Fav Color Guard

Who is the all-time fav color guard?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the all-time fav color guard?

• Cavaliers
    • Madison Scouts
    • Blue Devils
    • Bridgemen
    • 27th Lancers
    • Phantom Regiment
    • SCV
    • Velvet Knights
    • Freelancers
    • Seneca Optimists
    • Blue Stars
    • Kilties
    • Crossmen
    • Suncoast Sound
    • Others

I know you know your guardand favorite color guard.

byline, I to know that you know guards as well! Much better than I, I might add! :rolleyes:

When asked to take over the 27 rifle line at the end of 81, I felt I was not competent enough to do it. I said yes for about 3 weeks then for that, and many other reasons, I decided at the 81 banquet to renege (sp?).

I believe you've taught and maybe judged as well? I only did about 2 months or so of the 1977 27 Cadets Winter Guard. And a few very short stints cleaning for some local WGI guards (very early WGI). I just felt that I expected too much, and also didn't have the confidence! I could practice for 12 hours, but to ask others to do it, I couldn't....it's very odd to me that I was so insecure about teaching.

I guess when you're insecure, you're insecure about everything!!

Wow, what's that now, 4 or 5 posts in a row.......back to putting stuff up on Ebay.....

Edited by LancerFi

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love her!

:rolleyes:  :whistle:  :music:

Um wubber, did you say you're not voting??? :rock: :rock:

You believe they had a theatrical approach, I'm sorry I just don't see it......

Remember, when I made that comment, I was referring specifically to the '80s. For the '70s, I felt they had a very literal visual interpretation of the music. Meaning that for nearly every note that was played, they did a corresponding visual movement to match. Not always, but I felt they did that more consistently than many other guards (especially when it came to flag), who tended to interpret music more in broad strokes than note-for-note.

But going back to my theatrical comment, think of the shows Santa Clara did in the '80s, on into the early '90s:, not only was the guard becoming more and more theatrical, but the whole corps was. However, the guard led the way. Remember the Russian shows in '86 and '87, "Phantom of the Opera" (of course) in '88 and '89, "Carmen" in '90 and "Miss Saigon" in '91 (I thought the "Carmen" show featured one of their best guards ever). I think you'd have to agree that not only did the guard do its visual work in those shows, but they also told a story, playing a much more theatrical role, year after year, than many other guards during that same time frame.

byline, I to know that you know guards as well!  Much better than I, I might add!  :rolleyes: 

No way am I better than you in that regard! Yes, I did teach for 14 years, and I also judged quite a bit during that time period. But all the means is that I have a lot of experience in that particular area. Doesn't make me any better than anyone else, and certainly not you.

My opinions about Santa Clara have never been universally accepted by others. Most of the other guard people I've ever talked to about this are pretty much be in agreement with you. So please don't feel insecure about your own opinion. You've got a lot of company, and I certainly understand where you're coming from.

I can't explain why I liked Santa Clara's flagwork so much back then. But I think it's because I started out as a musician, and came into guard very late. (I started playing music in my early teens, but didn't start doing guard until I was 19). So the visual interpretation of music was always very important to me, and it was how I tended to write my own guard shows. I tended to love guards not necessarily because they had the most physically demanding shows (though I enjoyed those, too), but because they helped me see the music I was hearing. I don't know if that makes any sense, but it's why I always loved Torvill and Dean (the British ice dancers) so much, because they went into such depth and detail in their interpretation of the music. You not only heard the music they performed to, but saw it as it was being played.

That's about the best explanation I can offer for why I enjoyed Santa Clara's guards so much way back when. But I think that only makes sense if you come from a similar background. If you come more from a guard purist background, then I can see why that might sound sort of flaky.

P.S.1 By the way, when I said that I know you know your guard, I didn't mean to say that you know only 27th Lancers guard. I meant that you know guard . . . period. The whole activity, top to bottom, and what makes a guard a really fine guard. I don't know if I was entirely clear with that comment, so I wanted to explain, just to make sure.

P.S.2 I vaguely remember a post by Whitney Densmore over on RAMD, comparing her experiences marching guard first with Santa Clara (late '70s) and then Blue Devils (early '80s), and what she had learned from both groups. If I can find that post via Google, I'll link it here, because I found it to be a really neat comparison of both groups.

Edited by byline

With what I saw during the '70's, with regards to being innovative, I would have to say 2-7. Who else had double flags, had the color guard jumping up and doing the splits also had 10 to 12 rifles spinners laying on their backs spinning rifles!!! :rolleyes:

Come here gang, doing all that stuff isn't easy especially when you do the splits and land on astro turf, OUCH!!! :whistle:

Oh Danny Boy, the pipes, the pipers.........

Hey Nancy, my vote was # 10 for you gals !!!! b**bs

Edited by ODBC

P.S.2 I vaguely remember a post by Whitney Densmore over on RAMD, comparing her experiences marching guard first with Santa Clara (late '70s) and then Blue Devils (early '80s), and what she had learned from both groups. If I can find that post via Google, I'll link it here, because I found it to be a really neat comparison of both groups.

Found it (you may have to scroll down the thread; I can't figure out a way to link a single post from Google): Corps methods

How can there be any other guard BUT 27th Lancers?!

First, best, ONLY!

I wubs you, LancerFi! :rolleyes:

Remember, when I made that comment, I was referring specifically to the '80s. For the '70s, I felt they had a very literal visual interpretation of the music. Meaning that for nearly every note that was played, they did a corresponding visual movement to match. Not always, but I felt they did that more consistently than many other guards (especially when it came to flag), who tended to interpret music more in broad strokes than note-for-note.

But going back to my theatrical comment, think of the shows Santa Clara did in the '80s, on into the early '90s:, not only was the guard becoming more and more theatrical, but the whole corps was. However, the guard led the way. Remember the Russian shows in '86 and '87, "Phantom of the Opera" (of course) in '88 and '89, "Carmen" in '90 and "Miss Saigon" in '91 (I thought the "Carmen" show featured one of their best guards ever). I think you'd have to agree that not only did the guard do its visual work in those shows, but they also told a story, playing a much more theatrical role, year after year, than many other guards during that same time frame.

Unfortunately, no, I've never seen Carmen, Miss Saigon, 86, 87, 88, 89....none of them. #1 - I was working at Club Med as a G.O. outside of the country in 86 and 87. And DCI lost me right after that for about 10 years. #2, sad to say but SCV is usually my "take a break" corps.

I was only talking the years I know best 1968 to 1985. And little pieces I've seen on video. Once guards/corps became more alike, I believe they lost their identity so I can usually on tell Madison and Cavies and of course BD and Cadets guards. Oh and Phantom-all women. Except for the all males/femalse, even in uniform if I'm unfamiliar with their uniforms I cannot tell who is who!

So now, I'm only taking into account the my families era when we were heavily involved!

Edited by LancerFi