school, and when I signed up for bandin 7th grade, I treated it as another class, and if my hw was to practice everyday, then do it i shall, and if I had a chair test coming up, then "study", or practice, for it I did. But ultimately, as I've entered HS the directors don't check up on you as much and I'm really not as devoted as I used to be. So I'm looking for maybe a new more efficient approach at practicing, so I can be good fast. My ultimate goal is to not only make the All State (best hs musicians in the state) band in december, but to make my corps of choice come November B) . How much emphasis should I put on exercises/fundamentals, and how much should I put on perfecting pieces/solos for those two auditions?

I know its a lot but, in addition, if I could get pointers on what type/model tuba to use. I currently use the school's B flat mirafone and its not in the best shape. Im maybe looking into buying a new concert horn for myself and am overwhelmed by the sheer amount of types and keys: B flat, F, CC, etc. Is online a good source for me to look at, or is it not reliable enough?(Ebay is what im talkin' bout)

Finally, what type of mouthpiece do you use, and what characteristics of it do you like (produces fuller sound in lower register, more comfortable etc.) I use a standard Conn Helleberg.

Any and help would be GREATLY appreciated.

You sound like you are very inspired to do well. But there isn't any way to become good fast. First off, the mouthpiece you use now is fine...I played on a Conn Helleberg for 5 years, sitting atop the All-state ensembles, making my dream corps, and playing my way into college. If I could only play on one mouthpiece for the rest of my life, it would be the conn; so don't feel any pressure to shop for a new one.

As for purchasing a horn for yourself, get either a BBb or a CC. Stay clear of F's and Eb's. For your purposes, and practicality, a BBb or CC horn would be perfect. You can visit Baltimore Brass to get a general idea for horn prices and the variety. Also, the founder and owner of that shop is awesome with customers, so he'd answer any questions. DO NOT USE EBAY! Tubas in particular should be play tested before being purchased, and eBay does not allow for that option.

Above all else, I would HIGHLY reccommend a private lesson teacher for your development. Before you buy a horn, a mouthpiece, books, etc...get a lesson teacher.

As for the practice routine, just make sure you always have a slow, non stressful warm up consisting of long tones, slurs, flexibility, scales, and the most important factor: breathing. Always stretch and breathe when you practice. A good formula to follow would be play for 8 minutes, then stretch/breathe for 2 minutes. Questions on breathing, go to Patrick Sheridan's Website. He and Sam Pilafian are the guys to reference to when it comes to breathing. These two guys would also be great listening models; excellent place to get a start on your tuba CD collection.

If you are trying to get better by the time All-State and corps auditions come around next fall, then I wouldn't worry about perfecting your pieces now. With consistent and focused practicing over the next 8 months or so, you'll have absolutely no problem knocking anyone dead. I hope this helps...PM me if you have any questions about anything I've said.

if you dont have a corp just yet you should come march Tealsound this summer. we need more contra players. and tealsound is also having camps in texas lol just something to think about

www.tealsound.org

but yeah lol

good luck with your tuba playing lol

There are many different kinds of horns, the answer to what you should buy is this: purchase whatever makes you sound the best. If you are anywhere near Indiana, OK i just looked and you said Texas, well it's only about a full days drive...I highly suggest Woodwind/Brasswind outlet store in South Bend, IN. they have a tuba room....the wall is lined with different kinds of horns and you can test them all. As far as BBb or CC...again, go with what you sound best on. some college professors require students to use CC, but in all honesty that's silly. if you sound better on a BBb, then the teacher shouldn't really care what kind of horn you're using. If you want an affordable horn that is really great, i personally will recommend to you the Allora AA191. It's made specifically for WW/BW and is a direct copy of the Miraphone counterpart (and when their tuba guy played them next to each other, he sounded better on the Allora) and only half the price which includes case and mouthpiece.

