some old corps photos

You're right Russell.. That will teach me to post in a hurry late night when I'm half asleep.. I just didn't want to miss the 1975 page and end up on '76..

To make up for it, he's a current pic of 4 of the true SCV Ancients:

RightHandAgain.jpg

Dale Lofgren, Curt Moore, Allan Kristensen and Kurt Peterson. Look at those sticks.. 35 years later, and without even thinking about it, the angles are nearly perfect.. simply amazing.

I can only imagine the things that Kurt Peterson experienced during his time in SCV. If I'm not mistaken he said he was also in the original Sparks, and aged out in '74, so he was there from the beginning, all the way up through YPG. What an amazing musical body of work to have been a part of as a teen growing into a young adult. All of them were blessed to be a part of the genesis of what dc is today.

Kurt's first year was '69.

RightHandAgain.jpg

Dale Lofgren, Curt Moore, Allan Kristensen and Kurt Peterson. Look at those sticks.. 35 years later, and without even thinking about it, the angles are nearly perfect.. simply amazing.

First thing I noticed with this Pic was the stick angles, even before I read what you wrote. Funny where our eyes go to when these kind of pictures are posted. We're looking for the "tics". Old school, born and bred... yup.

In honor of pg 1975...

'75 SCV Flagline

75SCVFlagline2.jpg

Speaking of tics. Elbows are all good, but... Third flag, right hand a tad too high , fifth flag, right hand a tad too low. Ah well, perfection after a performance shouldn't be totally expected... NOT!!!

Missed it by a day, or page that is.

1975 SCV Contra line...

SCV75Contras.jpg

These guys were pretty awesome if I do say so myself. I got to set them up backfield near the end of the show... Good times.

• Like 1

I think that your Contra line pic is backwards Maggie.

At the same time I'm professing much love for the '75 SCV drumline, I also have to give huge kudos for the '76 BD line. When I finally saw them in Boise on 1st tour with the North tenors, and the cool Air Force Academy looking blue short sleeve shirts, the look was very hip.

Devils3.jpg

This is a picture someone posted of the DATR show. What a great look, and more than anything, when corps stopped playing a concert chart where it was just about letting it all hang out, that was the start of many changes that took the soul away from the individual corps. The drumline cooked, and the plates, man you guys took it to another level during concert. West IS Best, without a doubt. We would all watch just to see if their plumes would touch the ground.. VERY cool to be that limber holding 24" and 26" cymbals. Overall one of my favorite all-time shows and drumlines.

Edited by GregW

At the same time I'm professing much love for the '75 SCV drumline, I also have to give huge kudos for the '76 BD line. When I finally saw them in Boise on 1st tour with the North tenors, and the cool Air Force Academy looking blue short sleeve shirts, the look was very hip.

Devils3.jpg

This is a picture someone posted of the DATR show. What a great look, and more than anything, when corps stopped playing a concert chart where it was just about letting it all hang out, that was the start of many changes that took the soul away from the individual corps. The drumline cooked, and the plates, man you guys took it to another level during concert. West IS Best, without a doubt. We would all watch just to see if their plumes would touch the ground.. VERY cool to be that limber holding 24" and 26" cymbals. Overall one of my favorite all-time shows and drumlines.

That's my picture. I wish I had taken more than I did, but it was hard to concentrate on photography while experiencing that show. It was one of the rare ones, like 65 Royal Airs and 71 SC, that changed my mind about what was possible. I was mistaken if I ID'd this as DATR. Mile high didn't have back bleachers in 76, and that's not Denver in the background. I think this is Ft. Collins. Anyway, thanks for using my picture to remember 76 BD.

Missed it by a day, or page that is.

1975 SCV Contra line...

These guys were pretty awesome if I do say so myself. I got to set them up backfield near the end of the show... Good times.

Curtsclone.jpg

Hi Maggie -

You'll probably get a kick out of this. We were all at camp on Sunday before MLK day, and Kurt Peterson does a double take.. he SWEARS Curt Moore found the way-back machine and decided to march one more year.. What do you think ?

P.S. Is your banner a picture of the guard setting up for inspection or part of the '70 show? Funny how inspection was one of the first things DCI got rid of in '72.. lol

Hi Maggie -

You'll probably get a kick out of this. We were all at camp on Sunday before MLK day, and Kurt Peterson does a double take.. he SWEARS Curt Moore found the way-back machine and decided to march one more year.. What do you think ?

P.S. Is your banner a picture of the guard setting up for inspection or part of the '70 show? Funny how inspection was one of the first things DCI got rid of in '72.. lol

Either a wayback machine or Curt has a kid out there he doesn't know about :ph34r:

I stole that Guard picture off of someones facebook pics. People were speculating that we may be lining up for a "Guard only" retreat but it seems awfully early in the evening. Definately not OTL (we did the corner thing in '70). Inspection doesn't seem right either. I'm thinking that it was at Spartan Stadium and maybe we were setting up to present the A-Flag for "The Star Spangle Banner" before the show. It's just too long ago to remember...

What are you, nuts?

BUMP!!!