The DCI Yearlys: 1984

My memory isn't the best either but I believe it was '84 because one of the reasons given for doing it was that the horn line had done it "last time" in '83. I believe in 1985 we had learned our lesson or perhaps the staff were keeping a sharper eye on us.

:P

Wasn't 84 also the infamous Tater Tot incident?

"Who ate my tater tots?"

and remember in Montreal we were staying the word "piscine" was everywhere when we walked in the door.

I remember at the show some members of the corps had made arrangements to meet some girls the next day (a free day in the city). And when the girls asked them where they were staying, the guys thought the name of the school was "piscine". I still remember hearing the girls laughing at them.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam K....the "wall" incident was in 85 when you were a vet :P I was part of the contingent that went to SCV's guard, then got a short lecture from Gayle Royer. The funniest moment was Roger Davis telling Mike M...."Mike...it's not our fault, we're victims of tradition".

The Sam Sig thing I believe was in Ogden. I'll have to crank out some more memories of those years ( I haven't finished 84 yet).

Oh MAN...1984. The bitter sweet year for me.

But first--before I add my worthless thoughts to this thread, kudos to Sam and Rob Brown for your stories. I absolutely burst out laughing reading your description Rob of you standing in front of the BD hornline backstage at Dismalland! I know EXACTLY where that was as I was performing there with either my high school band or the Tournament of Roses Honor Band during the same time period on numerous occasions. And knowing Disney folks like I do, I could imagine the amount of BEDLAM you caused inside the park. Those Disney folks--they can get pretty "particular" about things. Great story Rob!! Also--thanks for insight on Collins. I'll use it against him the next time I see him!! And Sam...great story on Fever! GOOD JOB ON THAT DRUM MAJOR!!

1984 was bittersweet for me. I joined VK on DAY ONE, at Anaheim HS, where we were rehearsing. We had 85 horn players, I was playing contra (as I had switched to tuba while in high school and ended up being a better tuba player than a trombone player!), and I was PUMPED. Then, Olympic Band came around, and I was REALLY getting pressure from friends to try out. I decided VK was more important, and I was IN LIKE FLYNN! I loved VK. I loved playing contra. I loved our contra tech--the unmatchable Billy Park. I loved the music.

But I also loved this girl back at home. This same girl that started to whine, ohhhhh, in about February that she was going to be awful lonely this summer without me. DOH!!!!!!!! Young, 18, and in love. BAD COMBO!! At about the same time, I had started a "career" believe it or not with Jack In The Box fast food restaurants. I progressed very quickly in the job, and they started sending me to management training in May. As a matter of fact, I had an area manager and a district manager tell me that I had a great future in the organization, and wanted me to start taking things "more seriously" and advised against me marching in that "silly band". DOH!!!!!!!!!! Young, ambitious, and being complimented by suits! BAD COMBO!!!

So....at the Memorial Day camp (HOLY CRAP--that's 19 years ago TODAY!!!) at Cal Poly Pomona, I did the unthinkable.

I quit VK!!! And boy did I pay.

First, management training at Jack in the Box fell through. So I was just a lowly worker guy for the rest of that summer.

Second, my "love" decided to go to Hawaii for 3 weeks with her family, and then to New York for 2 more. DOH!!!!!!!! I got to house sit for them for 5 weeks. But uhhhhh....HELLO!!! I thought you loved me. Women....

Third, Olympic Band auditions had already happened and things were well under way. My friends from Pasadena were having the time of their lives. So I missed out on THAT opportunity as well.

And fourth, one of the French horn players that I had PERSONALLY RECRUITED to march VK came to my school one day before I graduated, and beat me up for quitting. Not figuratively. Literally. Those were back in the days when things were handled like men. Today if he tried that, I would have SUED his ###!! :-)

So...that's 1984 for me. A failed year. Literally. But little did I know what was in store for me in this wacky world of drum corps...

Sam K....the "wall" incident was in 85 when you were a vet  :P  I was part of the contingent that went to SCV's guard, then got a short lecture from Gayle Royer.  The funniest moment was Roger Davis telling Mike M...."Mike...it's not our fault, we're victims of tradition".

The Sam Sig thing I believe was in Ogden.  I'll have to crank out some more memories of those years ( I haven't finished 84 yet).

:angry: Well so much for my memory. I guess I'm a victim of old age. Did we do "it" in '84 as well? This did happen in Denver right? Ah well, I'll just go and have a nap...

Jerry, "piscine" just means "pool" as in swimming pool. Even an English-Canadian knows that. ("Allez-vous a la piscine? Oui, je vais au piscine.") Hmm, maybe some of the Quebec contingent were having some fun with mis-translation for Americans.

