Dear Freelancer Alum!

Or.... when our contra players had red converse high tops sticking out from under their bells at retreat.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi byline,

I would never try to hide the fact that there is another side to the story. There is. The truth of the matter is that THE WAY I left Freelancers for Blue Devils was wrong! I left on the very last day to change corps (February 28th 1993) and after the Freelancer staff wrote a BILL CHASE SHOW CENTERED COMPLETELY AROUND ME. I WAS A JERK FOR DOING WHAT I DID.

Therefore, my purpose in this response is not to defend what I did at all. My point is, [/b]I already apologized YEARS ago and 13 years have passed- so people need to get over it. It's was 13 years ago and we are all in our 30s and 40s now and should be over it already.[/b]

My other reason for this response was, I didn't appreciate John R defaming my character publically the way he did.

The reasons you left are your own and people should respect your decision. On the other hand I can see how your fellow Freelancers would feel betrayed. Sometimes time doesn’t heal all wounds. On a personal note I would give my left nut to play a show centered on the music of Bill Chase. I’d give both of them if I could be the featured soloist!

Welcome to DCP!

Paul

Hi Paul,

You wrote-

The reasons you left are your own and people should respect your decision. On the other hand I can see how your fellow Freelancers would feel betrayed. Sometimes time doesn’t heal all wounds.

Well, 12-13 years and how many apologies to how many people? Really, it should be over by now. Seriously, at some point life needs to go on.

On a personal note I would give my left nut to play a show centered on the music of Bill Chase. I’d give both of them if I could be the featured soloist!

Well, that should stand as testimony that what I do is not all about me being the big dog. Honestly, I took a huge risk from a "spotlight" standpoint making the change on the last day of February. I drove down to Concord knowing well that I just might be a section player at least for the first year considering that more than likely the soloists were probably picked. The only thing I knew for sure was that there were two spots open.

BUT...as it turned out, by that very weekend, there wer actually 3 spots open and low and behold one of them was a soloist spot. Oddly enough, one of the two planned Soprano soloists for that year (Chris Barnes) left BD the very same weekend I left Freelancers so I smoothed my way into it. But make no mistake about it, I did not go for that reason nor did I think there was a chance I would be soloist (just to put a damper on anyone thinking my reasons for doing corps were stricktly for limelight).

So yes, I passed up a Bill Chase show (which would have been awsome). But what did I get in return? A Don Ellis Show (another show based on a great hero of the trumpet) and a spot as one of the two main soloists. And to top it off, I only marched 12 sets of drill in that entire show (if you exclude sub sets)- AND I was out of the drill for the entire closer ("Strawberry Soup"). That's what I call a dream. Oh man, was I ever loving it whenever it was "Strawberry Soup day" at rehearsal. An entire day out of the marching block. Quite nice. Quite spoiled.

Edited by torn8o

I’d forgotten that 93 was the same year BD did Don Ellis. What a great show! I think it’s time for the world to know it was all my idea! I was talking to Wayne in 92 and asked him if BD had ever done Don Ellis. I had been away from DC for most of the late 70’s and all of the 80’s. When Wayne told me they had never done Don Ellis I told him he was crazy and would be a perfect fit for BD. Sure enough the next year BD was playing Don Ellis! I told Wayne he owed me dinner for the idea. Never got it though…anyway both shows were great and as far as I can remember the young man who took your place with Sac did a great job with the Chase stuff!

Here’s an off subject question. Has any corps done a show featuring the music of MF, Doc, Clark Terry or Dizzy?

…anyway both shows were great and as far as I can remember the young man who took your place with Sac did a great job with the Chase stuff!

YES HE DID! Brian Hodgkins is his name and he tore it up and even MORE so with the 94 "Matrix" show. Brian's a good guy and a great player. Brian if you are out there reading any of this, come in and say hi, it's been a long time since I've talked to you.

Here’s an off subject question. Has any corps done a show featuring the music of MF, Doc, Clark Terry or Dizzy?

"MF" has been done by many (though not one full feature show). To my knowledge there has never been a Doc show. Clark Terry, man kids these days NEED to know that name. DIZZY???, oddly enough, in 1993 the Bluecoats did a show based on him with a killer hornline to back it up. LOL- never thought of it before but I guess 93 was the year to pay tribute to great trumpet heros. Even Madison did "Strawberry Soup".

OK Here's an idea for Wayne. BD does Be Bop featuring the music of Clark Terry and the Dizz!

Unfortunatly, it probably will not happen. "The Music of" shows seemed to have died off. Everything is thematic now and lately a huge push toward original works. Personally, I miss "the music of" shows. But I myself would have to also admit I would not write a show like that for one of my BOA programs because it would get cross eyed looks from the G.E. judges. And of course, all the more that fact in Drum Corps. Oh well.

Oh, how's this for memory? In the heat of the 1989 Freelancers vs VK battle, we developed a tradition of our Drum Major taking his axe that he traditionally carried with him and CHOPPED a banana on the field every time we beat VK (note: VK had human bananas in the show- big surprise huh?). So after a few shows and VK catching on to what we were doing and why, VK beats us at one particular show and the drum major pulls out this E.T. doll (note our opener was the soundtrack from E.T.) and starts beating it senselessly with this tiny little itty bitty stick. OH MY GOSH!!!! Even WE lost it as we were standing out on the field during retreat (which didn't happen very oftern) it was so funny.

...wow, man, this stuff is hilarious! Although I'm a charter member VK and was on staff in one capacity or another for a *large* number of years, '89 was not one of them. Your story of your *leaving* experience juxtaposed with this remembrance is the true grit of what drum corps really IS. I've ALWAYS dug and respected the Freelancers (in fact I *really* enjoyed greeting Charlie Anderson as "...Charles." and he in return, "Charles," whenever we got together at a show...'cause whoever was on top at the moment had that extra *zing* to his greeting...LOL!) and, you know, most VKs feel the same way. You guys cracking up at the doll whipping just gives you toughies away, Scott!