some old corps photos

I would check with the 74 guys but I think he may have only been part time. All I know is that I heard a drum line practicing, rode my bike up to the school and snapped this picture. I was afraid they were going to yell at me or something which is why I didn't get any closer.

Ellerby may have been the main drum instructor and perhaps Donny was parttime. I do know that Donny wrote a lot of the parts that year.....great shot of the Blue Stars though...I like seeing rare practice moments!

This photo is of 1972. The young girl in the middle is holding Big Bird. There show was Sesame Street and they took last place at the first DCI Champiuonship. Unfortunately, they had to follow Muchachos in prelims. Thanks for posting this.

IMG_0005-7.jpg

Saginaires - Saginaw, MI -71

Now THAT is pimpin' right there... but friggin' cool as heck BITD...

Ralph Hardimon: Renaissance man :tongue:

By the way... I'm STILL hoping for pics of the Blue Stars staff at a DCI back in the '70's all walking out in full on monk-looking outfits. Here everyone is wearing suits (even though some were "Leisure Suits" ... ) and looking sharp, and these guys looked like they just got out of a cult meeting... LOL

Edited by GGarrett

senecaprincemen1974.jpg

Seneca Princemen from 1975 show program

In spring of 74 I was an instructor for Opti-Cadets. I moved to K-W September 74 to attend university and asked Ventures if they'd hire me as winter guard tech. They did. Rehearsals were Tuesdays and Saturdays. In October 74 Guelph Opti-Knights on Wednesday and starting in December Flying Dutchmen on Mondays. If it wasn't for these drum corps and the caring people, I may not have completed my first year. I did. I'll always be grateful.

After exams in April 1975, I moved back to Toronto. Most people I knew stopped marching at 17 or 18, after finishing high school. Seneca Princemen had a recruiting drive over the winter. I'm guessing but 30% of the 75 corps were new members. They asked me to help teach marching and somehow convinced me to be DM again. This is a rare photo 'cause I stood rarely on a box.

In middle, back field is Dawn Canning, Guard Captain and co-DM. She and a number of older members were the strength of the corps in 1975. They deserve credit. Dawn was co-DM in Seneca Optimists 1976. Also, half of the guard in this photo went to Seneca Optimists :-)

In the fall of 75, I moved back to Kitchener-Waterloo.