Who make's the best hornline instruments?

Chris_Sop_Beatrix

Who make's the best hornline instruments?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Who make's the best hornline instruments?

• Kanstul
    • Dynasty
    • Yamaha
    • King

Who make's the best hornline instruments? I think it is King. It are instruments with a big quality and a wonderful, full, deep and rich sound. And a good projection. And that are important things for marching instruments.

gr. Chris

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G Bugles - Kanstul no question, even if they were twice the price.

If you are talking band instruments, then having just one company make the line is not your best option.

In terms of physics, the theory of supporting the overall sound with overtones breaks down when you have different key instruments. So buying a "matched line" is not as important as the marketing departments of these companies want you to believe.

My take on the best trumpet (which I used this in this past fall in the Pride of West Virginia):

Schilke X-4, 0.468 bore with an XL Beryllium bell, at only $2715.00 a steal.

Otherwise the $89 Indian made trumpet I got on ebay played no better for me than any of the other trumpets I have played from the companies in your poll. The Ebay trumpet is just fine for the outdoors and is more economical with the way instrumets survive these days.

Randy

G Bugles - Kanstul no question, even if they were twice the price.

If you are talking band instruments, then having just one company make the line is not your best option.

In terms of physics, the theory of supporting the overall sound with overtones breaks down when you have different key instruments.  So buying a "matched line" is not as important as the marketing departments of these companies want you to believe.

My take on the best trumpet (which I used this in this past fall in the Pride of West Virginia):

Schilke X-4, 0.468 bore with an XL Beryllium bell, at only $2715.00 a steal.

Otherwise the $89 Indian made trumpet I got on ebay played no better for me than any of the other trumpets I have played from the companies in your poll.  The Ebay trumpet is just fine for the outdoors and is more economical with the way instrumets survive these days.

Randy

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your statement above. Why would placing the mellophone section in F in a line of Bb's, as opposed to having a line of all G instruments, "break down" the physics/acoustic properties of overtones?

And why would having a matched set of instruments, before a good idea in G, not be a good one in Bb/F? Are you applying this to entire sections (mellos, baris) or individual instruments within a section?

Edited by Jeff

It seems that matched horns within a given voice would be far more important then matching the entire line. ie. same mellos, trumpets, ect. Of course corps will purchase the package deals that manufactures come up with due to financial considerations. But it would be cool to see someone use something like an all Calicchio trumpet line mixed with Dynasty baris ect. You could even do something like add a cornet voice for more of British Brass Band sound.

Each of the manufactures seems to have some voices that are better then others. For example Yamaha has some great trumpets and mellos, but the Baris have weak valve guides and the Euphonium voice is MIA. That being said the King Ulitimate and Dynasty Extreme Lines seem to be the way to go. They have the newest designs based on drum corps performance needs and both seem well made and durable. Kanstul makes some great horns and seems to be updating them gradually as well.

So Marc, are you going to donate twenty or so Calicchios for the alumni? Josh would be thrilled.

As you look to the bugles in G. Then is absolutly Kanstul the best. Dynasty has(to my opinion) a too hard sharp sound. On a Kanstul you can better play high with the same full sound. And on a Dynasty as you play over a C3 it is like girls screaming. Some people thougt thats cool. But i find it not so beautiful.

Gr. Chris

• 2 weeks later...
As you look to the bugles in G. Then is absolutly Kanstul the best. Dynasty has(to my opinion) a too hard sharp sound. On a Kanstul you can better play high with the same full sound. And on a Dynasty as you play over a C3 it is like girls screaming. Some people thougt thats cool. But i find it not so beautiful.

Gr. Chris

Dynasty trumpets sounding like screaming girls?

I beg to differ. Listen to the BD trumpet section. Do they sound like screaming girls to you? Oh, btw, they play on Dynasty horns. And win brass 2 out of every 3 years.

Unless you are playing on an absolutely decrepid piece of garbage for an instrument, it really comes down to the player to make the horn speak properly.

Its all about the man behind the gun.

Edited by ZSDAvenger

Dynasty trumpets sounding like screaming girls?

I beg to differ. Listen to the BD trumpet section. Do they sound like screaming girls to you? Oh, btw, they play on Dynasty horns. And win brass 2 out of every 3 years.

Unless you are playing on an absolutely decrepid piece of garbage for an instrument, it really comes down to the player to make the horn speak properly.

Its all about the man behind the gun.

Those probably aren't your average off-the-shelf dynasty horns that BD is playing. I bet they were hand picked and later tweaked.

Does anyone remember when BD played kanstul? probably not because in those days it wasnt about the marketing of a corps or a sponsorship. But BD played Kanstul bugles for like 15 years and won a lot more high brass titles.

it's also about how good the gun is, before you fire it.

Shilke (sp) makes the ebst trumpets (bach a close second)

Dynasty/King the best mellos

Yamaha everything else.

~>conner