some old corps photos

I don't know, John... that looks like Darryl Cox and Rob Carson there on the left of that snare line pic. They stood next to each other in 1978, and Rob looked like a little kid in 1976... he looks a little more grown up there... :smile:

I'm trying to think when the last year would have been that Santa Clara had rifles (before getting them back in the '80s). They definitely didn't have a rifle line in '78; I'll have to go to my "Legacy" DVDs to see about '77.

Edit: Oops, as usual, I should've read the entire thread before replying, since others had already answered the question. Looks like that photo must have been from '76 . . . so I was in the ballpark! :happy:

Edited by byline

Is there an award for the most photogenic corps? Is there a SINGLE picture of the Anaheim Kingsman that doesn't look completely bad ###? I would kill for one or two pictures of my old corps to look as fierce as every single Kingsman picture ever taken. It's almost like magic or something. It's amazing.

I was just about to say the same thing. The newsworthy thing would be if someone posted an ugly picture of Kingsmen. Hasn't happened yet, as far as I can tell! :happy:

bigK-2.jpg

Anaheim Kingsmen photos like this one. This may be my favorite drum corps photo of all time. It looks like it was computer generated, like from the Matrix. It took my breath away when I first saw it. It's ridiculous. Unreal.

Yes, the Kingsmen shot above was posed of course in front of the replica of Independence Hall at Knotts Berry Farm in Buena Park, Orange County, California. I think the year is 1970 (tassles on the sashes). Cool shot.

Yes, the Kingsmen shot above was posed of course in front of the replica of Independence Hall at Knotts Berry Farm .....

..... without yardlines.

Well, the underside of the center rifle's uniform IS showing a little...

On the other hand, rifle point about an inch off the bottom of the sash on both of them. Holy crap, they were bad azz.

The center Rifle you speak of is Katie Hill. She was, and I'm sure still is, absolutely gorgeous.

The center Rifle you speak of is Katie Hill. She was, and I'm sure still is, absolutely gorgeous.

...And could probably KICK MY AZZ.

bigK-2.jpg

Anaheim Kingsmen photos like this one. This may be my favorite drum corps photo of all time. It looks like it was computer generated, like from the Matrix. It took my breath away when I first saw it. It's ridiculous. Unreal.

Now THAT is what you call Uniformity at it's best! I LOVE IT! :happy::smile::w00t:

Now THAT is what you call Uniformity at it's best! I LOVE IT! :smile::w00t::w00t:

And the only thing that would make it more perfect would be drummers and rifles :happy:

promo pic for the American Int. Open 1976, Butler Pa, that's Bill Lutz on keyboards who won DCI I&E a few years later on KB's.

scan0007.jpg

This is the best drum corps photo ever! Very funny.

Just curious, what do you find funny?

I am in no way trying to start anything with you, I am purely curious. Maybe since I have seen this photo for over 30 years, it is not that obvious to me.

I know I wasn't the one you were asking to explain "what do you find funny?" ... but I can tell you a few things that are "funny" (but not so much in the funny "ha-ha!" sense as much as just the "look how things have changed" sense) to see:

- The wrap around harness/sling for the keyboard there... and the "jammin' happy" look on his face. Of course, he IS with two girls there so I guess I'd be happy, too!

- The snare drummer girl and the right hand grip around the stick. But I'm a snare drummer, so it's an obvious set up to me, not a girl who is an actual snare drummer. She never would have held the stick that way if she was. And not to mention that the snare drum itself is pretty much a piece of junk, but certainly an appropriate color!

- The girl holding the horn, sitting on a bar stool? That's kind of funny right there... why wouldn't she be standing up and maybe pretending she was playing? An obvious "photographers liberty with props" there...

- And certainly not that they are "ridiculous" funny... they aren't. But you do have to admit that by todays standards all three of those uniforms to look pretty "funny" - even the Cadets uniform in its bagginess and totally wrong shako.

Edited by GGarrett