some old corps photos

Dang! Sorry John.

Cool. Thanks Russ. By the way, how do you get to be a Scuz Brother? Did you guys play a trio in '75 or something? Or was it because you guys the screamers? I know it's part of SCV lore, but that is one I'm not clear on. Any pix of the Scuz Brothers all together? Was Edward a Scuz Bro.?

Cheers to all the SCV Alumni. :guinesssmilie:

The scuz brothers was a group of five guys that just seemed to get along real well together. I don't even remember how the name came about but it was our own little hype within the overall hype of being a member of the Vanguard. Steve hand painted the five of us on tee shirts standing side by side in our uniforms and he was able to accurately capture a certain quality in each one of us in his caricatures. I wish I still had that shirt.

I don't know if they added any others to the brotherhood after '75 but these are the original five....

Steve Warfield

Kevin McAllister

Bill "Bubba" Ward

Bill Lawrence (aka Billy Beachboy)

Russell Stanton

Scuz brothers for life

The scuz brothers was a group of five guys that just seemed to get along real well together. I don't even remember how the name came about but it was our own little hype within the overall hype of being a member of the Vanguard. Steve hand painted the five of us on tee shirts standing side by side in our uniforms and he was able to accurately capture a certain quality in each one of us in his caricatures. I wish I still had that shirt.

I don't know if they added any others to the brotherhood after '75 but these are the original five....

Steve Warfield

Kevin McAllister

Bill "Bubba" Ward

Bill Lawrence (aka Billy Beachboy)

Russell Stanton

Scuz brothers for life

My husband, Bill Turner (SCV Black Orchid soloist and "honorary scuz brother"), said there also a Commodore connection.

Nancy

i was always amazed that every solo was improvised, something that wasn't so common in drum corps. i thought he was really a hip soloist and always admired those solos that i got to hear from the back sideline while marching in the Commodores. not making finals had its advantages for a young member. i got to see a lot of shows. one thing i remember is seeing Madison at the San Jose show playing Shaft...........then being on tour and seeing a completely new off the line. i really dug checking Jim Elvord out back then.

sorry for the name that soloist mistake. the solos are still quite vivid in my mind though.

thanks

ron

I still get the chills of excitement when ever I see The Troopers do the Sunburst, I think the first time I saw them do it was 1970? I think it may of been at Boston Colleges Alumni Stadium, The CYO Nationals?

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the Troopers (they were the Casper Troopers, then!) performing the "Sunburst" back in 1964 at the NYC World's Fair contest sponsored by the Daily News. Like their famous OTL company front, many corps tried to simulate it and in MHO very few duplicated the goose bumps they produced virtually every time. We did it during our West Side Story show. Looked like this:

Maria-WestSideStory1972.jpg

Submitted with much respect.

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

Understood. :rolleyes: I posted this a while back but in a smaller version bottom of page 1161, apologies for double post. 1977 Alberta All Girls, Belgium. I gave my camera to a chaperone and asked her to take a few photos. Boots on cobble stone and the sound bounced off the buildings.

1977-Belgium1.jpg

I'll try to scan the rest of the 1969 program later.

Man, you guys went everywhere. Talk about touring!

Farthest we ever went from the Philly area was Dallas, TX.

How cool you have such great pictures and the memories to go with them.

Thank you for sharing.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the Troopers (they were the Casper Troopers, then!) performing the "Sunburst" back in 1964 at the NYC World's Fair contest sponsored by the Daily News. Like their famous OTL company front, many corps tried to simulate it and in MHO very few duplicated the goose bumps they produced virtually every time. We did it during our West Side Story show. Looked like this:

Maria-WestSideStory1972.jpg

Submitted with much respect.

Puppet

A lot of that Trooper sunburst had to do with the flags jam packed in the middle pointing outward. That was a solid mass before the burst, and yes they were marching better than anyone at that time, but the color of their uniforms and how different they were made it all that much more spectacular.

Edited by gsksun4

i got to see a lot of shows. one thing i remember is seeing Madison at the San Jose show playing Shaft...........then being on tour and seeing a completely new off the line.

In 1976 Madison didn't change their off the line mid-season, they changed their entire show.