some old corps photos

1980DCIAd.jpg

This was an ad from the Birminham News. Apparently the copywriter didn't know the difference between a band and a drum corps. Take a look at that admission price though.

Edited by SoundmanG

Some more VK from 1973.

VK73.jpg

VKWholeCorps.jpg

VKRetreat.jpg

VKRifleLine.jpg

VKFlagLine.jpg

VKHornLine.jpg

VKDrumLine.jpg

Hey CrunchyTenor isn't that you on the right carrying those huge tri-toms?

Some more VK from 1973.

VKDrumLine.jpg

Hey CrunchyTenor isn't that you on the right carrying those huge tri-toms?

Why, yes...yes it is. Along with my partner in crime, Mike "Eskimo" Quinn. We had three tenors that year. I wonder where John Herron was?

Those 65# behemoths. Look closely and you'll see no straps, and how low we carried them. I guess we were ahead of our time. If only Rogers had used lighter weight materials. These tenors, plus the baris and bass tri-toms, were prototypes. Only one set was made like these. Later versions were shallower and much lighter. I wish ours had been more like 27th's in 1979, but with the carriers we used.

Those pictures were taken at the Santa Ana Bowl. Here's a better picture of all three of us. I'm on the left this time.

1973VKTenors-1.jpg

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Those pictures were taken at the Santa Ana Bowl. Here's a better picture of all three of us. I'm on the left this time.

1973VKTenors-1.jpg

Wow......those look about as bad as carrying a tymp!! My condolences to your collective spinal columns!

SOOOOo glad I play soprano!!!

Friggin amazing!...Best snareline EVER!

1980DCIAd.jpg

This was an ad from the Birminham News. Apparently the copywriter didn't know the difference between a band and a drum corps. Take a look at that admission price though.

These days $7 or $8 would get you are hotdog at one of these shows! :withstupid:

Thanks Dave, These were the first drum corps photos I ever saw. Between these photos and one live performance I was hooked. I've got more on the way too as I recently found a box full of old drum corps stuff in my garage.

Cool!...Anymore Golden Statesmen photos?...that was my first corps along with a few other Kingsmen like Mike Ellerby, Maureen Hickman, and Guy Winton to name a few

Cool!...Anymore Golden Statesmen photos?...that was my first corps along with a few other Kingsmen like Mike Ellerby, Maureen Hickman, and Guy Winton to name a few

Didn't Mike actually march as an Albacore before the name change?

Garry in Vegas

Thanks Dave, These were the first drum corps photos I ever saw. Between these photos and one live performance I was hooked. I've got more on the way too as I recently found a box full of old drum corps stuff in my garage.

Fire up the scanner !! Get those pics on here !!! :lol::lol::withstupid:

Sorry Dave, That's the only Golden Statesmen photo I have. Maybe some Ex-Statesmen will find that old shoe box in their garage soon. My scanner is just getting warmed up.

Edited by SoundmanG