some old corps photos

To be honest, we have experimented with the Kevlar heads, tuned "loosely," simply because of the cost of constantly replacing the Mylar heads. But, in the end, we decided to stick with Mylar. In fact, we will be using solid black Mylar heads. Hope they don't get too warm in parades and meeeelllltttt . . .

And I know about 27th acrylic drums for 1973. You may not remember me, but I came out to march with 27th Lancers in the fall of 1972. Stayed until around December but got homesick for my Cavaliers and came back to Chicago. I loved those few months practicing with Timmy, Fat Ralph, and the tall snare captain (forgot his name). I lived in an apartment with Dean (drill instructor) and the former drum major (forgot his name too). They let me crash on the floor of a large closet with a sleeping bag. Fun times . . .

Was the drum major Roger Rousell?

He's talking about the 27th Lancers DM.

Was it Duffy Silk??

Roger was the drum major for the Cavaliers in 70 - 72. I was trying to remember the name of the former drum major of 27th. He was helping with horns or drill that year (1973). The new drum major for 27 was a tenor drummer who later stepped down from his drum major position to return to tenor drummer after a few years.

And I just remembered the snare captain's name - Gary!!

I also remember getting to know two guys who marched during the 72 season for 27th. They were both former VK members who came out to march an "extra" year with 27 after aging out of VK. They had not told 27 that they were over age (and things weren't quite as "strict" back then either). They were nice guys. I think one was in the double tenor line.

He's talking about the 27th Lancers DM.

Was it Duffy Silk??

Yep, I believe that's who it was. How the he l l did you know that? Get a life!! :P

ClassicsTDR.jpg

This is a picture of a vintage 70s Slingerland TDR that we recently recovered to look just like the 60s Roger's Dynasonic snares we used in the Cavaliers back in the day. We have ten of them now and use them in our new alumni ensemble, the Classic Cavaliers. Getting ready to recover the bass drums now.

Brings back some great memories for us. Thought some of you might enjoy it too!

OMG!!! That is AWESOME!!! Awesome I tell you... :wub::wub::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Looks great, Paul... just great! ^OO^

OMG!!! That is AWESOME!!! Awesome I tell you... :wub::wub::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Looks great, Paul... just great! ^OO^

All credit must go to Matt O'Brien (FMM '81) who is mainly responsible for making these drums "come to life."

He's the "youngster" in our alumni drum line.

All credit must go to Matt O'Brien (FMM '81) who is mainly responsible for making these drums "come to life."

He's the "youngster" in our alumni drum line.

Did Matt teach you guys to play "The Bulgarian" part of the '81 solo yet? B)

Did Matt teach you guys to play "The Bulgarian" part of the '81 solo yet? B)

We haven't allowed him to try to teach us anything yet! He still has about ten solos from the 60s to learn first. :P

Seriously, he is a fine player. He's keeping us all honest each month.

I'm thinkin' they're workin' "Three Camps" right now... b**bs