As for the "tater tot" thing, after extensive research I have figured out that it was in 1985 so I will post my memory of it in the 1985 yearly thread.

Edited by ambassadorhorn

The Sam Sig thing I believe was in Ogden.  I'll have to crank out some more memories of those years ( I haven't finished 84 yet).

*ducks and covers in advance....looking back, NOT exactly a moment that covered me in glory...*

Here's another memory....running block in Montreal...breathing in for 8 counts...hissing out for 7, yelling "S###!" on count 8....but in Montreal, someone would yell "le" on count 7. You get the idea.

So, by admission, you insulted the French Canadians?

"The Wall" incident was 1984 in Denver I believe. (Sam, you don't remember this? ) There _was_ a complaint and all the horn line section leads had to go to apologize to SCV's gaurd. Completely appropriate in my view, even at the time. I wish I hadn't gone along with that whole thing although it wasn't really meant to target SCV's gaurd. They just happened to be there to witness our stupidity. I guess opting out would have been worse than going along with it. As a rookie, I was hoping for better leadership from the horn line vets"

"I remember in '84 at a CA show the horn line getting reprimanded after retreat for pulling a stunt during an olympic style retreat: we extended our interval to a pretty ridiculous distance (2-3 yards). We were the 'longest' corps at retreat but it was pretty obvious what we were doing. "

And I thought you guys NEVER did such things... at least that's what SOMEONE on the forum swears. :angry:

Edited by apoch003

So, by admission, you insulted the French Canadians? 

No....not really. Yelling "S###!" on the last count was a way to ensure we got all the air out...and was a normal part of our running block from day 1. The "le" in the block in Montreal was only loud enough to be heard within the block...and I don't remember the Canadien members getting upset.

"The Wall" incident was 1984 in Denver I believe. (Sam, you don't remember this?  ) There _was_ a complaint and all the horn line section leads had to go to apologize to SCV's gaurd. Completely appropriate in my view, even at the time. I wish I hadn't gone along with that whole thing although it wasn't really meant to target SCV's gaurd. They just happened to be there to witness our stupidity. I guess opting out would have been worse than going along with it. As a rookie, I was hoping for better leadership from the horn line vets"

Read this section again...the Wall invident in 85 was NOT AIMED at SCVs guard. The Wall usually happened out of sight of everyone else...that's what I remember from 84. THIS time, SCV's guard happened to be in the ares, unknown to the BD line.

Given the very high rate of BD and SCV swapping members over the years (inluding staff), and the VERY tight relationship between the two, if you think for a moment that BD would purposefully expose themselves to SCV in such a disrespectful fashion, you don't know that much about BD in the 80s.

"I remember in '84 at a CA show the horn line getting reprimanded after retreat for pulling a stunt during an olympic style retreat: we extended our interval to a pretty ridiculous distance (2-3 yards). We were the 'longest' corps at retreat but it was pretty obvious what we were doing. "

And I thought you guys NEVER did such things...  at least that's what SOMEONE on the forum swears.   :angry:

I would hardly consider stretching the line (something other corps did as well....BD was just better at it) remotely compares to something like beating up a spectator who got in your way (wasn't that in the 90s at a show? I've forgotton the particulars....it was NOT a top 12 corps, however). At worst it irritated the show organizers...what it REALLY felt like was a display of how bad-###ed we were....and it was something other corps generally appreciated ('cause they wish they had the cojones to pull it off!)

Don't be so over-sensitive.

Edited by 84BDsop

WHAT????  Someone beat up a spectator???  Do you have the story on that?

I'm trying to remember teh specifics...I remember that it got a loty of play on DCWorld...unfortunately, I don't rememebr enough of it...the spectator may have been staff on another corps, now that I think about it....Anyone??

:angry:  Well so much for my memory. I guess I'm a victim of old age. Did we do "it" in '84 as well? This did happen in Denver right? Ah well, I'll just go and have a nap...

Jerry, "piscine" just means "pool" as in swimming pool. Even an English-Canadian knows that. ("Allez-vous a la piscine? Oui, je vais au piscine.") Hmm, maybe some of the Quebec contingent were having some fun with mis-translation for Americans.

As for the "tater tot" thing, after extensive research I have figured out that it was in 1985 so I will post my memory of it in the 1985 yearly thread.

Sam, it wasn't so much a mis-translation, rather they didn't know that piscine meant swimming pool in French.

As I took it they kept telling the girls they were staying at the swimming pool.

Tater tot was 85? 84 and 85 were pretty close tour wise that it's hard to keep straight which year events happened.

But the wall was Denver. Because a few minutes after "the act". I got an earful from some SCV guard members I had marched with in 83.

ce le vie.

Edited by jbl