As far as warm-up/practice routines....as stated above, finding yourself a good teacher is a great route, but if you can't/can't afford it/don't have the time/flat out don't want too (like me)...I must recommend the Blue Devils Dynasty of Brass...yes it's a bit pricey...yes you have to download the actual music, and it's quite a few pages, but come on...who better to aspire to than the DCI div I. brass champion? I used it for about 2 weeks, and i couldn't believe how much my sound and range improved, plus the warm-ups in it are very similar to the ones used by other top drum corps (and most warm-ups are probably similar in all corps with slight variations)

as for making that corps of choice in November...i gotta bump you up to the notion of joining a II/III now. Most corps (even some div I's) still have openings and everyone hits Texas for kids because it's a gold mine. If you've always dreamed of being there on the field on Div I finals night, but not sure if you could hack it quite yet, i gotta tell you what i was once told and have been telling folks for a few years now: Go join that div II or III...they'd love to have you...get your feet wet and get used to corps life, that way you will be much more prepared for that div I you have had your heart set on for next year. And with that...shameful plug ---> Windy City Drum & Bugle Corps also still has openings in all sections.

good luck and good tubing

Edited by tubawarrior

To add to what the two other posters placed (which was great btw) the way I stay on my game is I do three sessions

1) Early morning stretch, breathing and vocalizing for like 10-30 minutes

2) Technical Studies (buzzing, clarkes/scales, articulation/long tones) 25 mins. - 1 hour

3) Repartoire for as long as I like:)

Books i'd recommend:

Song and Wind -Brain Fredericksen

The Art of Brass Playing -Philip Farkas

The Breathing Gym -Patrick Sheridan and Sam Pilafian

Hope some of this helps you

2)  Technical Studies (buzzing, clarkes/scales, articulation/long tones) 25 mins. - 1 hour

yeah...you're definately gonna wanna look at the Clarke Studies....every corps i've been associated with uses it...i'd recommend Eb, F, G (just to get started), play it straight eighths, then vary it...slur 2, tongue 2; tongue 2, slur 2, tongue 1, slur 2...etc...good times

DO NOT USE EBAY! Tubas in particular should be play tested before being purchased, and eBay does not allow for that option.

That's not always true. Alot of music stores don't have the personell to properly play test all instruments. I own a music store and we have an Ebay store. We also use Ebay listings to attract new customers. If you do your homework first, you should be able to buy a high quality instrument for a great price on Ebay. Check the feedback for the dealers reputation and check the return policy.

I'm an authorized Besson dealer. If you're interested in a quote, shoot me an email:

hinote@hotmail.com.

If this is inappropiate advertising, I apologize. I really just wanted to set the Ebay thing straight.

That's not always true. Alot of music stores don't have the personell to properly play test all instruments. I own a music store and we have an Ebay store. We also use Ebay listings to attract new customers.  If you do your homework first, you should be able to buy a high quality instrument for a great price on Ebay. Check the feedback for the dealers reputation and check the return policy.

I'm an authorized Besson dealer. If you're interested in a quote, shoot me an email:

hinote@hotmail.com.

If this is inappropiate advertising, I apologize. I really just wanted to set the Ebay thing straight.

I'm not trying to trash talk any music company, but I would think that common sense tells us that before dropping anywhere from $3000 to $10,000 on an instrument, one should be able to play test the instrument first. Or at least have a 1 to 2 week trial period. And a good majority of the music stores out there allow that...but with eBay, since it is an auction, you win the bid, you buy it...regardless of how you like the instrument.

I wouldn't buy a car, or shoes even with out testing either first.

I agree with what you are saying. My point is that if you check the ebay stores policies you'll know if that is allowed. I give a 10 day, hassle free return policy on all purchases. Purchases through the web are sold without the overhead of the brick and morter store. Therefore, a person can make that purchase for thousands less. If someone does some research, they can make a safe, wise purchase. In the case of a pro model tuba, we're talking about $4000 off of retail vs. $2500 off of retail in the store! It only makes since to be able to play it. Those options are availableat many online shops. Just do the research first.