Lacquer finishes.

Sweendoc

Portraying a Civil War bugler, I have purchased a Amati bugle for reenactments. It is a nice brightly lacquered horn. I want to strip the lacquer off the horn to make it look old. What is the best method? Someone has suggested paint stripper, but I am not sure this would work. I really want to do this myself, and not spend the money to have this done at my local music shop. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

removing lacquer from brass

sounds reasonable to use paint thinner, not lacquer thinner. But you have to be sure that you have brass and not brass plating under the lacquer.

I would have just watched ebay for an aged horn, but that's just me.

How's things up in the mountains?

Edited by lipsprain

Lipsprain, you forget, I'm a professional educator and make thousands of dollars and I can afford a NEW horn!!!!!!!!!!

NOT......

Actually, civil war bugles are hard to find (even on Ebay), and very expensive. I did not want a cheap repro, and the Amati is the closest reproduction to the Clarion style used by my unit.

Hey, had 6 inches of snow on Sunday was all melted by Monday eve!

Thanks, Gregg

John, thanks for the link. I'll try paint remover. By the way, are you ever coming up this way, we've got to get together for old-times sake. I know you are now with Corpsvets, (awesome!) but next trip to PA, you've got to call me. Do you have rehearsal this Saturday? If not, why not drive up and come to our show? Hey, bring you horn and you can jump in line. Really though, Terri and I would like to see you guys soon. Take care, Gregg.

Portraying a Civil War bugler, I have purchased a Amati bugle for reenactments.  It is a nice brightly lacquered horn.  I want to strip the lacquer off the horn to make it look old.  What is the best method?  Someone has suggested paint stripper, but I am not sure this would work.  I really want to do this myself, and not spend the money to have this done at my local music shop.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

.........Just a thought.........Printed on most silver polish containers ....."Not recomended for use on lacquer finishes". Could this be a clue?

See yinz' Saturday B)

I think the silver polish would just dull the finish but not take it off.

I was just talking with Marce about our next trip north to visit friends and family, Gregg - I would have loved to come up this weekend and sit in, but I do have camp and I missed the last one for work. Was planning on coming up to golf in a tournament with my BIL next weekend, but now I have to pass on that one too.

You and Terri are definitely on our 'A' list for the next long weekend getaway to sunny PA!

Best to all the old gang! FFFF until their ears bleed!

BTW - if you really want an authentic looking bugle, to a websearch on patina + brass. Nasty concoctions to age a horn on those sites.....

Edited by lipsprain

I actually did use silver polish on a lacquer horn. It took off most of the lacquer but not all of it.

I'll post pics of my horn latter tonight....

But here is the way to do it....

Go buy a big plastic tub, the type you store stuff in. Make sure it is large enough for your horn.

Next get some baking soda and a few LARGE pots of watter. Add the baking soda and boil.

Place trumpet in the tub and add the watter/baking soda. Let set for a short time then with gloves on, simply remove the lacquer with your hands. It will peel right off.

This is what I did and it took no time at all.

I'll post pics later tonight.