Pearl offering *8* new hardware colors.

MikeN

Haha, Pearl once again riding the coattails of Premier and Yamaha.

Riding the coattails? WTF?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh yeah, do I stutter? Premier and Yamaha have offered colored hardware for several years now. Pearl is just now getting on the bandwagon.

Just a question since it came up already, but I believe, do not quote me but please correct me if I am wrong, that Pearl was the first to offer a real Free Floating system. Where no hardware was attatched to the shell, in essence, you could play the drum 'shell less' but I wouldn't advise it. The other manufacturers offer high tension drums but Pearl offered the only free floating system (anybody know if this is 100% accurate. I have an older Pearl that is a real free floating drum, however I can not find the particular information from them if it is still this way.)

The real order is as follows...

Premier

Yamaha (Premier)

Pearl

Yamaha (their own drum this time)

Premier introduced the HTS snares in '88 and Star was the first corps to use them in '89.  The Blue Devils marched the prototpe free floater in '89 but it was nothing more than a Premier snare with a Yamaha snare strainer and badging.  Pearl prototyped the FFX in '90 with the help of SCV.  Yamaha prototyped another free floater in '92 (Cavs, Scouts) but was still very much a Premier HTS with minor changes.  Yamaha finally unveils their own production model in '93 known as the SFZ.

actually didn't Bluecoats use them in 89 or 88? (Premier free floaters)

Just a question since it came up already, but I believe, do not quote me but please correct me if I am wrong, that Pearl was the first to offer a real Free Floating system.  Where no hardware was attatched to the shell, in essence, you could play the drum 'shell less' but I wouldn't advise it.  The other manufacturers offer high tension drums but Pearl offered the only free floating system (anybody know if this is 100% accurate.  I have an older Pearl that is a real free floating drum, however I can not find the particular information from them if it is still this way.)

You are right... Pearl was the first company with an "actual" free floating system where ALL hardware was removed from the shell. Then followed Premier and the rest is history

actually didn't Bluecoats use them in 89 or 88?  (Premier free floaters)

Yes, the Bluecoats did use the Premier's free-floating snares in '89 and '90 but Star of Indiana got them first. I can't imagine why they would have gotten them before anyone else. :lol: Haha!

As an aside, in 1988 the Bluecoats were still using Ludwig drums.

• 5 months later...

Why doesn't anybody use Premier anymore? Also, they don't seem to market themselves much. I never see their ads in the DCI magazines or anything.

Why doesn't anybody use Premier anymore?  Also, they don't seem to market themselves much.  I never see their ads in the DCI magazines or anything.

Premier went through a period where their drums were just...crap. More fragile than italian car and came apart as fast as they drove. But man...those early 90s premiers... you get them tuned and they were the loudest and most projecting drum around.

Ive used pearl and yamaha in championships as Giants Stadium with my band - and we've never gotten the sound we had back with the premiers.

Premier went through a period where their drums were just...crap.  More fragile than italian car and came apart as fast as they drove.  But man...those early 90s premiers... you get them tuned and they were the loudest and most projecting drum around.

Ive used pearl and yamaha in championships as Giants Stadium with my band - and we've never gotten the sound we had back with the premiers.

Is that period over? If so, how come they still don't seem to be being used and marketed in the DCI circle?

Why doesn't anybody use Premier anymore?  Also, they don't seem to market themselves much.  I never see their ads in the DCI magazines or anything.

I thought the Mandarins are still on Premier...