some old corps photos

The 1986 US Open was August 8 & 9........

You don't have any pictures of us from that year? :(

The lost year of '73. Very rare to see pictures of ANY Corps from that year.

Are there any others out there?........anyone?

Ah well, here are some of SCV...

OTL

73OTLGuard.jpg

Copper Triple Toms

73drumline.jpg

Horns...LEG LIFT!

a95ff237.jpg

The lost year of '73. Very rare to see pictures of ANY Corps from that year.

Are there any others out there?........anyone?

Ah well, here are some of SCV...

Copper Triple Toms

73drumline.jpg

Mark Waxman, Wally Shnallie(sp?), robin Menke...and who is the last guy?

I am pretty sure this is not my old corps. My Ambassadors (Newmarket, ON) didn't have uniforms like that at any time in their history. The colours and white stripe are vaguely like ours but we never real silk blouses like that. It would have been great if we did.
OK, if this is not The Ambassadores any chance there the Bluewater Buccaneers????? Because of the blue uniforms.....

The year was 1972

The contest was in Maumee,OH

It was a Great Lakes Drum Corps Association Contest.

The other corps were the Glassmen, Toledo,OH - Saginaires, Saginaw,MI - Guardsmen, Flint,MI - Midlanders, London,ON - Buckeyes, Cleveland,OH - Vanguards, St Clair Shores,MI

Just found another picture of the unknown corps, they have an AF section. so it's not the Buccaneers.... must be an Ohio or Michigan corps ??????

I agree with Sam (why not with a name like that). I'm not so sure that Ambassadors even existed in 1972. When I first saw the photo a few days ago my impression was that it could be the Rose City Guardsmen (later Windsor Guardsmen), but the focus being what it is, I can't say for sure.

It definitely is not the Buccaneers. And by the way Mr. Burstall, are your eyes going (or memory)? It's black, red and CREAM, not white. Buccaneers's first year was 74 and had the same uniform for the duration into the 80s.

Old Ohio, some Great Lakes corps that existed in 72 (other than the ones you listed at the show in question): Madison Heights Marauders (gray and black unis), Ishpeming Blue Notes, Praesidium all girls, Lionettes, Marching Angels (the last two were Canadian and all girls). There also was a corps from Chicago area that did the occassional GLDCA show called the Hornets. They had yellow in their uniforms. The Kitchener Flying Dutchmen (green unis) and Guelph Opti-Knights also did GLDCA shows back then too.

Regards,

John Swartz

Regarding the SCV copper drums: I was so taken with the cool look of those drums I ordered a Slingerland snare for my drumset in 74 with that finish (TDR strainer of course for you drum freaks). I still have that drum and call it my Vanguard snare.

The '73 and '74 SCV drumlines really redefined the style and sophistication of corps drumming IMO. Their technique was amazing, and those Fred Sanford parts were wonderful. They were the standard of the day.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The 1986 US Open was August 8 & 9........

Oops, sorry, I went to corpsreps.com and saw a show listed for Marion on June 29, but you're right, farther on down the list they have U.S. Open in August. Sorry 'bout that!

I am pretty sure this is not my old corps. My Ambassadors (Newmarket, ON) didn't have uniforms like that at any time in their history. The colours and white stripe are vaguely like ours but we never real silk blouses like that. It would have been great if we did.

I think this is the Blue Saints from Sudbury, Ont.

Edited by susantaylor40

I agree with Sam (why not with a name like that). I'm not so sure that Ambassadors even existed in 1972. When I first saw the photo a few days ago my impression was that it could be the Rose City Guardsmen (later Windsor Guardsmen), but the focus being what it is, I can't say for sure.

It definitely is not the Buccaneers. And by the way Mr. Burstall, are your eyes going (or memory)? It's black, red and CREAM, not white. Buccaneers's first year was 74 and had the same uniform for the duration into the 80s.

Old Ohio, some Great Lakes corps that existed in 72 (other than the ones you listed at the show in question): Madison Heights Marauders (gray and black unis), Ishpeming Blue Notes, Praesidium all girls, Lionettes, Marching Angels (the last two were Canadian and all girls). There also was a corps from Chicago area that did the occassional GLDCA show called the Hornets. They had yellow in their uniforms. The Kitchener Flying Dutchmen (green unis) and Guelph Opti-Knights also did GLDCA shows back then too.

Regards,

John Swartz

Gotta agree Sam..... My first thought was the Rose City Gaurdsmen, but with an AF section, that pretty much rules out a Canadian corps. My next guess would be the Blue Notes.....They never did alot of GLDCA shows, but they DID make an occasional appearance.

I think this is the Blue Saints from Sudbury, Ont.

Good guess, but going by the photo gallery on their website, it doesn't look like them. They need photos for 1972, but going back a couple of years to 1970, they have this uniform style which seems to continue on to about 1986 or so:

SUDB_X_MASPARADE1970.sized.jpg

Edited by byline