August 16, 1977

... Finals was held on a Friday night that year, (Aug 19) so the eastern corps could get home quicker...

Actually, finals was held on Friday because the American Legion had already booked Mile High Stadium for their Saturday National Convention Nationals drum corps contest.

As for the Elvis thing, I was on a Cavaliers bus after a lunch stop when someone got on and announced that Elvis had died. I was surprised it became such a big deal, but then, I never followed Elvis and at the time wouldn't have bet the mortgage that he wasn't already dead...Until the fellow marcher mentioned his death, I hadn't thought of him in many years.

Mike

Edited by Michael Boo

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the summer of "Star Wars," I was 15, and I was a huge fan. I was in the theater probably once a week watching the movie.

I hadn't even heard of drum corps then. Elvis meant nothing to me; I was just starting to get into progressive rock. (Jeez, could I be a bigger geek?)

It wasn't until many years later that I grew to appreciate Elvis and his music; the early stuff is fantastic, and his last hit, "Suspicious Minds," is still one of my all-time favorite songs. (I especially like the remake by the Fine Young Cannibals.)

My best friend's mom was a big Elvis fan, and I know it hit her hard, especially since Elvis played his last concert in Indianapolis (where I grew up).

On the bus when the driver made the announcement. I can"t remember if we were on the way to prelims or had already died. OBTW we rocked at AL pre-lims the best show I ever had .....

Elvis Costello died???

Well, that Burt Bacharach collaboration album was a KIND of death.... :P

I was in Colorado preparing for DCI Prelims.

Yup. Same here. We were practicing and as we came off the field for a break we were told by one of the staff members.

We were in Denver, Spirit's first year. Being a Southern Corps, the news was a little surreal, whether you were an Elvis fan or not.

The main thing I remember thinking was how totally out of touch we were with the outside world. No TV, no newspapers (no cellphones, no wireless internet). It really brought that aspect of tour home.

I was in Army Boot Camp, About to enter the Navy/Army School of Music, we knew nothing going on in the outside world but they told us at morning formation, I had never seen so many grown men cry. I wasnt that big of a fan and did not cry, but admired his music talent and singing ability.

• 4 weeks later...
.....and I'm sure sometime close to that we sang our doctored-up version of BS&Ts "And When I Die" to the consternation and chagrin of the rest of the bus, didn't we??????? :rock:

It was pure genius! We should have pursued our true talent as lyricists! Thank's for making my day uncle z...It was good seeing you at DOP.

I was not yet formed in 1977, however my parents were living in Belgium at the time. They were lying in bed early in the morning when the alarm went off...on the radio at the time was one of Elvis' songs. My mom said to my dad, "You know, he's really gone downhill the past few years." Right as the song ended the guy on the radio announced that Elvis had died.

Strange how famous people die every few days but only a certain few will be so shocking you'll always remember what you were doing.

Two that come to mind for me are Dale Earnhardt and Princess Diana.