My First Experience With The Early Years

I don't actually remember "fingering (thumbing?) markings" unless there was an alternate fingering that sounded better in tune or something......Kingsmen could read quite well in 67, that I do know.

I was quite shocked when I went back East on my way to Germany(courtesty of Unca Sammy's Travel Service) and attended a Hawthorne Cabs rehearsal with Don Angelica and saw those  "+ and 0" markings on the contras music.   

I thought, "Wow!  These Hawthorne guys make some pretty good music....and they can't even read!" 

RON HOUSLEY

Some could even read MUSIC :o

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Elvord taught the Cavaliers hornline in 77.  The arrangements were done by Cliff Colnot.  As I recall, we tied BD in brass execution.

Cliff was a bassoonist, which may account for the obscurity you mentioned.

77 was the first year for 2-valve horns, but only the sopranos had them, I believe.

Holy Crap! Is this the famous Vince Ferrera? How's it going?

I also verify that Jim did teach us in 77 and still feel he is one of the best teachers to grace our activity. And yes, we tied BD in brass execution in 77. Too bad outr drums and GE sucked. This is one of those years you just want to buy the download from Season Pass. Don't buy the Legacy DVD of us. Our drill was one of the worst ever designed.

And yep, 77 was the first year The Cavaliers used two valved sops. I think the baritones and middle horns were changed the next year. Conta’s last. Back in the day when corps owned horns.

Edited by dc oldtimer

Jim Elvord taught the Cavaliers hornline in 77.  The arrangements were done by Cliff Colnot.  As I recall, we tied BD in brass execution.

Cliff was a bassoonist, which may account for the obscurity you mentioned.

77 was the first year for 2-valve horns, but only the sopranos had them, I believe.

Cliff was also band director at Miami Carol City High - my alma mater (OK, 10 years before he got there) and started out his DC career writing for the Miami Vanguards (OK, I'd aged out 3 years before).

• 6 months later...

For the sake of wanting to experience the sound of really, really, REALLY, old drum corps.......

Does anyone have any audio recordings of corps in the pre-WWII era? Prior to any valve at all!

Ya know...the straight G bugle? And real skin drumheads... :laugh:

For the sake of wanting to experience the sound of really, really, REALLY, old drum corps.......

Does anyone have any audio recordings of corps in the pre-WWII era? Prior to any valve at all!

Wow, that is definately a tall order....my Dad marched pre WWII and he said it didn't have of the nuance that we had in 73....with P&R....there were "B" corps in my area that while they had plastic heads still had the relatively thin shelled drums from the day and they had a huge booming sound, especially the tenor(single) lines. As far as the horn lines go, I'm not even sure their were "voices" per say as we understand them today. They did have bells and baton twirlers though. And "Sr." corps was just an excuse to get really drunk and play drum corps.....hmmmmmm. B)

Does that stuff show up on Diceman radio ever???

Horn players, help an old drummer out here........what year is the St Andrew's Bridgemen triple tongueing???

'73??? B)

'74 Madison is pretty good, too!!! :P

Horn players, help an old drummer out here........what year is the St Andrew's Bridgemen triple tongueing???

'73??? B)

'74 Madison is pretty good, too!!! :P

I know for a fact about 72....I wore a grove in the recording I had....

Ya know...the straight G bugle? And real skin drumheads... :huh:

I've been looking too but the earliest I've seen listed are a few from very late 1940s.

Might as well check with Diceman (aka Ron), he probably has more sources than I do.

PS - Valves started showing up around late 1930s. Sometime later the American Legion and VFW actually allowed them to be used. :laugh:

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

'65 Royal Airs (UNREAL-considering the equipment)

:ph34r:

ABSLO-F***ING-LUTELY!!

When I first heard that show, I nearly wet my pants..The sound, the quality of the arrangements and the overall presentation was UNREAL!

I told friends of mine who were in the development of the RA Reunion Corps to just play THAT music when they came back out...That show would have sold for decades, even after all of the equipment changes and drill changes.

I will also concur with the Rochester Crusaders and Hawthorne Cabs from 72..I just bought the CD from Drum Corps World from the Exhibition show in Racine right before Legion Nat'ls in Chicago( MBI was there too). Both Rochester and Hawthorne blew the stands at Horlick away.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Pat