Fav Color Guard

Who is the all-time fav color guard?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the all-time fav color guard?

• Cavaliers
    • Madison Scouts
    • Blue Devils
    • Bridgemen
    • 27th Lancers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • SCV
    • Velvet Knights
    • Freelancers
    • Seneca Optimists
    • Blue Stars
    • Kilties
    • Crossmen
    • Suncoast Sound
    • Others

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the question is who was the best, there's only one answer, however there can be opinions about who your favorite is.....well BD.

I'm very shocked that anyone would vote SCV as their favorite CG. Hornline-yes, drum line-yes but guard???

Sorry, that's my opinion.....on any given year SCV during my era did not stick out or was not considered to be well, good, except for that last move-the bottle dance, however that doesn't make up for not using weapons, and just generally not looking like a top guard. Now, for everyone else that believes this, and I know there are many, I've said it and there it is! I'll take the heat, but I know you're thinking it too.....there I've said it, there it is!

By the way, this does not reflect on the girls that marched, they're great girls, but to not see Phantom, Kingsmen, BD and the boys getting any props, well that's just wrong!

You can flame away, however I in this case do know what I'm talking about.....so then best-=27, Favorite (because it can't be my own = BD and BD today as well.

Edited by LancerFi

I'm very shocked that anyone would vote SCV as their favorite CG. Hornline-yes, drum line-yes but guard???

Santa Clara's guard has used rifles over the years. The years that stand out in my mind are '74 and '87, when I felt they had really fine guards, and pretty darned good rifle lines, from what I could tell.

I know you know your guard, Nancy, and I'm certainly not questioning that. For what it's worth, my vote went to 27th Lancers for best and favorite color guard. I've always felt that way, and always will. I think you pretty much epitomized what guard is supposed to be at all levels, and set a standard few other guards have been able to match.

However, having said that, there are some Santa Clara guards which are among my favorites. Yes, they did stop using weapons for a number of years, and frankly, I didn't much care for that. But stylistically, they did some things on flag which I always liked. Just my personal opinion, and I know it's something a lot of guard people don't agree with. But I enjoyed a lot of the musical interpretation they did, which tended to interpret music quite literally, rather than in broad strokes. It was not so much a physical guard, but a musically interpretive one. And that's what set them apart on a number of occasions. That's just my opinion, but it's one I stand by.

And it may help explain why some people will choose Santa Clara as being one of their favorite guards. Remember that the poll isn't asking which guard is best, but which is a person's favorite. In addition to the more subtle musical interpretation in the '70s, Santa Clara also developed a more theatrical approach for the color guard in the '80s. That's a tradition which stands out in many people's minds, and may be another explanation for why some folks are voting for Santa Clara.

I only had to look until I found the numbers. No questions asked - no other guard was the "best" over the long haul.

BD - whom LancerFi knows I am the official stalker - performs in a different era. They are artisitic in a different setting, unlike the era when execution with rifles, flag and sabers ruled the earth.

In honor of LancerFi, wifey, (Molly :) ) and so many other Lancer women, I know the standards they set for the rest of the guard world. Their efforts and excellence would be recognized in any era.

Santa Clara's guard has used rifles over the years. The years that stand out in my mind are '74 and '87, when I felt they had really fine guards, and pretty darned good rifle lines, from what I could tell.

I know you know your guard, Nancy, and I'm certainly not questioning that. For what it's worth, my vote went to 27th Lancers for best and favorite color guard. I've always felt that way, and always will. I think you pretty much epitomized what guard is supposed to be at all levels, and set a standard few other guards have been able to match.

However, having said that, there are some Santa Clara guards which are among my favorites. Yes, they did stop using weapons for a number of years, and frankly, I didn't much care for that. But stylistically, they did some things on flag which I always liked. Just my personal opinion, and I know it's something a lot of guard people don't agree with. But I enjoyed a lot of the musical interpretation they did, which tended to interpret music quite literally, rather than in broad strokes. It was not so much a physical guard, but a musically interpretive one. And that's what set them apart on a number of occasions. That's just my opinion, but it's one I stand by.

And it may help explain why some people will choose Santa Clara as being one of their favorite guards. Remember that the poll isn't asking which guard is best, but which is a person's favorite. In addition to the more subtle musical interpretation in the '70s, Santa Clara also developed a more theatrical approach for the color guard in the '80s. That's a tradition which stands out in many people's minds, and may be another explanation for why some folks are voting for Santa Clara.

Actually, I made an error, there is only 1 vote for SCV as it stands now, when I saw 50/50 I thought there were many more votes. Yes, there may be 2 years that stick out, you mentioned but 2...

For the years I marched, there were so many better guards....BD had no difficulty, but boy were they perfect, effortless. Phantom, more hard core, like we were, Kingmen, well I still have not seen a still of their guard that is a bad one, not an easy task in any era. You believe they had a theatrical approach, I'm sorry I just don't see it......I still believe they were inflated during the years I marched, for what reason, I don't know. They were #### good marchers, maybe the best out there, but I believe it ended there....

But as you say, this is favorite, not necessarily the best, so anyone who picks anyone has their valid points! Agreed!

I like near or as close to perfection as possible, along with difficulty, and interpretation of music, along with how well the guard is integrated/written into the show, no other did that like the Zingali guard of the late 70s and early 80s IMHO. 81 was also a banner year, however I don't believe our guard gets the kudos they deserve....it may have even been better than 79 and 80 in my opinion...

But SCV guards, late 70s, I do have to say they marched their arses off!! It's just a shame that with all of that talent, bedposts and small dowels/small or short swing flags......just didn't and doesn't do it for me....if they had kept on as they did, maybe I could have enjoyed it better. We had pom poms, there is no apology appropriate, we also used dowels in in 1978.....guard and corps.....Zingali was a GE monger... :P Anyway, in this case to each his own!

Edited by LancerFi

I voted 2-7.

Honorable mention to the Anaheim Kingsmen, who aren't on the list.

I voted 2-7.

Honorable mention to the Anaheim Kingsmen, who aren't on the list.

Yeah, was there no more room? I believe the Kingsmen should be on any list of favorite guards......however this list could have gone on for 3 full pages and someone still may have been missed!

Then there's WGI....oh my.....

Sue, I would like to add that I'm going to go to my videos and DVDs to see exactly what you're talking about.

Let's face it, while a member, you never quite get to see as many shows as you'd like, especially when they were having full retreats at every show!

Nancy - I think I might be able to 'splain the SCV thing.

(since I'm older than you - neener neener!)

Back in MY day, which was even before YOUR day, and keeping in mind I was in an all male corps (WWBD!), SCV burst onto the pre DCI drum corps scene and lit the fields on fire! They were new, oh so innovative, and the Bottle Dance was like the Troopers' Sunburst - it had NEVER been done before!

Nobody had ever SEEN anything like this before! (can any of you other geezers out there back me up on this?)

They literally STOLE the dominance of drum corps that had once been the exclusive purview of the East and Midwest, and my personal sense is that they changed the face of Drum Corps - in a very GOOD way - forever!

I can't comment on the execution part re guardwork, which I leave to you, my dear one, but in a GE sense SCV boggled the mind - but then my mind was a typical 16 year old snare drummer's mind - full of mush but thankfully also full of rudiments! Oh, and the SCV guard to me were BABES! (ok I had the hormone thing going at the time, too!)!

Does this make sense?

Also, concur strongly on Dan's endorsement of Anaheim Kingsmen - wholeheartedly!

Edited by RobH