Blue Devils question

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the 1982 full DCI finals with Steve Rondinaro and...Rob McConnel as hosts and on the tape Steve asked him about the chart since he wrote it and BD played it and he said ON THE TAPE that it was a pun for...yes Ted O Reilly and Toronto. I got the video to prove it. Just watched it today in fact because this discussion gave me the itch.

If I can recall correctly, I too have the video and mr "wont shut up" McConnell says "Some PEOPLE consider it a play on Toronto", but that doesnt mean he does....he said he was flattered they (BD) were using it but never officialy commisioned it as a play on Toronto.

~G~

Too cool.  How late in the (84) season was it added?  People must have flipped when you first brought in out that year!

Through first tour (remember THAT??) we reprised the last few bars of the opener, "Bachhinalia"....very Garfield 83-ish (it went..."Santos" to start the reentry....form the big "M", then the company front....a short push, then the last bars of the opener).

Wayne experimented with a Hy Drytzer in-yer-face power chord sequence to close the show at one point, but that may have been before we even started the performance season.

The NYF tag went in after we got home for 1st tour...I remember someone saying "THIS is what i came here to play"

1st show we used it was the 1st show on 2nd tour...Modesto (also the only time we had a DM only retreat).

And you're right...when we hit the first notes of it, the crowd basically went ape ####!

1st show we used it was the 1st show on 2nd tour...Modesto (also the only time we had a DM only retreat).

Geoff Lynch and I were on the field at retreat that night standing next to the DM's since we did individuals prior to the show.

I remember standing on the field when scores were announced and watching the BD members reaction. Pretty cool. I didn't have to salute...thankfully. I would've stuck my thumb in my eye.

How late in the (84) season was it added?  People must have flipped when you first brought in out that year!

The debut of that "new" ending happened the night the corps decided to show what its performance capabilities were. Essentially, we ripped the place apart with a performance that doesn't always happen.....one of those special nights in a corps season.

We debuted it in Modesto in 1984.

The Modesto performance that year was a hint of what was to come with respect to our ability to generate excitement through our performance. I don't think we recaptured it fully until after DCI Midwest. After that, we reached the point that whenever we did our show, it was an over the top performance. Something I was cognizant of at the time after experiencing the same thing in 82 and knew that something special was happening.

It was an incredible experience.

Something I hope anybody that was in drum corps gets to experience. Fun times!

If I can recall correctly, I too have the video and mr "wont shut up" McConnell says "Some PEOPLE consider it a play on Toronto", but that doesnt mean he does....he said he was flattered they (BD) were using it but never officialy commisioned it as a play on Toronto.

Unfortunately, neither he nor Rondo shut up during the entire telecast. I guess it was somebody's goofy idea to try to make the telecast sound like a sports voice-over commentary . . . but the problem is, during sports, they're not playing music the audience actually wants to listen to! Glad that only lasted one year, wish they hadn't done it at all . . . but that's one of the things that makes the 1982 "Legacy" DVD priceless. No voice-overs!

Anyway, I've got the telecast tape, and McConnell says: "T.O. is kind of a nickname for Toronto, but it was written for a jazz radio personality in Toronto whose name is Ted O'Reilly. T.O. are his initials and also Toronto's, so it's kind of a double-pun."

Hope that clears it up. Also, earlier in the telecast, Rondo notes that McConnell composed "T.O." and says it's a gas to hear 60-some horns playing it. McConnell thanks Steve and says he's delighted.

I'll never tell......

and the ever popular..."Watch out for that tree".....

Heh....One More Time..

'Course, there was the one I came up with after we did the bow at the end of teh show when Bachhinalia was used to close..."Thank you for watching our drum corps...and have a safe trip hooooome!"