So I was watching Oakland Crusaders...

My husband and I purchased some more DVD legacies Saturday at DCI Orlando to avoid shipping costs :) We picked up 1975, 1976, 1983, 1986, 1989, 1993. I have 5 more besides those.

Anyway, I have been looking at 1975 Oakland Crusaders. First off I don't know much history about this corps so I want to learn more. They were incredible! I see they could march and play their arses off! :) :huh:

I also noticed that THEY were the ones who originally played "Malaga",not Madison like so many think, so I wondered, did they bring it to the drum corps world?

Sue, can you fill me in more on your wonderful corps! :rock::rock:

When did they leave the activity? I'm glad I watched this, now I'm going to watch 1976!

I also noticed that THEY were the ones who originally played "Malaga",

Well...not originally.

Argonne played that tune in 73 with a stellar horn line. Not sure who, if any, played it before that.

Well...not originally.

Argonne played that tune in 73 with a stellar horn line.  Not sure who, if any, played it before that.

I think it was Stan Kenton....................... B)

Interesting History, keep it coming guys. I just said that about "Malaga" cause todays kids act like Madison was the only one who ever played it and should play it. But I realized that Oakland played it in 75. I didn't think to look back further. Thanks for setting me straight though. I enjoy learning history of drum and bugle corps. :)

Lancerlady said:
My husband and I purchased some more DVD legacies Saturday at DCI Orlando to avoid shipping costs  🙂 We picked up 1975, 1976, 1983, 1986, 1989, 1993. I have 5 more besides those.

Anyway, I have been looking at 1975 Oakland Crusaders. First off I don't know much history about this corps so I want to learn more. They were incredible! I see they could march and play their arses off!  🙂 :huh:

I also noticed that THEY were the ones who originally played "Malaga",not Madison like so many think, so I wondered, did they bring it to the drum corps world?

Sue, can you fill me in more on your wonderful corps!  :rock:  :rock:

When did they leave the activity? I'm glad I watched this, now I'm going to watch 1976!

I marched in the Oakland Crusaders in the 70's We had probably one of the best drum major/ showmen in all of drum corps, Joel Allen! He was the heart of that Corps They also had one of the great drum lines of that time run by Tom Float. Chris Metzger of Madison 75-76 fame latter taught the horn line with Wayne Dillion, 76 Seneca Optimist soloist. I hope that helps a little. Do you know Don Schapero he worked 27th food truck in the 80's?

Edited by boxingfred

Anyway, I have been looking at 1975 Oakland Crusaders. First off I don't know much history about this corps so I want to learn more. They were incredible! I see they could march and play their arses off!  :) :rock:

We could have used a bit of marching our arses off in 77.

The corps went underground after 1980 and re-emerged in 86 in A class. stuck around until 1995. Became a band through to about 2001.

Check out www.delasalle-drumcorps.com

Regards,

John

I marched in the Oakland Crusaders in the 70's We had probably one of the best drum major/ showmen in all of drum corps, Joel Allen! He was the heart of that Corps They also had one of the great drum lines of that time run by Tom Float. Chris Metzger of Madison 75-76 fame latter taught the horn line with Wayne Downey 76 Seneca Optimist soloist.  I hope that helps a little. Do you know Don Schapero he worked 27th food truck in the 80's?

Shouldn't that be Wayne Dillion, '76 Seneca Optimsts soloist !!! :rock::rock:

• Like 1

Shouldn't that be Wayne Dillion, '76 Seneca Optimsts soloist !!!  :rock:  :rock:

I was looking at that sentence last night and trying to figure out just what he meant. Dillon is correect. Metzger was the horn instructor in 78.

Both weren't with us at the same time, at least that's the way I remember it. Dillon was the horn instructor in 80.

Regards,

John

• Like 1

I marched in the Oakland Crusaders in the 70's We had probably one of the best drum major/ showmen in all of drum corps, Joel Allen! He was the heart of that Corps They also had one of the great drum lines of that time run by Tom Float. Chris Metzger of Madison 75-76 fame latter taught the horn line with Wayne Downey 76 Seneca Optimist soloist.  I hope that helps a little. Do you know Don Schapero he worked 27th food truck in the 80's?

I remember Don. His son Doug marched mellophone with me back then.