some old corps photos

1967DB.jpg

Here's a guess:

July 4th, 1967

Washington St.

South Norwood, MA

At about 5:00 pm

If I'm right... I badly need a life.

Re: Girl soloist. We believe that this is Betty Motto, a good soprano soloist from the San Gabriel, CA, Senoritas. I'm checking with the rest of the SoCal Lokes to confirm.

There's an .mp3 floating around of her solo at Lakewood I&E in 1964 and she ain't half bad!

Ai, Chihuahua! What a honey!

RON HOUSLEY

Re: Pg 164 Mickey & Roc Pic: That was pretty funny about Tom singling out Royer for a special gretting. If you were to add the word "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh" and then a real loud "F-word" that would have been the sound of me falling over and hitting the ground in that silly knight and horse costume, which is probably the only time that has been said by a participant of the Main Street Christmans Parade. (Saved the horn, though!)

Oddly enough, if you can picture this: The Lakewood, CA, Ambassadors had done a parade thru Dismal-Land in mid August where the temp on the street was over 105 degrees.....we marched thru the side gates at the end of the gig and everybody collapsed! Unis strewn over the lawn, people tossing their cookies, fainting, the whole ball of whacks!

Now picture Pluto the Dog. Still in his costume, Pluto comes walking by with his hands behind his back, shaking his head back and forth. As he comes up even with me, he looks at me and says the only words I have ever heard Pluto say:

"What a F-ked up parade!"

Never laughed harder in my life!

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

Re: Pg 164 Mickey & Roc Pic:  That was pretty funny about Tom singling out Royer for a special gretting.  If you were to add the word "Ohhhhhhhhhhhh" and then a real loud "F-word" that would have been the sound of me falling over and hitting the ground in that silly knight and horse costume, which is probably the only time that has been said by a participant of the Main Street Christmans Parade.  (Saved the horn, though!)

Oddly enough, if you can picture this:  The Lakewood, CA, Ambassadors had done a parade thru Dismal-Land in mid August where the temp on the street was over 105 degrees.....we marched thru the side gates at the end of the gig and everybody collapsed!  Unis strewn over the lawn, people tossing their cookies, fainting, the whole ball of whacks! 

Now picture Pluto the Dog.  Still in his costume, Pluto comes walking by with his hands behind his back, shaking his head back and forth.  As he comes up even with me, he looks at me and says the only words I have ever heard Pluto say:

"What a F-ked up parade!"

Never laughed harder in my life!

RON HOUSLEY

Don't know if any of you remember Cary Avilla from SCV and West Coast Express. He looked just like Cheech Marin, and one Halloween a friend of ours who was a hat maker at D-land whipped him up a set of mouse ears with the classic "f-off" sewn in. Cary walked around in his tights that night playing his soprano looking just like Cheech.....wish I wad a picture......memories

Hey Milano, is that you on the end?

It does look a lot like me, but no it's not. His name is Greg Pacer, probably the best snare drummer no one's ever heard of. He marched with Mitch Markovich in Des Plaines Vanguard, before they came over to the Cavies in the early 60's. Greg stayed until 1968. I joined in the fall of 1969. I was often questioned by judges and other corps directors because I looked so much like Greg. Interestingly, after I aged-out in 1974, another snare drummer, who looked remarkably like me, joined the corps. He got the same stares I did. They're both good friends of mine now.

This was a staged promotional picture for Rogers taken during the winter. Some of those guys in the picture weren't really snare drummers. A few were from the tenor line if I recall correctly.

Hope you're doing well, Russell.