santaclara2.jpeg

santaclara3.jpeg

santaclara4.jpeg

santaclara5.jpeg

Bridgemen, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1979:

bridgemen1.jpeg

bridgemen2.jpeg

bridgemen3.jpeg

These are from the show in Chattanooga, Tenn., Aug. 13, 1979.

You don't see many photos of the Madison Junior Scouts, but here they are:

madisonjr1.jpeg

madisonjr2.jpeg

madisonjr3.jpeg

madisonjr4.jpeg

Madison Jr Scouts won CCI for four years straight (I think) They were ### kickers.

DCI finals retreat, Birmingham, Ala., 1979:

retreat1.jpeg

retreat2.jpeg

Here are some "people" photos from Oakland, mostly 1978 with one from 1979. John, I need your help in IDing some of these folks. (My brain is like a sieve, when it comes to names; I just can't seem to retain them!)

Three guys who looked almost identical; I know the fellow on the right is Mark Firth, our head drum major in '78:

oakland78a.jpeg

The next few are, I believe, before a show somewhere during first tour in '78. Mark Firth is admiring a Pepsi can; don't ask, I have no idea why!

oakland78b.jpeg

The next one is of me not wanting my picture taken. I can't recall the name of the fellow I'm with; Vincent, or Vinnie? I'm pretty sure he was one of the keyboard players (Carol was the other).

oakland78c.jpeg

There were three of us who came up from Indiana in '78 to march guard; the fourth photo is of Joanne, one of the other gals from Indiana, with Ken? (not sure of his first name) Gander. And then the fifth picture is of Beth, the other gal from Indiana.

oakland78d.jpeg

oakland78e.jpeg

The last photo is a nice shot of Dan Fleming from '79, after the contest in Chattanooga, Tenn.:

oakland79.jpeg

What's really nice is to see pics of the "smaller" regional corps: Belles of St. Mary's, Rhinelander, for ex. I never got to see them but actually went over to Rhinelander when I was living in WI to check out the area, buncha folkies and dirt hippies and drum corps.....hard to beat that combo for me back then.

Ended up closer to LaCrosse, but Blue Star wasn't seeming to do too much in the early 80s, am I wrong here? I know I spotted Gerry Kearby, my old SoCal roommate and partner in musical crime, teaching some Blue Star drummers out behind your hall down by the river....which was a pretty cool afternoon as I hadn't seen him in about a decade or more.

But, back to the pics.....thanks for posting all of these. Such a rich history from back in the days when there was just craploads of drum corps and every town had one.....especially if you were in WI or IL or MA especially.....though Calif. did OK.

Most of our stuff was pretty much in a regional vacuum though back in the late 50s and early 60s: a few trips to whatever AL or VFW was close enough to get to: Seattle, Portland and Vegas. Not until late 60s did, say, Kingsmen and SCV venture East. And as I think of it there was a lot of especially Kiltie influenced instruction going on down there in Anaheim.....that and Troopers. Probably guys like McNorman and the like had alreadly plundered the WI corps and decided to pillage on the West....hah! The Norman Conquest of Anaheim, circa 1969! Troopers had already circled up our wagons in 67 and taught us how to march: then came Ken Norman and the rest!

California owes a lot from those 60s days to The Kilts and The Troopers: the older Senior corps brass guys from The East had come out earlier after WWII and the 50s, but it was in the 60s before The West started having something to really offer.

Gail Royer was, what, from the Ft. Dodge, IA, Lancers or something? Please refresh my memory on how he got started in drum corps: and thank goodness he did!

RON HOUSLEY

DCI finals retreat, Birmingham, Ala., 1979

retreat2.jpeg

That's really weird, I remember retreat being set up differently....I thought our arc went the other way.....oh my I am losing it. I remember just about the whole show but cannot remember how we stood at retreat....and there were a lot of retreats back then, not just finals!!

Bridgemen, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1979:

bridgemen3.jpeg

There Giordano on the podium or as Z used to say poe-day-um with a French accent....

Here are some "people" photos from Oakland, mostly 1978 with one from 1979.

The last photo is a nice shot of Dan Fleming from '79, after the contest in Chattanooga, Tenn.:

oakland79.jpeg

Byline:

Dan Fleming marched in Dutch Boy Cadets and Northstars in '76 and 77-78, how do I know this? Because I marched with him for all his marching years in Kitchener, Ontario. He was one of our back field drum majors in '78!!!

Nice guy and he has a cute sister too!!!!!

I think she marched in Ventures!!

Edited by ODBC

Santa Clara Vanguard, Chattanooga, Tenn., 1979:

santaclara1.jpeg

santaclara2.jpeg

santaclara3.jpeg

santaclara4.jpeg

santaclara5.jpeg

First of all, that was a heck of a show for it's time! You would never see that many good corps at a local show anymore. How about that 12 man snare line SCV had, plus those massive tenors. WOW! I loved this time frame of drum corps!

Edited by Marching Mallets