Live From Citrus Canker Bowl

First off I will be posting pictures later....

Live from Citrus Canker Bowl- DCI Orlando

It was a nice night for drum corps, although it was somewhat humid. But Thank God there was no tropical depression to mess up the night, it went out to sea! It didn’t even rain for once! However, that stadium was pretty raunchy smelling. It smelled like the hurricanes from last year or something. The overlap had water dripping from it and the seats were in awful condition. You could’ve gotten dirty, that’s for sure. No wonder no one will build them a new stadium they won’t take care of the one they got.

Anyway, that’s what you get for living in a swamp I guess…. :huh:

First up, TEAL SOUND- What a nice sound from this growing corps! I was so impressed with their ability to project. I also love the new direction they are taking this corps. They have a bigger corps this year and the talent is bigger as well. The horn line had some intonation problems throughout which I hope will be taken care of by the staff. But the horn line was strong, the drum line was strong, and the color guard was strong. I was impressed with the drill as well. Nice job Teal Sound! :huh:

Kiwannis Kavaliers-First off I was rather shocked at their small size. They are struggling this summer. I hope they can pick up some folks along the way to fill the corps. Their show “Mission Accomplished” will be fun once it gets cleaned up. They need help, I don’t know if they don’t have enough staff or what the deal is but I wish them well. I don’t know how to describe the show, the color guard had some odd looking silks to me personally but I get what they were trying to “accomplish".

The Magic-I LOVE the silver sash. Nice improvement over last year. I’m glad that they have a full corps but why don’t they utilize all the players? I was expecting a much bigger sound from them. The show musically didn’t do much for me, it just sounded pretty basic. There was really nothing musically challenging about this show. It sounded pretty much like a High school band playing half notes and whole notes and making loud impacts. They can march this year that’s for sure. They seem to be more focused on marching then playing. The color guard looked confused at times. I think they’re still learning or there are some latecomers joining. They had a nice moment in their drill where they formed an “M”. It was cute, the crowd dug it. Even the drill sputtered out at the end. I don’t know if they’re still learning it but there is no “grand finale” of any kind. Oh and the Ludwigs sound like they are playing on cardboard boxes, not much projection, not like Yamaha’s. People wonder why there is not much talk about “THE MAGIC” well there is not much to talk about.

Spirit from JSU- Hmm…let me see…I was excited about this show, but came away sort of empty. I didn’t really like the guard uniforms or the silks. I hated the Broadway props…I just don’t like those big props on the field. The drill was great. I enjoyed watching the drill. I was listening for “Not while I’m around” and my husband told me they briefly played it backfield. I guess I didn’t catch it from that arrangement of Hodge podge. I enjoyed the “Luck be a Lady tonight” arrangement. I don’t know about the arrangements, they just didn’t seem to do much for me. I may have to see this show again before forming an opinion one way or another. It’s not that I didn’t like it, I did but the arrangements didn’t sit right with me. The drill was hot.

Glassmen-Believe the hype! It is for real! I was so blown away by this corps at every level. The color guard uniforms struck me at first but I see how it works for this show. The different way they played “New World” was Hot, hot hot! The color guard was clean. This has to be one of my favorites of the night. I found myself standing up after the show. The drills nicely executed and just wait till you see this…as someone said, “This ain’t your Daddy’s New World” but man…I LOVED IT. Nice job Glassmen. :rock::rock::huh:

Then there was an intermission; apparently Carolina Crown got stuck in traffic. A bad accident, which is par for the course in this crazy city where people don’t know how to drive. It wasn’t too long and I was glad to see the kids made it safe. The show started back up at “8:59”…ha why not call it 9:00.

Carolina Crown-Chill bump corps of the night award! That horn line started off and just wowed me the rest of the show. I was so blown away by that incredible mellophone line and the low brass wow. I loved the drill and the color guard was GREAT. I can’t wait to see this cleaned up more later on in the year. I loved the “Arms of the Angel”. :angel: You can tell they love it too. There was so much emotion from them during that song. It was a peaceful moment. I have to say thank you to Crown. I have migraines, and one was coming on before their show and the music and the show soothed my soul. My migraine was dormant because of this show…WOW! The first corps of the night that gave me chill bumps! I knew with the staff they had they would be producing a great horn line and they did NOT disappoint me. Thank you Crown, from saving me from a horrible migraine! :)

Boston Crusaders-One of the crowd favorites. I was sitting around a lot of Crusaders. I enjoyed my time with the Crusaders in the crowd and on the field. We all bonded. I love the color guard here too, nice use of silks with the colors. It’s very pleasing to the eyes to see the contrast of the pinks and reds. The music is just wonderful. I enjoyed it all! The drill, the drumline, the color guard.

Bluecoats or BLLOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEE! Man they were clean, clean, clean. There was a big spread between this corps and the other three. The horn line was great! Their drum speak wasn’t offensive but it wasn’t really necessary either. The woman beside me asked, “What are they saying”? I said, “Nothing important”. Her son told her what was up. He was a Boston Crusader alumnus. 98-00. While they were clean and generated energy I just can’t remember much about their show except the drum speak. Their color guard was so clean. I wondered why they weren’t scoring higher. I can see how they will possibly be top 5. I guess if you have to use the mics it wasn’t too bad but I still don’t like it. I can’t get a good read on this show, I will have to see it again.

