some old corps photos

What or who made the decision for 27th to switch to Slingerland in 1980? Rogers was only for one year, right? I can only guess that it was sponsorship.

As a Rogers drumset owner, I thought it was cool that you marched Rogers.

It was an unusual color red....different from anything else out there!

Rogers wanted to get back into the marching percussion market in a big way and 27th was able and willing to use their instruments. The color was a bit odd - like a cooked lobster red. The harnesses were super - loads of adjustment based on their drum set hardware.

In late 79, Rogers opted to not pursue the market, and if timing is everything - we had the Olympics in front of us and Slingerland was trying to dominate the market. We got an exclusive package. It was almost obscene the equipment we got for free, including Remo snare sticks, a gazillion Remo drum heads, and Slingerland mallets. It was a major relief to not worry about where the money was going to come from to purchase those things. We used Slingerland exclusively until 1983.

As for 1980, and the end of season scoring, we had been undefeated in drums until Allentown, when, from out of nowhere, Bayonne and Spirit ran by us.

However, even with BD's strong horn score, if Gene M. had rewarded us with the same VA score he gave us in Allentown, the crown would have gone to us. Yes, it is funny (not funny ?) how we remember the scores, the dates, the venues, and most importantly the friendships.

However, even with BD's strong horn score, if Gene M. had rewarded us with the same VA score he gave us in Allentown, the crown would have gone to us. Yes, it is funny (not funny ?) how we remember the scores, the dates, the venues, and most importantly the friendships.

From Allentown to DCI finals, he also had a fairly significant drop in score for Madison and Garfield, as well. Not sure if that constitutes a conspiracy theory, or just him calling it the way he saw it both times.

I'm not challenging your premise, it's true that had you received the same score, you would have won the championship. But "if only" isn't part of the judging sheets; the judges are called upon to evaluate performances and assign a score, and for better or worse, that's what they do.

The Rest of the Velvet Knights Orange County CA. Fair July 1978

VK-OCFair149a.jpg

VK-OCFair170a.jpg

Greg,

Thanks for these!

This thread is absolutely beyond cool!!! Before this thread, I had a few photos from my last year in DC. Now, after this post, I've got photos from every year and every corps I marched... starting off as a 14 yr. old little kid marchin' a tymp almost as big as me.

I have a 15 yr. old boy who's just about to join corps, and a daughter who wants to do the same. They're both going to crack up when they see these shots.

Thank you!!!

ps - Love the shot of Teddy Z. sportin' the "Jesus wearing cutoffs" look in the 8th pic. Use to see Ted on tour in Colorado... cool guy!!!

As for 1980, and the end of season scoring, we had been undefeated in drums until Allentown, when, from out of nowhere, Bayonne and Spirit ran by us.

Thanks...Interesting!

So you marched with Lyle....I was with him in Troopers in 79.

You are so right about the details you can remember!! The friendships are the best....nothing is better than running into someone and start reliving the crazy, stupid stuff we did!!

jim

Geez! 30 years of mediocrity and you guys are complaining about our ONE western win? Give us this one without complaints, okay?

I knew of the Argonauts and could not figure why until now. I think because of colour guard. No matter.

From one drum major to another I salute you and from one drum corps to another I salute your win. :tongue:

Greg,

Thanks for these!

This thread is absolutely beyond cool!!! Before this thread, I had a few photos from my last year in DC. Now, after this post, I've got photos from every year and every corps I marched... starting off as a 14 yr. old little kid marchin' a tymp almost as big as me.

I have a 15 yr. old boy who's just about to join corps, and a daughter who wants to do the same. They're both going to crack up when they see these shots.

Thank you!!!

ps - Love the shot of Teddy Z. sportin' the "Jesus wearing cutoffs" look in the 8th pic. Use to see Ted on tour in Colorado... cool guy!!!

Hey you're welcome. Stay tuned as I've still got a ton of photos left. I don't want to bombard this board all at once so I'm putting them out there in measured amounts.

The most amazing thing to me (and I'm sure all of us) is that we remember all this stuff as if it happened yesterday. These pictures are worth a thousand words and tell an incredible story that we all share. I like the fact that we don't hate each other on this thread either. I can also tell from the comments that I'm not the only one who thinks about "what ifs" with regards to old rivalries and competitions past. 25-30 years later and the memories are just as clear as the day they happened. Priceless. Let the stories continue...

The coolest thing about the Argonauts were the double snares in 76. Those would be great to see.