some old corps photos

I see you too! OK....which one are you?  :P  Hey....but I do see SNEAD!  :laugh:

American Flag on left.. count over 5 silks.. 3 guys down directly from the 5th silk.

.. with that awesome 70's hair.. :huh:

*heeheehee*

2 things about that 1979 Blue Stars photo...

#1.

40594505.jpg

#2.

40594512.jpg

A Star in the Blue Stars perhaps?? YOU MAKE THE CALL! :P

And what's up with the other guy I have circled in yellow?? Talk about DQ material... he looks to be about 48 years old!

Edited by ZenJones

I was at that house in 1968 over Christmas on my way to my post in Germany, Mike.  At least I think it was that house.  I sat in with the Bergenfield HS Band, I remember that. At a Christmas Party at Angelica's house, Dave Shaw wanted to, uh, have sex with me.  I'm straight and at the time naive, I guess, as I was pretty shocked at his advances. 

Any way, didn't happen. 

But, aside from that, going to a Hawthorne rehearsal was kinda fun even though I was amazed to see all the "+ and o" written over each note in the contra book.

That was in 1968. Angelica came out to write for the Lynwood, CA, Diplomats in 1971.  Nothing was mentioned about the Shaw incident even though he knew I was the same guy.

RON HOUSLEY

Most of us in the corps were not big fans of Shaw, actually. More a personality thing than a sexual orientation thing, though. He never came on to me or anyone I knew.

Don would invite the music majors out to his house. There were 8-10 of us in the corps in 72. He'd give us pieces to arrange and then we'd arrange them for the corps brass. The corps would play through them and Don would later critique our charts. He was a great teacher. Mine was "When Johnny Comes Marching Home".

Don got quite sick in the summer of 72...hepatitus. His assistant, Frank Levy, basically ran the hornline much of the summer. Frank was Bergenfield's orchestra director at the time, though he later took on the band job as well.

Mike

I'm looking down the horn line and except for the contras moving into their set I don't see any misses.  I must be blind....:laugh:

It was humour. Everyone is already grouped in straight lines - except the four contras, who are laggin about two paces behind the rest of the brass.

I guess you'd have to know contra players to understand :P

Nice framing of the tymps, by the way.

Regards,

John

It was humour. Everyone is already grouped in straight lines - except the four contras, who are laggin about two paces behind the rest of the brass.

I guess you'd have to know contra players to understand  :P

Regards,

John

Ahhh....me...miss....humor......doh!!!

I guess you'd have to know contra players to understand  :P

Regards,

John

As an eight year contra player, I DON'T SEE THE HUMOR HERE SAM!!!!! :P j/k