The Return Of DCI's First Champion

I'm excitedly optimistic but reserve a degree of skepticism. Sure would be nice to see the return of one of the classiest corps that ever took the field.

What a great compliment and I can understand your skepticism,...but we have to give it a shot...again, thanks for that comment. It is just that type of hype that is motivating us,...not to mention the chance to bring drum corps back to Orange County

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rocco the sleaziest guy in drum corps? Funny, when I was marching Kingsmen the first year he came over as brass instructor...while he was still in the Marines...I never thought that at all. And even following the career of him and the Kingsmen and my own doings with the activity in those earlier years I would have to report that I have met bigger names in drum corps that I had a lot less respect for.

Whatever you have to say about Richard Oliverio, say this, too: he took an average corps from California, gave it a vision, and built it into a National Champion and I will always be proud to wear my Kingsmen alumni jacket and give respect to Rocco for giving me my best year in Jr. Drum Corps....had I not aged out, I would have come back for more.

RON HOUSLEY

Rocco the sleaziest guy in drum corps?  Funny, when I was marching Kingsmen  the first year he came over as brass instructor...while he was still in the Marines...I never thought that at all. And even following the career of him and the Kingsmen and my own doings with the activity in those earlier years I would have to report that I have met bigger names in drum corps that I had a lot less respect for.

Whatever you have to say about Richard Oliverio, say this, too: he took an average corps from California, gave it a vision, and built it into a National Champion and I will always be proud to wear my Kingsmen alumni jacket and give respect to Rocco for giving me my best year in Jr. Drum Corps....had I not aged out, I would have come back for more.

RON HOUSLEY

I have heard much Rocco bashing and I can only say that he was one of the reasons I joined and stayed in drum corps...I am not saying that there are some folks that have legitimate gripes with the man, but all I can say is that him staying or going will have no affect whatsoever on my support for the organization, in other words, the guy never messed with me.

Believe it!!!

Richard (Rocco) Oliverio is not involved in this at all. :)

His years of bogus bingo are over. If you check xkingsmen.com Rocco lost his non profit status and has had his bingo operation shut down by the city of Stanton.

Many alumni have vowed to never be a part of the Kingsmen as long as he is around.

With Rocco out of the way the alumni will swarm on this like bees on honey. There are dozens of Kingsmen Alumni out there (Ralph and Float to name a few) that will return this corps to greatness.

This is a steam roller that is not going to stop.

As long as Rocco is not involved, then I seethis as being a positive. I dont know if it is true or not, but some of the things I have heard about him make me wonder how DCI put up with him. I am just saying that this is what I have heard... would love to be proven wrong becuase its hard to believe that anyone could be that bad.

I have met him once and he was the nicest man in thw world...

Anyway, would be good to see the Kingsmen back in their rightful place!

Re: Rocco and Kingsmen. I joined The Anaheim Kingsmen in late 1966. Rocco had just come aboard as brass instructor and was still, at the time, in The Marines. It was Rocco who put The Kingsmen on the path to being one of the most remembered drum corps in history. I am not one of the anti-Rocco Alumni, make that perfectly clear. Richard Oliverio is arguably the man who created the discipline that The Kingsmen were famous for and are still talked about for today.

The Kingsmen, had it not been for Rocco, might have stayed just another below-National average corps from California for a much longer time. So say what you will, Richard Oliverio was a major part in delivering in a then very short time a National Champion drum and bugle corps.

He also gave me the best and last year of junior drum corp participation before I aged out. I have thanked him personally for that.

Whatever problems people had with him took place after my time and I cannot speak about them from any personal perspective and will not. I will, however, say in response to him being "...one of the sleaziest...." people in drum corps, as reported above, that I have met worse...and a lot of them more well known than Richard Oliverio and more than one of them are in the Drum Corps Hall Of Fame.

Of course, this is my own opinion and I will not be an apologist for any one connected with the drum and bugle corps/band whatever activity.

RON HOUSLEY

67 Kingsmen Alumni

Edited by ffernbus3

As long as Rocco is not involved, then I seethis as being a positive. I dont know if it is true or not, but some of the things I have heard about him make me wonder how DCI put up with him.  I am just saying that this is what I have heard... would love to be proven wrong becuase its hard to believe that anyone could be that bad.

I have met him once and he was the nicest man in thw world...

Anyway, would be good to see the Kingsmen back in their rightful place!

If you are indeed a managing editor then I am simply appalled by your comment. First you say "as long as Rocco is not involved then I see this as being a positive"...and then you follow with "I don't know if it is true or not" That is just blasphemy as far as I am concerned...I don't know what school of Journalism, if any you attended and where your credentials come from, but from the little Journalism I remember from my college days you are supposed to check and verify your sources before you put them on paper, or in this case, the internet. Iam not trying to offenmd you here, but I am disgusted just the same by what I read. As I stated, I am no Rocco apologist and will support the new Kingsmen regardless, but the statements you made are inflammatory IMO.

If you are indeed a managing editor then I am simply appalled by your comment. First you say "as long as Rocco is not involved then I see this as being a positive"...and then you follow with "I don't know if it is true or not"  That is just blasphemy as far as I am concerned...I don't know what school of Journalism, if any you attended and where your credentials come from, but from the little Journalism I remember from my college days you are supposed to check and verify your sources before you put them on paper, or in this case, the internet. Iam not trying to offenmd you here, but I am disgusted just the same by what I read. As I stated, I am no Rocco apologist and will support the new Kingsmen regardless, but the statements you made are inflammatory IMO.

Difference being, what he posted was personal opinion here on the DCP message boards, which is a separate entity from the DCP News section (seen on the front page of DCP).