Brass music scores

futurebuzz

If someone can get contact info, I would be glad to help with this effort.

Chris,

The original poster gave this as his email address:

buzzroll99@hotmail.com

maybe it's a start.. ??

Stef

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A different question on this topic:

If one were to purchase a chart done by a Div I drum corps, how much would something like that go for? (I know it may vary by complexity, etc but a ballpark for say, the conductor's score would be a start.)

Also, if said corps/arranger does sell the chart, are they selling the right to perform it as well? (As I read the 2nd question it seems that selling the chart would imply approval but to be sure...)

Anyone know the answer to this???

If one were to purchase a chart done by a Div I drum corps, how much would something like that go for?

The range would be pretty wide depending on...

1. Your relationship with said arranger

2. How recently the tune was done by their corps

3. Whether you would be performing the chart as is, re-arranging it or just for archive purposes

I am loathe to put prices in writing, but it would range from free to a few hundred and even as high as the low 4 figures, depending.

I've purchased a few Drum Corps Brass Scores over the years. I get them in their original Bugle Score form (from corps like BD, Madison and Phantom) and they usually range from between $100 - $250 each for just the Brass Scores, depending on their length and complexity . . . and also the arranger - some are more humble, while others know they are good and their prices are reflective of that).

If you want the Corps Arrangers to do an original arrangement for you, it can run around $750 on average for just a Brass Score, and if it's a really complex arrangement, the sky's the limit.

Regarding Percussion Arrangements, I read the following post by Don Click regarding his philosophy (I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him . . . my apologies if he does):

I write a lot of fall and winter music, and have a "general" guideline I use:

Pit OR battery only: $175 per minute

BOTH pit and battery: $300 per minute

Show design: Quoted Per

I take into consideration MANY things though....if I have to come up with the concept and basically block the show, I'll charge more. If the band has NO money, but I would still like to write for them, I charge less.

I also use this when determining fees:

Band Director can choose ONLY 2 from the below 3 choices:

1. What I write is GOOD

2. I write it FAST

3. It's CHEAP

So....if they want it GOOD and FAST...it's not going to be cheap!

If they want it FAST and CHEAP...it's not going to be good!

If they want it GOOD and CHEAP...it's not going to be fast!

Don Click

According to another post, Jim Casella (SCV) charges $400 per minute . . . so obviously it varies.

And that's coming from a well established Percussion Instructor / Arranger. I would assume that Brass Arrangers have a similar philosophy.

Hope that helps.