Question For Schilke Trumpet Players

BeachDrums

Hello Schilke Fans,

I have heard nothing but good things about Schilke Trumpets. That's probably the reason there doesn't seem to be a lot of used ones with "For Sale" signs. Yes, I know, the company's production rate has something to do with it, too. My question is this: If Schilke Trumpets didn't exist, what would you play? In other words, what trumpet do you think is closest to its tone, quality, etc.?

I hope to own one someday, but even ebay doesn't seem to have very many of them. The one(s) they do have get bid on heavy and out of my "league." So, I'm asking you for what you consider to be the next best thing.

Thank you.

Hello Schilke Fans,

I have heard nothing but good things about Schilke Trumpets.  That's probably the reason there doesn't seem to be a lot of used ones with "For Sale" signs.  Yes, I know, the company's production rate has something to do with it, too.  My question is this:  If Schilke Trumpets didn't exist, what would you play?  In other words, what trumpet do you think is closest to its tone, quality, etc.? 

I hope to own one someday, but even ebay doesn't seem to have very many of them.  The one(s) they do have get bid on heavy and out of my "league."  So, I'm asking you for what you consider to be the next best thing.

Thank you.

Don't have a clue as to what's NEXT BEST but having said that I have a King Silver Flair and they also are rarely listed anywhere. Not sure what that means but I'm bored to death so I thought I'd respond. b**bs :sshh:

Perhaps another reason there aren't that many floating around in pawn shops is that their horns are excellently made and priced accordingly. Thus, you don't have a lot of high school kids using them and selling them off when they get to college and find out they don't want to be music majors. Most Schilke horns are bought by trumpet players who know what they're doing and what they want.

The best horn is the one that fits your playing style and needs. You would be far better served getting advice from a trumpet teacher who knows your playing characteristics than by supply and demand.

You can get a Schilke Bb or C starting at $1500.00 before any options are added. That's only $50 more than a Strad from Musician's Friend. Of course Schilke is running an 8 month lead time on all new orders, but price wise, they aren't too outrageous if you search around.

Yamaha makes a couple Schilke clones, I like Callet's as an alternative.

Money wise Bessons are a good alternative.But the berylium bell is what sets off the Schilkes from others.

My experience with Bb and C Shilkes has been less than fortunate. Whenever I have played on one, it has been horribly out of tune. The harmonics were not slotted well. I have heard much better things about their higher trumpets (D, Eb, picc.) I recently bought a Bach Stard. 72 bell, medium large bore, reverse leadpipe and couldn't be happier with it. In today's horns that are made on a manufacturing line you need to try out trumpets in person for a while before buying. They are very often inconsistant between the same model. For this reason, I would never buy an instrument online, but that's just my opinion.