what ever happen to tradition and honor

im glad that you understand,  my point was that most corps try to keep former

marchers on as staff to pass traditions, plus understanding where the drum corps came from why it played the types of music it did and all the heartaches that happened over the early years, why do you have certain awwards what does the colors mean , and so on  its true the troopers have new directors but they have kept their tradition listen to their music and it shows

I think its important to have former members teaching corps they marched in. It keeps that warm family environment alive. Members are quicker to dismiss those who come from other groups, and try to "change" things. Seattle has a mixture of former members teaching, as well as new staff who have built on traditions and incorporated some of their own. It's always nice to have someone teaching you, who knew where the corps was, and what it took to get to where it is now. Who would know how to teach the corps better, than someone who lived in it!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DrumCorpFan
and their placement shows what happens when you don't evolve. i have nothing against tradition. its important but at the sametime a corps needs to change certain things over time

Why?

Sometimes people just move on, though. Whatcha gonna do?

edit: And also, sometimes a long-time staffer or alum isn't necessarily the best person to run the corps. They may know the traditions and whatnot, but do they always have the know-how to operate a business and to keep the corps successful both on and off the field? For instance, remember that George Hopkins is a Crossmen alum, not a Garfield alum, and like his ideas or not, he seems to be pretty good at running his organization. Would you rather that your old corps be run by an alumnus or that it survive and prosper?

Edited by Orpheus

Why?

The scores go down, the placements drop, and the money doesn't come in as fast...and the "win, win, win" attitude moves people out the door. Not playing by the rules of design (whether it be show concept, amps, arranging style or what have you) sinks the show in todays DCI.

Your own Madison Scouts are a great example..The Scouts entertainment factor is iconic in its own right, but missing Finals in 2002 (and the subsequent aftermath) proved that there was no place for that kind of show in the DCI Top 12.

The Scouts "reboot" of 2003 is what will happen to a great many of the lower tier corps eventually if they are to move on in DCI's schemata...not that I am suggesting that this is a good or bad thing. Merely an observation.

Edited by bawker

While tradition and history are very important, and a big part of what separates the soul of the Drum Corps activity from marching bands...it can be argued that too much 'inbreeding,' especially in the staff, can lead to stagnation and an almost inevitable fall from the top 12 (Scouts anyone?). Just like at a corporation, sometimes a change in vision and leadership is exactly what is needed to create greatness.

Edited by Henson

The scores go down, the placements drop, and the money doesn't come in as fast...and the "win, win, win" attitude moves people out the door. Not playing by the rules of design (whether it be show concept, amps, arranging style or what have you) sinks the show in todays DCI.

Oh, I dunno ... I think a lot of other corps in 2000 thru 2002 were a lot more entertaining than the Scouts. The fact that Madison wasn't nearly as good from a purely technical standpoint as their competitors is what caused their placement to drop.

Oh, I dunno ... I think a lot of other corps in 2000 thru 2002 were a lot more entertaining than the Scouts.  The fact that Madison wasn't nearly as good from a purely technical standpoint as their competitors is what caused their placement to drop.

I'm not about to extoll..or "borg" :P... the virtues of Madison during this time frame, as you're right, there were plenty of other shows that were technically superior. However, what you saw from Madison then was a refusal to go down the design road that some others did, and they paid the price for it, especially in the visual and colorguard captions.

I just forsee some of the smaller organizations eventually changing their traditions in that same manner (The Pioneer, Troopers and so on) in order to keep up with what's taking place design-wise in DCI...if indeed, the desire to move up placement-wise becomes a priority over tradition.

Sometimes people just move on, though.  Whatcha gonna do?

edit:  And also, sometimes a long-time staffer or alum isn't necessarily the best person to run the corps.  They may know the traditions and whatnot, but do they always have the know-how to operate a business and to keep the corps successful both on and off the field?  For instance, remember that George Hopkins is a Crossmen alum, not a Garfield alum, and like his ideas or not, he seems to be pretty good at running his organization.  Would you rather that your old corps be run by an alumnus or that it survive and prosper?

I understand that. I was just saying it doesnt help to have a few alumni on board. We had a mixed staff at Cascades, a lot of them have also staffed at other places such as Blue Devils, and other corps of the like... So they've brought back other methods and traditions with them. More of our alumni have been current H.S. band directors who do provide great teaching to the corps, its not like the corps director just hired them for the sake of having alumni (i.e. certain corps) :-)

Guest DrumCorpFan

Your own Madison Scouts are a great example..The Scouts entertainment factor is iconic in its own right, but missing Finals in 2002 (and the subsequent aftermath) proved that there was no place for that kind of show in the DCI Top 12.

The Scouts "reboot" of 2003 is what will happen to a great many of the lower tier corps eventually if they are to move on in DCI's schemata...not that I am suggesting that this is a good or bad thing. Merely an observation.

So, corps must evolve because 12 people say so.