First Post

....I didn't think many would remember us...

As I recall things (forgive the inaccuracy of my memories of ~35 years ago), the proper name of our corps was the Los Angeles Chinese Drum and Bugle Corps. Our corps was entirely comprised of Americans of asian (primarily Chinese) descent. Several of the kids in the corps had parents who were members of the Chung Wah and Mei Wah drum and cymbal corps active in Los Angeles during the 1930's. Since we did not have a nickname, we were called various names (no jokes, please) including the Dragons, the Chinese, etc. We finally adopted Imperial Dragons in 1970. Through those years, we routinely put 140 on the field.

We primarily marched in the Southern California American Legion circuit until 1970 when we began to tour. Some of our local competitors were the Anaheim Kingsmen, Velvet Knights, Lynwood Diplomats, Bellflower Ambassadors, Koyasan Boy Scouts, Joaquin Caballeros, Senioritas, Capitolaires, San Diego Albacores, and the Golden Statesmen.

In 1970, we went to the AL National Championships in Portland, Oregon, and competed against many more corps in the far West, especially a new corps from northern California who I believe were called the Vanguard. I also remember lining up Off the Line behind a drum and bell corps that year called the Blue Devils.

Some names and memories of the past include:

A drill by Ike Ianessa of the 27th Lancers (where do you think the Lancers got the idea to play Crown Imperial?)

Horn arrangements by Bob Bunce

One year of drum arrangements by Bob Devlin of the Boston Crusaders

A drill by Rob Hertel of the Anaheim Kingsmen

Corps directors Phil Kwan and Bill Lee

Drum instructors Bob and Verne Buck (any of you VK cats remember them?)

One year the Madison Scouts and the Greatest Show on Earth came to town (heresy!)

Oriental Odyssey was our show, complete with dragon dancers, teak Buddha-shaped trophies, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that it was George Wong's idea to introduce olympic-style entrances during retreats. EVERYONE remembers the food; teryaki sticks, egg rolls, and chow mein.

In 1971, we toured to the Northeast, camped with the Yankee Rebels (hoo-yah), and we always wondered what was in the water bucket that they passed around while waiting to perform. We went to a show that was won by Blue Rock, and got rained out of our show with 27th. Came in 23rd at AL Nationals.

Some other experiences include marching tympani, tri-toms, real sabres, white bucks and pants with stripes, marching chimes and bells, 6-man snare lines (the AK snare line centerwheel to face the crowd during OTL was a thrill), ticks, inspections, playing "Shaft" off the field after shows where we scored low, the Vanguard's "Fiddler on the Roof" finale, long hair under shakos, counting the dropped bodies during the summer shows, marking time to knee height, etc., etc., etc.

Well, I've got to practice snare now. I can't have those 16 year olds that I play with think that us old farts can't keep up. More later, I just need to remember where I kept the ginko biloba.

Just remember, with drum corps, it's ALL good!

Welcome! Hope you enjoy! Some good information!! Thanks!

imperialdragons.jpg

Here is a picture of the Imperial Dragons from the 1975 Drum Corps West Championship program. The corps made finals in 9th place with a score of 60.65

The Imperial Dragons from Los Angeles were formed in 1954 as the Los Angeles Chinese Drum and Bugle corps. In 1975, their show opened with "Enter the Dragon" and "This Time It's For Real:. The concert consisted of "Night on Bald Mountain", "The Three Musketeers" and the exit was "The Way We Were".

In 1975, they had 38 brass, 16 percussion, 18 flags, 10 weapons and 4 in the color section. Miss Janice Chock was the Drum Major.

Edited by argonaut

imperialdragons.jpg

Here is a picture of the Imperial Dragons from the 1975 Drum Corps West Championship program. The corps made finals in 9th place with a score of 60.65

The Imperial Dragons from Los Angeles were formed in 1954 as the Los Angeles Chinese Drum and Bugle corps. In 1975, their show opened with "Enter the Dragon" and "This Time It's For Real:. The concert consisted of "Night on Bald Mountain", "The Three Musketeers" and the exit was "The Way We Were".

In 1975, they had 38 brass, 16 percussion, 18 flags, 10 weapons and 4 in the color section. Miss Janice Chock was the Drum Major.

WOW! Bruce!

WHERE do you get these great images?

WOW! Bruce! 

WHERE do you get these great images?

I have lots of old programs from the 70’s when I march in the Argonauts. I also found some when my dad past away that he had in storage. I just recently rediscovered them when my home was broken into. The burglar dumped everything in my cabinets and files on the floor, looking for valuables. When I was cleaning up I came across all my drum corps memorabilia. The thief must have not been a drum corps fan, although he did take my 1991 DCI championship DVD. The little #@^%$%$# I hope he enjoys the Star of Indiana.

I remember seeing some of those Buddha trophies in the Argonauts hall. They were the coolest trophys in the whole case.