Wicked

The upcoming season marks the 5th season of competition for the Roselle Park Conquistadors. This season we are taking you on a journey to the Land of Oz as we present our 2005 program: Wicked.

The show will be divided up into segments that tell the story of Elphaba, better known as the Wicked Witch of the West.

Part I - No One Mourns the Wicked/Defying Gravity – The opener is sort of a prologue for the show. No One Mourns the Wicked is a celebration of the death of the Witch. The corps opens up with the familiar opening theme of Wicked into a series of solos before a large hit. We segue straight into Defying Gravity and then end with No One Mourns the Wicked once more.

Part II - For Good – Part II is the ballad of our show in which two former friends, Elphaba and Glinda meet once again and Elphaba apologizes for all of her wrong doing and renews her friendship. The corps will be an accompaniment to two soprano soloists having the feature for the number.

Part III - As Long As You're Mine – Part III is about Elphaba’s love for Fiyero, a friend from her childhood. A soprano soloist once again sets the mood for this song as the corps features in the background. The song fades into a haunting triplet bell pattern setting the stage for later in the show.

Drum Solo - Fiyero's Death& Elphaba's Turmoil – This is an original piece written by the corps. It is used to symbolize Elphaba’s emotions of anguish and utter chaos as she discovers the death of her lover.

Part IV - No Good Deed – No Good Deed is a representation of Elphaba’s emotions after losing Fiyero as well as many others that are close to her including her sister Nessarose, better known as the Wicked Witch of the East. The corps brings out this emotion in the powerful closer with huge chords and many runs and a triplet feel that is present through the entire song. From here we go back into No One Mourns the Wicked and the show ends with a power chord.

The corps is very excited about the show. We had time to begin running through the music after prelims since we did not advance. An official open house date for next season will be announced later this month. For more information and to listen to this, and past repertoires, visit our website.

**DISCLAIMER – Because Wicked is such a new musical and it is currently on broadway, I went through the process of obtaining permission to use the name and music from Stephen Schwartz, who wrote the play. I obtained permission on the grounds that my arrangements of his work were not to be used for any purpose other than the Fantasy Corps. Please refrain from stealing or “borrowing” my arrangements. Thank you.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Wicked":

WONDERFULL!!!! It's about TIME a drum corps used material from this terriffic musical. I can't WAIT to see your "Tour Shirts"!!!

Best of luck to you!!!!

DEFY GRAVITY!!!

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

WONDERFULL!!!!  It's about TIME a drum corps used material from this terriffic musical.

I agree with Elphaba..I think this is going to be a wonderful show! Good Luck Conquistadors!

Danny Holderby

Director

Ohio Valley Thunder and Mountaineer-Div. I

Hmm.... The Potomac River Knights are still planning their 2005 real DCP-I show. Should be interesting. we'll see you on the field. ^0^

Oh yes ^0^ Watch out, this time you WILL feel our wrath!

I predict a huge battle between us and the entire DCP-I will feel the aftermath of our feud. ^0^ ^0^

::NEWS::

The Conquistadors' buses pulled into Roselle Park today after the long trip from Oklahoma City. The kids were all asked to turn in their uniforms and equipment before they left so they could be repaired if need be.

After the corps proper was released for the season and left, the corps' staff and administration had a sit down meeting at Conquistador Hall to discuss future plans. Many issues were discussed and decisions made.

One proposal that was made was a uniform change to fit the Wicked theme for the upcoming season. That proposal was turned down for tradition purposes. The corps will enter the field in their traditional flamenco hats and black kick pleats next season.

Another proposal was to drop the corps down to division 2 because of the inability to make it past prelims for 3 years in a row. The administration came to the decision that the corps will stay in division 1 because the show that has been picked will bring results.

The corps has taken much heat as well as praise for the show concept. Critics say that the corps will fail because they are breaking away from the traditional spanish style show. The administration had this to say: "...that was one reason we picked this show at this point in time. The corps has not been competitive long enough to have a set style of music and we wanted to break away from the spanish style so that fans would not expect a latin show every year. Next season might bring a return to the latin style but this year we wanted to be innovative and give the drum corps world something they have never experienced."

Upon returning to the hall, the staff also found hundreds of e-mails containing membership applications. The corps will have to make massive cuts this season because a total of 219 new members are expected to arrive at the corps' open house which will be on February 12th at Conquistador Hall.

At the conclusion of the meeting, all staff members shook hands and bid farewell for the time being. They get to enjoy some home life before picking up and starting all over again next weekend.

Edited by Skylinersop16

• 3 weeks later...

**Announcement**

After much debate, the Conquistadors have decided not to form a senior corps at this time. There is much work currently going into the junior corps and all interested members have been directed towards it. Maybe in the furture when we get more age outs, we will have enough to field a small senior corps.

The corps would like to wish everyone good luck that is competing in the upcoming senior corps season.

this could happen :)