“The Cadets” or aka “The Emperor’s New Clothes” :huh: I had an open mind with this show. I got the concept but I was thinking about Hopkins’ Blog where he was talking about the schizophrenic girl in the show. And it bothered me. The drill was fantastic. The horn line is so talented as well as the drums of course. But for all this hype of this show…I just personally didn’t like it. It has nothing to do with bashing the corps. I had to explain the door to the people around me. Yes! People who had marched drum corps before as well! They all agreed. The woman beside me said “What is that an outhouse on the field”? (I loved that line). I said “no that’s the door to the dreamscape.” The crowd laughed at the “Twilight Zone” section and also the “doorbell” sound. But I talked to those around me and asked what they thought. We agreed the drill was great but the door was distracting as well as the girl wondering around the field. It takes away from what the rest of the corps is doing. I get the color guard uniforms but I don’t like anyone portraying anyone in any form of violence. I wasn’t a “Kill Bill” fan and I never have liked any kind of violence, in a dream or on a screen or on a football field. Even though they aren’t being violent on the field they are “representing it”. Heck there was even a fight in the audience during that show. I felt angry after watching that show. The show emotes some kind of angry feeling because of the music or the slamming on the drums or something; I can’t quite figure it out. Maybe it’s just the “idea”. Nothing memorable musically except the ballad was nice. I really didn’t like the pretentious whistling of the “Kill Bill” theme at the beginning. To each their own…what one man likes another may not. That’s why this is America and I have the right to not like this show. It has nothing to do with being dumb or “not getting” it. And Please don’t tell me that I have to like it, “Just because”.

The Cavaliers-The drill was incredible. The horn line was phenomenal and the color guard I didn’t care for their uniforms. But other then that…(clears throat)…they were effective. The drill, with the ladders and the section where the mellophones got on the ladder to play was just incredible. Also the soprano section where they grabbed two horns playing at once was just genius. The way they used the ladders in the drill, didn’t bother me. I enjoyed the Blues section of the music. I guess a different ending would be cool. Over all this was one of my favorite drills of the night.

The retreat was done like a last minute thought. I still don’t see how not having a Full retreat at a show like this is going to help them get out the parking lot any faster. I had to explain to the people around me AGAIN about their reasons for doing this. They were disappointed but understanding. However, did NOT like hearing “America O Canada” again. They thought it was redundant. As I did. How do Boston and The Magic get out of the parking lot any faster? How does having the color guard captain and the drum majors in the retreat…get them out of the parking lot any faster? Anyway…I would’ve stayed if the winners would’ve played the encore like it should be, but disappointed, we left.

My impressions of this show were that the three corps I didn’t like at all last year were my favorites of the night. They were just as innovative and entertaining as the others without any form of “drum speak” or talking. People just don’t like that talking, that’s the feeling I got from those around me and it was obvious. That was the general consensus. Overall a great night for drum corps.

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "idea" of it. I guess I should've clarified that. :)

I just download the Cadets APD...ugh....if only they didn't feel the need to amp the voice.

I thought that maybe...just maybe...I'd be ok with the "drum talk"....nope

I don't think I'll be bothering with anymore of their APDs

Nice review Lancer, I agreed with most of what you said also, except when it came to Cadets stuff. I agree about the door though, I don't really like the door too much, they could have used some other object to show the transition to the "Dreamscape." But, then they probably couldn't do the tricky four personality thing. But, as far as just music and drill goes outside of the concept, I think it's incredible.

We shoulda had a DCP party in Orlando, seems like lots of DCP Florida people. Ah, maybe next year. B)

First off I will be posting pictures later....

Live from Citrus Canker Bowl- DCI Orlando

It was a nice night for drum corps, although it was somewhat humid. But Thank God there was no tropical depression to mess up the night, it went out to sea! It didn’t even rain for once! However, that stadium was pretty raunchy smelling. It smelled like the hurricanes from last year or something. The overlap had water dripping from it and the seats were in awful condition. You could’ve gotten dirty, that’s for sure. No wonder no one will build them a new stadium they won’t take care of the one they got.

Anyway, that’s what you get for living in a swamp I guess…. :rock:

Don't know how I lost the quotes. Too tired to fix it.

Well, some of us grew up there (but got out as soon as we were old enough). Great review even though you didn't say hi. I just got back to Baltimore, so I'm too tired to counter-point. Don't have any opposites anyway. Just a couple of idle thoughts:

As one who was stuck in that traffic mess (the cops said there were multiple fatalities) I was sure that DCI would hold the show up. In typical fashion, they said forget the fans, but took a long break when a D1 corps was affected. Also, since everyone coming from the west (some of us are smart enough to stay in Tampa and get a Gulf breeze) was impacted by the traffic, we all hit the ticket line, gate, concession stands at the same time. The Mess, part II.

Quick corps thoughts:

Boston: Never seen such great use of color!!!! The misical program: why?

Glassmen: What you said, and more. Re-instated my booster club membership.

Bluecoats: Great visuals. Musically; Caravan and then a show that seemed slightly longer than the a Wagnerian Opera.

Cavaliers: Clean, creative, powerful. Could have done without the ladders. Do they really want a male guard?

Cadets: My favorite line was when my 8 year-old daughter, before the show started, saying "I'll bet you a hug that the lady dressed like a school girl goes through the door". Those Stephanies......... I think people are "getting" the show. Another why?

Edited by MiamiSun76

I thought it would have been cool for Spirit to include a "Blast" poster among the other Broadway shows...

Shane

Also the soprano section where they grabbed two horns playing at once was just genius.

The alternate between their trumpets and Flugelhorns that some of the guard brongs to them from the sidelines. They fake the look as if they are playing both at the same time.

Edited by csugrad